PCIII on a 2005 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lododenver

Reaction score
I need some advice on installing a PCIIIusb on my 05' FJR. Specifically, should I disconnect the O2 sensor or not? The instructions that came with the PCIII usb DOES NOT mention the O2 sensor but FJRtech.com says it should be disconnected. Of course FJRtech.com doesn't specifically state this applies to a 2005 FJR. So, should I disconnect the O2 sensor or leave it alone?

Also, I live in Denver and do most of my riding at high altitude. Is there a map or tweak better suited for this environment?

Thanks!

LoDoDenver

YES!!! Disconnect the O2 sensor. If you don't, then the ECU will try to counteract whatever the PCIII is changing.

Doesn't matter if its an 03-05 FJR. They are all the same. Don't know why dynojet hasn't changed their pathetic instructions. If you call them, they will tell you to disconnect the O2 sensor.

FJR has sensors which adjust the fuel injection for altitude/temperature changes and the PCIII doesn't stop them from doing their thing, so you should be ok with the normal maps, even at altitude. Of course its always ***ideal*** to have your own bike mapped on a dyno, but not necessary.

If you check the on-screen notes on your FJR map, you will most likely see the notation that the O2 sensor is disconnected. Still, it should be in the instructions.

Likewise, disconnected the O2 sensor and have the Holeshot map w/ the K+N, complete Holeshot system, and Iridium plugs. Runs like a bear. Note: I haven't felt the need to fuss with the mapping since the install of the Holeshot header. I'm still running with the one done for the stock headers and the Holeshot slipons. Seems very responsive although somewhat louder (no fault of the PCIII....) :D

Likewise, disconnected the O2 sensor and have the Holeshot map w/ the K+N, complete Holeshot system, and Iridium plugs. Runs like a bear. Note: I haven't felt the need to fuss with the mapping since the install of the Holeshot header. I'm still running with the one done for the stock headers and the Holeshot slipons. Seems very responsive although somewhat louder (no fault of the PCIII....) :D
Thanks guys. got it all installed before heading out ot Redding. Power is smooth as a glass. It boggs a bit @ 10000ft. There is a Dyno shop just up the road. I will talk to them about high altitude mapping today.

Has anyone used the accelerator (sp) pump?

Re: accelerator pump...

I thought about it, but given gas prices what they are today, and the propensity for the FJR to go too fast anyway... I'm holding off for now.

Has anyone used the accelerator (sp) pump?
Ahh, the ol’ PCIII Accelerator Pump feature (here after AP). Another topic that has a full spectrum of experiences/opinions with no one agreed on result. :rolleyes:

The AP has produced opinions from “it sucks, bike runs much worse” to “it does nothing I can detect except suck more gas” to my results of “big improvement with almost no gas mileage penalty”.

Armed with this valuable information ;) I suggest you install it, try it, modify the settings a bit and if not satisfied simply remove it. All at no cost and very little personal time used.

I came to the FJR from a motorcycle that produced neck snapping acceleration starting at 2.5k rpm. I found Feejer to be very weak in the knees until 6k rpm :angry2: so I was willing to give the AP a chance. I found enough of an improvement in low rpm acceleration (perceived improvement at least) to be able to live with Feejer.

The AP only works when the throttle is abruptly opened and only works for a very short time. For those that aren’t familiar with how it works here are the adjustables – The sensitivity of throttle movement under which the accelerator pump is activated; the amount of fuel to add; the number of engine revolutions during which fuel is added.

Settings may look like this:

90% Sensitivity

15% Fuel Increase

20 Engine Revolutions

I’m running 85% sensitivity; 17% fuel increase; 25 engine revolutions. I ride with either a full load (pillion) or a heavy hand and my gas mileage is in the 38 mpg range almost all the time. I’ve never seen better than 40.2 mpg even pre AP. I’ve never seen worse than 34.x mpg including New England Dragway evenings. When new, my mileage was in the 34 mpg range and since 2k miles it has been pretty consistent around 38 mpg with and without the AP.

Give it a try. If ya don’t like it, pull the plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on that reply Ion, I might actually give it a go sometime soon... thanks.