Penske or Olins for the rear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliick2

Reaction score
Friends, this summer A friend & I plan on taking a trip from Rochester,New York to Woodstock ,Georgia to Traxion Dynamics.

We both have 2006 FJR A's & have agreed that its time to upgrade our suspentions. Traxion offers both the Penske & Olins for

the rear shock. Is there any benifit by going with either company ,as far as rebuildability or ease of adjustment ? I would like to get the most for my bucks as you can imagine. If there is no real difference in the operation of the two ,I probably will go with the lesser cost. Looking forward to getting the cartridges in the front & a nice shock for the rear. The ride home should be

bliss. Thanks in advance for your input. Sliick

Ps.any info of your experiences ,pro or con will help us make the choice.

Unless they have changed design, the Ohlins is a hell of lot easier to adjust pre-load than the Penske. And a hell of a lot less fugly too. Ohlins is $$$$$ however. Not sure they are really worth the premium.

Don't know if you are getting the hi/lo speed compression dampening, but I know in the past Traxxion has said those adjusments didn't seem to work all that well on the Ohlins.

I love my Wilbers. If I had to buy again, and couldn't get a Wilbers, I don't know what I would buy. Probably the Penske, but their pre-load adjustment is BUTT UGLY. New Racetech stock would be interesting, but it's $$$$ too if I remember correctly.

Either way you go, you'll be happy.

I'm happy with the Penske. Preload is dialed in and isn't that hard to change, especially since the wife hops on back for a couple rides a year. I personally like the looks of the shock on the FJR, but I'm not as aesthetically in tune with my feminine side as Skooter is. :p

Unless your going back and forth between two-up riding and solo, preload ease is not a factor. You're only going to adjust it once. I think a 3-way shock is not necessary either since the benefit is nil for sport touring and it could make set-up more of a nightmare. Translation: no high speed compression damping. I'll just say that I've had experience with both and, although many will disagree, I found the Penske, once set up, to work flawlessly and the transformation is magic. Why not you get one and your buddy get the other?

I went with Ohlins for the better preload adjustment. Had a Penske on the VFR and increasing the preload to handle touring luggage weight was a pain. The Ohlin's remote preload adjuster is worth the $$$ if you ask me.

I went with a Hyper Pro (aka Wilbers) it has remote pre load, hi/lo speed compression dampening, rebound dampening and height adjustment. I got it over the holiday 15% off and it came to $1,000.00

Last edited by a moderator: