Perforated Leather?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilveradoSlick

Reaction score
So I've been thinking about getting some perforated leather. How hot does it have to be to make you trade in the leather for mesh and a sahara vest? I'd like to get the protection of leather, but if the perorated leather's not much cooler than solid leather (which I've already got) it's probably not worth it.

I'm a fairly "well insulated" (read fat) individual. I trade my pref leather jacket for mesh at 80-85. More along the 85 line.

Living in Texas, I passed on the perforated leather and went directly to the mesh riding gear (Cycleport). The perforated leather gear would work from about 75 to 80 or even 90 if you are on the move. Above 80, the mesh is a heck of a lot more effective, and can be worn down to about 75 degrees without any extra layers. So depending on the climate where you live, if it gets really hot, bypass the perf leather and get mesh. Just my advice, but it seems to work here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode in perforated leather a couple times, then I got stuck in traffice on a 90 degree day (heading into Chigaco). I thought I was going to die.

So then it was sopping wet and didn't dry over night. The next morning I nearly froze to death because it was wet.

Mesh is just more versital IMHO. If you get a little chilly, a layer underneath is all you need.

Better to be cool than over heated.

But true, it doesn't offer the same protection.

No more leathers for me unless it's a track day I'm headed too.

Yeah, I've got the mesh jacket and Kevlar jeans for when it's hot and solid leather for when it's cool to cold. I was hoping somebody would say the perf was good from 65 to 95 so I could justify getting it but it sounds like the perf isn't that much cooler than the solid. There's talk of a track day at WFO but I'm sure they rent leathers.

Yeah, I've got the mesh jacket and Kevlar jeans for when it's hot and solid leather for when it's cool to cold. I was hoping somebody would say the perf was good from 65 to 95 so I could justify getting it but it sounds like the perf isn't that much cooler than the solid. There's talk of a track day at WFO but I'm sure they rent leathers.
Think I saw somewhere the track day was canceled due to liability issues. Sorry, PM. <>< :(

I have a perforated Vanson- also solid nylon Tour Master ( zippers upper arms, chest, across back-for heat release) No contest, the Vanson feels like air conditioner is turned on when moving. Fl. hot humid 90. It is a big difference in comfort level as evaporation occurs it feels like cool air entering jacket. Dramatic difference over solid panel jacket, no liner, heat vents open.

I have tour master nylon mesh riding pants that are cool. But I wear draggin jeans over them -reason, I would never want to lay it down with nylon mesh between me and interstate. Wears hot.

So if nylon mesh jackets are what you are talking about- does cool = enough get off protection?

My solution for best protection vs. all temp ranges- and it just arrived, was cyleport kevlar mesh jacket and pants. Pants are not in yet but jacket is cool like vanson and a bit lighter in weight.

I have a perforated Vanson- also solid nylon Tour Master ( zippers upper arms, chest, across back-for heat release) No contest, the Vanson feels like air conditioner is turned on when moving. Fl. hot humid 90. It is a big difference in comfort level as evaporation occurs it feels like cool air entering jacket. Dramatic difference over solid panel jacket, no liner, heat vents open.
I bought a Vanson perforated jacket after I stopped in my favorite shop when it was 90 degrees outside. The owner told me to go for a test ride. I went up the block and turned right around and bought the jacket. It is cooler than riding without a jacket and there is no comparison with solid leather. Airflow is a must, if you stop or have a lot of fairing it will not be very effective. I wear this jacket whenever it is above 70 degrees. At 60 it gets a little cold and 95 is hot but I feel better with leather for protection. There is a big difference between perforated leathers, make sure your buying good stuff.

I currently wear a Alpinstar Per. Leather Jacket.

It was 102 when I went to lunch today.

If your moving, its not too bad, but when you get stuck in traffic, you will sweat, buckets.

I wear mine all the time, heat or not, I like the protection and it look goods to boot.

Mesh, would deffinately be cooler.

Mark

I also have the perforated vanson and love it up to 90 degrees when moving. It gets a little warm stopped in traffic. It gets chilly even with vents zipped up when the temp is in the 50's.

I wear a perforated Vanson, it stays comfy up to 85 degrees, after that I soak my long sleeve t shirt in water, wring it out a bit and put the coat on over the damp shirt, I stay cool up to atleast 100 with that....need to resoak the shirt every hour or two but the cooling of a wet shirt under perf leather is awesome. Until you stop, then it cant help. Dont stop.

I'll add another similar voice. I've got Joe Rocket perforated and solid 2 piece leathers. Perforated is considerably cooler than the solid, most noticeable when moving at a decent speed and more effective on the Blackbird (with less wind protection) than on the FJR. Still, above 85 degrees or so, I'm wearing the much less protective mesh gear. Same as others have said: you stop moving (or ride in 90+ degree weather even when moving), and even the perforated leather is too hot.

I'm using the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket and pants. The sleaves are perforated leather while the rest is mesh. Has good armor in the jacket and pants. Only complaint is the pants while have full length zippers on both legs, there is not enough taper at the ankels on the pants. This could hang on the pegs and have not so good results. I velcroed the hem and cured this problem. I've been using this same combo for 3 years and have had no problems and have rode in 100+ degree temps. Oh yea, just got my cooling vest and paid only $30.00 instead of the usual $50.00 paid for the Saraha vest. Only difference I see, the vest has no Sahara tag. PM. <>< ;)

In North Georgia with the humidity , 85 is about the top end , mine is black , you may be able to tolerate a few more degrees in a light color. In the colder months I wear a leather vest under it and have taken it down to 29