Performance mods;

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painman

Reaction score
Since I'm new to the sport bike game but have been involved in motorcycling for quite some time, my question is has anyone done any type of engine modifications or upgrades to the FJR? I know most would say that the FJR needs no power increases, but just curious about anyone doing increased cams or injectors or valve/head work on the FJR? I searched and found no info on this subject. I've read on exhaust and airbox improvments but no engine work. Are there parts in existance as in cams or heads available in the aftermarket or Yamaha? Anyone done or heard of this? Painman. <><

I'd imagine the factory has things pretty well optomized, other than how they're hamstrung by EPA. You could do a PCIII, header & mufflers, maybe even find a turbo & nitrous somehere. Never heard of aftermarket internals for this bike.

You're not trolling, are you?

Well, there's always NOX. Probably cheaper and easier than tearing the engine down. Wither way, you'd probably destroy any warranty. Maybe you should ride it first.... :rolleyes: I would think that if you want to emulate a GXR 1000, the first thing you could do is remove some weight and upgrade the suspension, change the brakes to handle any new acceleration....then think about adding cams, etc. I'd imagine it would take cubic dollars to gain any appreciable performance. I know of one owner who has done some engine work, but he has a friend who owns a raceing shop and is not specific about what they did to the engine. I couldn't catch him in Idaho, but I'm not nearly the capable rider he is (he's an ex-racer).

Hee-hee! TC and I were typing at the same time. :bleh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking to upgrade the motor right now. I haven't even got the bike yet. Just some food for thought. In the VTwin world there is so much that is available for those engines and I was just pondering the idea for future ideas, and looking to learn more on this type of motor. Makes one think of the possibilities though....PM. <>< :D

My thoughts where higher compression would be the next step after exhaust, fuel mapping. Lack of performance mods surprises me too

When one starts out with a 1300 v twin that makes 68 hp, then performance mods are likely to be plentiful. When you start with a 1300 in line 4 that's turning out 126 at the rear wheel, on a bike that is intended for touring then the performance upgrades are less likely.

This thread is 3 1/2 years old. I think Del has decided the FJR has enough power. :rolleyes:

There is very little performance gains to be had by changing the headers or tailpipes. I have had my bike dyno tuned by Dynojet UK. I had a base map installed and optimized for a standard system. Then installed new decat downtubes/headers and retuned by Dynojet (this was all done on the same day). There was no improvement in performance, actually a slight loss in power. Also to add, the fuelling was all over the place, and took dynojet a fair time altering the mapping to get a stable afr across the rev range. With the new decat headers my MPG was around 35 mpg on motorway criusing, 75-80mph. I reinstalled the original downpipes, installed the base map from Dynojet, I now achieve mid 40's mpg at the same motorway speed.

A Power Commander can give you a crisp and smooth throttle response but no real performance gains on a FJR.

Also Useless Pickles dynoed his modified bike- exhaust, airfilter and Motty Ecu and compared it to a new unmodified bike and there was very little in performance.

After market exhausts are for noise and looks only.

Unless someone can come up with a cam kit or turbo/supercharger, install a PC for throttle response. Save your money for more worth while mods.

BTW Forsale a set of stainless steel decat Headers ( only 300 miles worth of use) by Holeshot Performance.

Andy

There is very little performance gains to be had by changing the headers or tailpipes. I have had my bike dyno tuned by Dynojet UK. I had a base map installed and optimized for a standard system. Then installed new decat downtubes/headers and retuned by Dynojet (this was all done on the same day). There was no improvement in performance, actually a slight loss in power. Also to add, the fuelling was all over the place, and took dynojet a fair time altering the mapping to get a stable afr across the rev range. With the new decat headers my MPG was around 35 mpg on motorway criusing, 75-80mph. I reinstalled the original downpipes, installed the base map from Dynojet, I now achieve mid 40's mpg at the same motorway speed. A Power Commander can give you a crisp and smooth throttle response but no real performance gains on a FJR.

Also Useless Pickles dynoed his modified bike- exhaust, airfilter and Motty Ecu and compared it to a new unmodified bike and there was very little in performance.

Unless someone can come up with a cam kit or turbo/supercharger, install a PC for throttle response. Save your money for more worth while mods.

BTW Forsale a set of stainless steel decat Headers ( only 300 miles worth of use) by Holeshot Performance.

Andy
Another use of decatted pipes is to remove the heat source of the cats from under the bike on 1st gens. It has been well reported that this does reduce the summertime misery somewhat.

I am tempted to try your pipes with the quiet stock exhaust cans (already have a PCIII) but I fear that the shipping costs from the UK would be somewhat prohibitive. That and we don't get all that many really hot days here in New England. ;)

There is very little performance gains to be had by changing the headers or tailpipes. I have had my bike dyno tuned by Dynojet UK. I had a base map installed and optimized for a standard system. Then installed new decat downtubes/headers and retuned by Dynojet (this was all done on the same day). There was no improvement in performance, actually a slight loss in power. Also to add, the fuelling was all over the place, and took dynojet a fair time altering the mapping to get a stable afr across the rev range. With the new decat headers my MPG was around 35 mpg on motorway criusing, 75-80mph. I reinstalled the original downpipes, installed the base map from Dynojet, I now achieve mid 40's mpg at the same motorway speed. A Power Commander can give you a crisp and smooth throttle response but no real performance gains on a FJR.

Andy
Another use of decatted pipes is to remove the heat source of the cats from under the bike on 1st gens. It has been well reported that this does reduce the summertime misery somewhat.

I am tempted to try your pipes with the quiet stock exhaust cans (already have a PCIII) but I fear that the shipping costs from the UK would be somewhat prohibitive. That and we don't get all that many really hot days here in New England. ;)
I'll find out shipping costs if you are genuinely interested. I'm not interested in making a profit, just to recoup some of the cost. lets Haggle :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy

I'll find out shipping costs if you are genuinely interested. I'm not interested in making a profit, just to recoup some of the cost. lets Haggle :D
One of the reason your fuel curve might have been all over the place was because you might not have removed the pair system, when you install a PC5 dynojet specifically calls out to remove it due to the inaccurate AFR reading due to the feedback loop that causes. Just a thought!

One of the reason your fuel curve might have been all over the place was because you might not have removed the pair system, when you install a PC5 dynojet specifically calls out to remove it due to the inaccurate AFR reading due to the feedback loop that causes. Just a thought!

I don't think the pair system had an impact, because the base map/optimized with the original downpipes didnt have huge fuelling adjustments, just small increments.

The dyno chart is not the full story, especially if you are focused only on the peak HP and peak TQ numbers. I had a mix of gains and losses throughout the RPM range, but the end result is an overall gain in acceleration times.

My best 1/4 mile run on my previous (nearly stock) FJR was 11.36s @ 120mph

My new modded FJR has done it in 10.89s @ 126mph, and during that run it got up to 120mph in 9.7s (compared to the 11.36s of my previous FJR).

I don't know about you, but I would not call that "very little in performance".

Here's a side-by-side comparison of my bike to a stock bike at the drag strip:

More details here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=121461

And details about the dyno results here: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=120164

+gunny.

Although peak numbers were very close on our bikes, the midrange gains are substantial. I've ridden U/P's bike back to back with mine, and the dyno numbers do not tell the whole story.

The dyno chart is not the full story, especially if you are focused only on the peak HP and peak TQ numbers. I had a mix of gains and losses throughout the RPM range, but the end result is an overall gain in acceleration times.

My best 1/4 mile run on my previous (nearly stock) FJR was 11.36s @ 120mph

My new modded FJR has done it in 10.89s @ 126mph, and during that run it got up to 120mph in 9.7s (compared to the 11.36s of my previous FJR).

I don't know about you, but I would not call that "very little in performance".

Here's a side-by-side comparison of my bike to a stock bike at the drag strip: