Personal heating and cooling system

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not had personal experience with this one. I use a "Texascoolvest" with extra gel cells in a insulated bag in the trunk(google it) when I have to ride in really hot weather down here. You obviously have the same problem with humidity in AL.

The problem with most of these systems is that they only keep you from boiling over, they're not like sitting in an air conditioned cage. I rode home on I-45 once at 104F with the cool vest on. Felt like my hands and feet were on fire but the rest of me was just "comfortable"ish.

Also, be careful of any of the ones that plug in as the current load can be really high compared to what is available from your bike. When they say suplimental heating or cooling is available, it won't be much over whatever is in the cooler jug. People give off roughly 500w of heat so, given various inefficiencies, you'd be way over the bikes power limit to try to take even 1/3 away from that. I messed with Peltier cells for a while until I figured out how much power they would need.

BMW had an optional fridge in the trunk of the LT for a while, it might be interesting to find out what kind of power consumption it had and if it could be adapted to something like this

I've not had personal experience with this one. I use a "Texascoolvest" with extra gel cells in a insulated bag in the trunk(google it) when I have to ride in really hot weather down here. You obviously have the same problem with humidity in AL.
The problem with most of these systems is that they only keep you from boiling over, they're not like sitting in an air conditioned cage. I rode home on I-45 once at 104F with the cool vest on. Felt like my hands and feet were on fire but the rest of me was just "comfortable"ish.

Also, be careful of any of the ones that plug in as the current load can be really high compared to what is available from your bike. When they say suplimental heating or cooling is available, it won't be much over whatever is in the cooler jug. People give off roughly 500w of heat so, given various inefficiencies, you'd be way over the bikes power limit to try to take even 1/3 away from that. I messed with Peltier cells for a while until I figured out how much power they would need.

BMW had an optional fridge in the trunk of the LT for a while, it might be interesting to find out what kind of power consumption it had and if it could be adapted to something like this
I've been thinking about one of the Texas cool vests especially since it's getting pretty warm now.

What model do you have...the standard or the light? I also noticed that they're local...do they have a retail option at their HQ or are they just online?

Check out the Miracool Reversible Vest.
Concur. Evaporative cooling is far more space, weight, electrically, and financially efficient for bike riders than this thing. And the Miracool has the most capacity I've experienced.....it lasts the whole day even on IBR days across summer temperatures of Arizona.

Concur. Evaporative cooling is far more space, weight, electrically, and financially efficient for bike riders than this thing. And the Miracool has the most capacity I've experienced.....it lasts the whole day even on IBR days across summer temperatures of Arizona.
Iggy how big are you and what size vest did you buy?

Man, talk about being an optimist! I bought a Techniche evap. vest about a month ago in case it got stupid hot on the way to CFR (I also covered the other extreme with a heated jacket liner)...

Guess which one will probably get used.

Regardless, better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Evaporative doesn't work so great in the Southeast (due to high humidity levels) but toting around a cooler for cooling doesn't work so well either). And; didn't care for their website navigation either.

As noted above, evaporative cooling really doesn't work here too well. One other thing about the cooler full of ice is that the circulated fluid will be somewhere above 32F (duh!) but probably not more than 50F or so. One of the things about the coolvest is that the magic fluid in the cells changes state at 65F. That's a LOT more comfortable a temperature than in the low to mid thirtys. Ever had an ice pack on a busted limb? Notice how uncomfortable it is after a short period of time? The change of state from solid to liquid is where the big heat transfer occurs (latent heat of fusion) and if it occurs at 65F instead of 32F, it feels a lot better.

Dwight, I've got the deniem version, I think it's the "standard" one. There was something about the "light" version I didn't like but I can't remember what just now. The guy that designed and sells them is in reality a real estate appraiser (or something like that) and just got together with some guy from NASA to develop the vest. The fluid is a simple mix of salts, you can change the proportions to get different melting temperatures (but don't try this at home). I think they're actually listed on the MSDS sheets. He said he made a bunch for some Indonesians that changed state closer to 75F because the guys thought 65F was too cold. He sells them out of his office down on Harwin. You can imaging what that looks like......just an office with peeling wallpaper in a nondescript building. Better to order one from the 'net. Has a 30 or 90 day full money back guarentee if you don't like it. Nice guy to deal with.

Dwight, I've got the deniem version, I think it's the "standard" one. There was something about the "light" version I didn't like but I can't remember what just now. The guy that designed and sells them is in reality a real estate appraiser (or something like that) and just got together with some guy from NASA to develop the vest. The fluid is a simple mix of salts, you can change the proportions to get different melting temperatures (but don't try this at home). I think they're actually listed on the MSDS sheets. He said he made a bunch for some Indonesians that changed state closer to 75F because the guys thought 65F was too cold. He sells them out of his office down on Harwin. You can imaging what that looks like......just an office with peeling wallpaper in a nondescript building. Better to order one from the 'net. Has a 30 or 90 day full money back guarentee if you don't like it. Nice guy to deal with.
Thanks! I wasn't expecting anything fancy for shopping. It just seems a little silly to pay $20 for shipping when they're 5 miles from my office. I'll give them a call to see about a pick-up order.

I've got a birthday coming up and this seems like a nice present for myself!

And, based on their marketing photos, it looks damn sexy on you, Iggy!!

IggyVest.JPG

What's that yer leaning on there in yer "Green Acres" pose? Is that yer hoe?