Personal Injury Protection - Massachusetts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willie

Reaction score
Recently I was involved in a deer hit in Clyde Park, MT. My GF suffered a broken leg as a result of the hit, otherwise we are fine. Below is the post I put on the New England Forum. Essentially Personal Injury Protection, known as PIP in the insurance industry, covers up to the limits you have for exactly what it says, injuries as a result of an accident. In MA, we are charged for this on motorcycles ($1.00), however there is an exclusionary paragraph someplace in the policy that eliminates this coverage while operating a motorcycle or being on one at the time of the accident.

I found this out after our accident. Thankfully we both have regular health insurance, which I presume her broken leg, ambulance ride, hospital care, doctor care, etc will be covered by her health insurance.

You might want to check with your own insurance company, agent if you are covered. Just a thought, so you are not surprised when this happens to you. Don't simply rely on what your agent thinks, make them research it and get it in writing if they say you are covered. My agent was as shocked as I was. Keep in mind they sell insurance, it does not necessarily mean they understand everything in the policy. Whether they should is probably one of those never ending pointless things.

Willie

NER Posting =================

Check your insurance

I was recently involved with a run in with a deer in Montana. MeAsWe sustained a broken leg in the accident and the bike was totaled.

I received a letter from the insurance company that stated that any injuries incurred as a result of the accident are not covered.

I have full coverage for the bike we were driving. I also have Personal Injury Coverage for 8,000 per person which I paid a premium of 1.00 for each bike, I have 3 bikes. For the car I paid 32.00.

The exact language I received in the letter from my insurance company said.

"Our investigation indicated you were operating your 2007 Yamaha Motorcycle at the time of this loss. I refer you to the Massachusetts Automobile Policy, Part 2, Personal Injury Protection (PIP) page 7, where it states:

"We will not pay PIP benefits to or for (1) anyone who, at the time of the accident, was operating or occupying a motorcycle, any motor vehicle not subject to motor vehicle registration, or a motorized bicycle including a moped"

Since you were operating a motorcycle at the time of this loss, we are unable to honor any PIP claim for you injuries in this loss."

Essentially this letter was provided as a rejection of medical benefits under my motor vehicle policy, which then makes you rely on your health coverage.

I was shocked when I found this out. My agent was just as shocked as I was, so relying on your agent is not always foolproof. It is unfortunate one has to find out that your coverage is limited after the fact.

I am curious what others have experienced or find out from their insurance company. I am relunctant to post which insurance company I have at this time, however my agent covers 3 companies and I was told it is the same deal for all 3 companies. What was really an eye opener for me, was back in 2005 I had no health insurance due to my unemployment status. My son rode on the back many times during this period. Enough said.

Willie

Update: I looked for my policy and could not find the actual policy. I called my agent I was told I received this when I did my initial policy in 2005. Since this did not change, I did not receive any further written correspondence on this, but simply received the coverage page and bill each subsequent year. I would need to find the original policy to see this wording myself and I would have needed to have the wherewithall to have read this and comprehend what it meant then.

End NER Posting ============

Willie,

That is total bullshit. If you are not going to be covered when operating a motorcycle, why did they collect the $1.00 premium on your motorcycle portion of your policy? Which then gives you the impression that you are covered? If they were NOT going to cover you, there should be a blank under that heading.

IMO, they (the ins co.) are intentionally deceiving the insureds when they do something like that.

What other possible reason is there to collect the dollar? That dollar is not buying any coverage.

I would sick your SO's health insurance company lawyers on them.

Willie,

That is total bullshit. If you are not going to be covered when operating a motorcycle, why did they collect the $1.00 premium on your motorcycle portion of your policy? Which then gives you the impression that you are covered? If they were NOT going to cover you, there should be a blank under that heading.

IMO, they (the ins co.) are intentionally deceiving the insureds when they do something like that.

What other possible reason is there to collect the dollar? That dollar is not buying any coverage.

I would sick your SO's health insurance company lawyers on them.
After I get my settlement check on the FJR, I will then follow up on that exact question. Knowing the way politics work in this state, it was probably something to do with legislation, allowing the insurance company to do exactly that. After all they are politicians and how long have they been deceiving us.

Willie

I thought there was a Federal law passed a few years ago that specifically prevented insurance companies from excluding motorcycles. Check with the AMA also? Their legislative branch is on top of stuff like this.

I'm certainly no expert on this -- but, I think it's alot like many "no-fault" states where motorcyclists are excluded from medical coverage? :unsure:

You must have (or, buy) separate medical coverage (in 'no-fault' states) for motorcycle crashes. :eek:

Yes, you are quite right. Apparently, according to this web site they are within the law to collect the $1 PIP fee as they will supposedly cover you at some other ridiculous times, like when you are standing next to your bike.

Latest posts