Personal Spare Parts Inventory

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evil_henchman

Reaction score
I suggest the following:

Every part needed for fork rebuilds, i.e., bushings, oil seals, dust seals, oil seal spacers.

I had an oil seal blow out last weekend. I thought no big deal, I'll get the parts at the dealer and it won't screw up my ride plans. NOT! No dealer within 100 miles of sacramento had ANY fork parts and they all have a 5 day + lead time. I found oil seals in Stockton but nothing else. I had to make do with bushings and dust seals that should have been replaced but I have a big ride planned which I'm now a day behind on. I also had to learn how to rebuild forks, make a damper wrench, etc. So not a total loss ;)

All the parts needed are less than $50 from Gary McCoy and you can bet they're going to be on my shelf from now on.

Any other similar parts suggestions?

Good suggestion about keeping the parts in stock. It would save a lazy guy like me some time if you posted the list of part numbers. Maybe even ask Gary to keep the list and sell it as a fork maintenance package.

There's certainly nothing wrong with this approach, but you certainly need to weigh the cost vs. the chance you'll suddenly need to do a fork rebuild with less than 5-days notice. How many times has this happened to me in 35-years of riding on 50+ bikes: exactly zero.

- Mark

Wow, I never considered fork rebuild stuff. My personal inventory is more along the lines of a handful of each type of the stupid plastic connectors and small fairing bolts.

Plus duct tape, of course. :D

I'm with you on the plastic connectors...never know when you'll need one. I also keep light bulbs and a few of the screws that hold the fairing on (in case I lose one or one looks like it's in bad shape). As far as the fork rebuild kit, is there any concern for a "shelf life" of any of the seals, rubber parts, etc? Do they get dry and brittle sitting on a shelf over time and become less effective (or even useless)? Just wondering since I live in a very dry climate.

I'm with you on the plastic connectors...never know when you'll need one. I also keep light bulbs and a few of the screws that hold the fairing on (in case I lose one or one looks like it's in bad shape). As far as the fork rebuild kit, is there any concern for a "shelf life" of any of the seals, rubber parts, etc? Do they get dry and brittle sitting on a shelf over time and become less effective (or even useless)? Just wondering since I live in a very dry climate.
Take them out and put grease all over them. :D

Good idea! And as Woody suggests, those small fasteners comes in handy (skooter has an inventory of fasteners and other tighten 'em up bits that he keeps in his empty Gerber's jars out in his Susie Homemaker EZ Bake Oven set up), given the propensity of these items to vaporize as you prep you bike just before a major trip...

Making my list now. I gotta order the inside fairing piece (failed experiment) and might as well get it all at the same time.

Thanks guys for the reminder and suggestions!