Philips Headlight Bulbs This Time?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim'sonDFJR

Reaction score
Time to replace my Silverstars, both high beams went out within the past week with about 4,000 riding miles. Longevity of these bulbs stink. I see that Philips has two H4 bulbs for motorcycles; one they call "Extra Duty" and the other "Motovision". These bulbs are expensive and difficult to find. I'm not sure if you can even buy them in the US? I've only seen them for sale from Europe. Are they worth paying twice what the Silverstars go for?

I know this headlight thing has been kicked around before, but I didn't see anything on the two motorcycle specific bulbs I mentioned above. Anyone have experience with theses Philips bulbs? Thanks

Tim

Time to replace my Silverstars, both high beams went out within the past week with about 4,000 riding miles. Longevity of these bulbs stink. I see that Philips has two H4 bulbs for motorcycles; one they call "Extra Duty" and the other "Motovision". These bulbs are expensive and difficult to find. I'm not sure if you can even buy them in the US? I've only seen them for sale from Europe. Are they worth paying twice what the Silverstars go for?
I know this headlight thing has been kicked around before, but I didn't see anything on the two motorcycle specific bulbs I mentioned above. Anyone have experience with theses Philips bulbs? Thanks

Tim
I haven't tried the Philips but i did install a pair of Wagner TRUVIEW, model 9003TV. The light output is really good compared to the stock lamps. I believe I paid $13 each at NAPA.

cadman

Last edited by a moderator:
Silverstars pale in comparison (pun intended) to the PIAA Xtreme white bulbs I put in all three street bikes. I haven't had one burn out yet, and they put out alot more light without drawing more current. Definitely worth the greater price.

Tim'sonDFJR said:
Silverstars pale in comparison (pun intended) to the PIAA Xtreme white bulbs I put in all three street bikes. I haven't had one burn out yet, and they put out alot more light without drawing more current. Definitely worth the greater price.

The PIAA's may be the answer as I see they are available in the US. A little on the expensive side, even more than the Philips Motovisions. Who has the best price for the 2 pack?

The Silverstar bulbs were The Shit to have when they first came out many years ago. But a lot has changed since then.

For those who elect to stay with halogen technology, the preferred H4 bulb today is the Osram (Sylvania) "Night Breaker" bulbs.

Linky-link ==> Osram Night Cutters

Pic:
nightbreakerh4.jpg

I run the PIAA 15224 H4 Style Xtreme White 12V 60/55=110/100-Watt Bulb - Twin Pack in my other bike and have about 10k miles on them and they still work perfectly (so far). Purchased off of Amazon.com for about $50.

I installed the Sylvania 9003/H4 SilverStar Ultra Twin Pack for the FJR at AutoZone for about $35. I have been running the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra’s in my Ford P/U for over two years and they still work great.

Like anything electrical, might last for years for you and blow-out in days with me. You just never know.

The Piaa’s and the Ultra’s look the same going down the road at night. They do light things up better than the OEM bulbs.

Just make sure you don’t touch the bulbs with your fingers while installing. If you do, clean with alcohol before proceeding.

For those who elect to stay with halogen technology, the preferred H4 bulb today is the Osram (Sylvania) "Night Breaker" bulbs.
nightbreakerh4.jpg
Hmmmm,This is timely

I've been running the SilverStars for years now ...much better than the typical oem type ...but I'm frugal cheap SOB and I hate to spend 20bucks a bulb when they don't last worth a darn shit. I'm going through many sets a season. Just today was cursing that I need to pick up a pair or two more for to have in reseve on upcoming rides.

I'll try these OSRAMs, perhaps they'll last longer, perhaps I'll just kick myself more for not switching to a HID set-up like I should have done long ago ....I could have paid for it now with what I've spent on halogens.

"Cheap procrastinator" will be on my tombstone.

OH, anyone know the going rate for these?? ...any good US sources?? Me likely go here(clicky) unless someone says otherwise

...and ramblings: ....last winter going down to Pinks RTE for hot dogs ...blew a silverstar north of Lone Pine ...no big deal, coast into Hollywood with one light me thinks. ...in Lone Pine the other one goes (at least the bulbs are consistent) .....hidden on a back shelf in the town hardware store two dusty H4's circa fred flintstone. Threw those babies in and:

.... a cloudy, dim, yellow shadow illuminated from the front of my bike. Bulbs make a big difference.

RJ,

I just bought a set of those off the 'Bay aboot an hour ago. I'll let you know how fast they come to me. I paid $38 shipped.

Now I may get whooped up for this, but there isn't any DIRECT replacement HID setup for the FJR is there? When people talk aboot that they mean the HID Driving lights right? Or am I mistaken?

WC, are you running the OSRAM's? Or are they the new favorite with LD riders?

WC, are you running the OSRAM's? Or are they the new favorite with LD riders?
I would use them if I was still using halogen technology (all of my bikes are converted to HID lighting.) That said, I have seen the Night Breakers in action, and they are simply outstanding.

As far as being the new favorite with LD Riders.... they are (relatively) new, so word about them is still spreading. LD Riders who still use halogen typically use the Philips Vision Plus or Silverstars, with more and more going with the Night Breakers.

The above having been said... most of the serious, competitive LD Riders have switched to HID technology loooooong ago (I did started way back in 1999). If you are serious about seeing well at night, halogen technology isn't the way to go. High Intensity Discharge (HID) has truly re-defined night riding for motorcyclists... particularly when riding in known heavy deer country.

The Silverstar bulbs were The Shit to have when they first came out many years ago. But a lot has changed since then.

Linky-link ==> Osram Night Cutters

Pic:
nightbreakerh4.jpg
Thanks for the reply.... Do the Night Breakers last longer than the Silverstars? or are they to new to judge.

Thanks big guy :good: 'Preciate the info. When I get them, I'll try to do a small review for any interested.

The above having been said... most of the serious, competitive LD Riders have switched to HID technology loooooong ago (I did started way back in 1999). If you are serious about seeing well at night, halogen technology isn't the way to go. High Intensity Discharge (HID) has truly re-defined night riding for motorcyclists... particularly when riding in known heavy deer country.
I also ride in deer country, I leave for work at dawn and come home usally after dark. I am still using the stock lights, the bike is an '05 but I have only had the bike 2 months. I spent over an hour last night lookin thru old posts about light upgrades but could only find add-ons that were "off-road only" I dont come across alot of traffic at night but enough that I can't blind them. I run with high beams on even though it pisses them off but I like to see!! :bigeyedsmiley: I find myself riding more and more at night. Is the only way to really see good at night at speed is with a pair of add-ons bolted on the side of the bike?

I do not know anything about HID, except they are expensive. It would still be cheaper than if I hit deer. It's only money right? Are they a replacemnet for stock lights? Can somone give a link for info on HIDs please?

I left my OEM headlights unmodified. I run the Philips in them and they work well (and last well). I chose to mod my PIAA 910's to HID instead.

I also ride in deer country, I leave for work at dawn and come home usally after dark. I am still using the stock lights, the bike is an '05 but I have only had the bike 2 months. I spent over an hour last night lookin thru old posts about light upgrades but could only find add-ons that were "off-road only" I dont come across alot of traffic at night but enough that I can't blind them. I run with high beams on even though it pisses them off but I like to see!! :bigeyedsmiley: I find myself riding more and more at night. Is the only way to really see good at night at speed is with a pair of add-ons bolted on the side of the bike?

I do not know anything about HID, except they are expensive. It would still be cheaper than if I hit deer. It's only money right? Are they a replacemnet for stock lights? Can somone give a link for info on HIDs please?
slim ballasts

click

That last link is in there for a hint as to where you might find some HIDs cheap, the 35w version anyways.

I run the Silverstars bulbs in my Bandit too. LIke some of you mentioned they wern't lasting for a great length of time. I happened to complain to a Sylvania rep one day at work (I was working at an auto parts store at the time) and he asked if I was running the high beam most of the time. I thought about it and realized yes I was. I usually ran with the high beam on during daytime and only switched to low beam at night when I was either following someone or had oncoming traffic. He explained that possibly the extra heat generated by running the high beams most of the time could be the cause for the premature failure. I changed my riding habits and switched to running low beam most of the time, only use the high beam at night and to flash at daytime traffice. Since I've started doing that, I haven't had a bulb fail in over 2 years now.

Ray

The OEM bulbs that come with the bike are Philips H4 Halogens - they are very good.

Note that any bulb that promises more lumens with the same wattage is lying. There are some potential psychological gains that can be realised by choosing 'blue' bulbs because the eye can be more sensitive to the bluer hues - but those are realised by filtering out the reds from the spectrum, not by increasing the light output. With 'conventional' technology it is in the watts and in the filament. 9003 bulbs (and presumably Nightcutters and the like) achieve a lot of their intensity by being more careful in the placement of and size of the area lit up by the filament - the tighter the ball of light, the better focused it will be on the road, which means more of the bulb's light where you want it. The drawback is that the heat is more concentrated, which often leads to premature bulb failure (like the SilverStars).

If you choose to increase the wattage, you might want to consider a relay and harness to take headlight power directly from the battery and to preserve the bike's internal relay.

As it happens we lose a fair percentage of power in the stock wiring - when the modulator is flashing the marker lights dim perceptibly - that means that the headlight IS losing juice - and a higher wattage bulb will lose MORE juice. Bulbs are very sensitive to voltage, so a heavy duty harness is a good solution even if you don't change your bulbs out.

Changing the headlight to HID has some fallout; First of all your lighting is not going to be legal. Second, if you run a modulator now, you won't be after you swap out the lighting. On the other hand, conventional HID technology consumes 35 watts per bulb compared with 55 or 60 for the OEM lighting, so you can save some watts.

However the reflector in the FJR is not designed for HID bulbs and most conversions therefore have issues with dazzle and light spill. The problem is primarily with placement of the plasma ball, but also the size of the ball itself puts it outside of the optimum spot for the reflector.

I have Hella Micro DE Xenon (true HID) driving lights mounted on Garauld's brackets under my mirrors. They are very small, quite effective and I happened to find myself a set for an excellent price on Ebay - Ballast placement is an issue - though I saw where one member simply extended the high voltage wiring and tucked them under his seat - not sure how much my Autocom would like that, mind you.

Slim ballasts are available, though they tend to suffer from premature failure - probably the Chinese took lots of design shortcuts, not to mention that the heat they produce is concentrated in a smaller space . . . but they are easier to stuff into the confines of the Gen-II's tight front end.

I do have a couple of photos on my webshots page. Here's one . . .

Note that the headlights are ON in this picture.

For any interested parties, I bought the OSRAM Night Cutters and on low beams, to me, they are ehh...ok. But the high beams are fantasticly brighter. I wish I could get more on the low beams. Some HID's might have to be on order.