Phoenix Area FJR Service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creyaz

Reaction score
Hi There,

Looking for feedback on Phoenix area service. My '06 FJR is approaching the 26K service interval, and I'd like to take it to a good shop for service.

Would appreciate any comments, good or bad.

Thanks . . . Chris

Come on Zonies! Wake up!

Beemerdons and SkooterG may have drank more german kool-aid, so....

There are other good folks out there too. Mark and Duke are probably out riding. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested in this too, I also need some work done in Phoenix. I heard on this forum that the Cycle Center in Casa Grande is a good place but that's like 60-70mi from me, there has to be somewhere closer.

I'm interested in this too, I also need some work done in Phoenix. I heard on this forum that the Cycle Center in Casa Grande is a good place but that's like 60-70mi from me, there has to be somewhere closer.
Oh, there are other places closer, and cheaper, but as far as I am concerned, none better. After taking my FJR to a few different shops in the Phoenix area and having various issues, I will never again stray. Only The Cycle Center in Casa Grande works on my bikes. Period.

Where you gonna take it? To one of the Great Evil Ride Now dealerships? Where it's run like a car dealership and they REALLY don't care about you or your bike, just your money? And some recent MMI grad with no experience will be working on your FJR? Probably the first he has ever seen?

I like the folks at the Apache motorcycle dealerships -either in central Phoenix, or in Scottsdale. But once again, young and relatively inexperienced techs working on your FJR. Sure I liked dealing with them all on a personal level, but that didn't stop them from screwing up something on my FJR every time I brought in to them.

Youse gets what youse pays for, and sometimes a bit of hassle is worth the piece of mind that your baby was worked on with the same care and attention to detail that you would do yourself.

Oh, there are other places closer, and cheaper, but as far as I am concerned, none better. After taking my FJR to a few different shops in the Phoenix area and having various issues, I will never again stray. Only The Cycle Center in Casa Grande works on my bikes. Period.

Where you gonna take it? To one of the Great Evil Ride Now dealerships? Where it's run like a car dealership and they REALLY don't care about you or your bike, just your money? And some recent MMI grad with no experience will be working on your FJR? Probably the first he has ever seen?

I like the folks at the Apache motorcycle dealerships -either in central Phoenix, or in Scottsdale. But once again, young and relatively inexperienced techs working on your FJR. Sure I liked dealing with them all on a personal level, but that didn't stop them from screwing up something on my FJR every time I brought in to them.

Youse gets what youse pays for, and sometimes a bit of hassle is worth the piece of mind that your baby was worked on with the same care and attention to detail that you would do yourself.
That's why he'll only sleep over at Beemerdons' house. He wants his baby worked on with the same care and attention that he would do himself.

Perverts!

Looking for feedback on Phoenix area service. My '06 FJR is approaching the 26K service interval, and I'd like to take it to a good shop for service.Would appreciate any comments, good or bad.

Thanks
Where you gonna take it? To one of the ...dealerships? Where it's run like a car dealership and they REALLY don't care about you or your bike, just your money? And some recent MMI grad with no experience will be working on your FJR? Probably the first he has ever seen?But once again, young and relatively inexperienced techs working on your FJR.

...your baby was worked on with the same care and attention to detail that you would do yourself.
Ugh. This is what gives me pause as I get ready to take my bike in for its first valve check. Where to go and feel confident they know what they are doing?
Find a Yamaha Five-Star Certified Service Center. This means that their service technicians are factory trained and certified by Yamaha Motor Corporation to service your Yamaha.
It's like any other profession -- a trained motorcycle repair technician need not have seen your FJR (or any FJR) in order to perform proper maintenance and repair. They have the requisite skills, the FSM -- there's no magic (it's just machinery and parts).

One of the benefits of dealership service (over independents) is their connection with the factory for current up-dates, etc.

(unless you're a trained mechanic? -- the factory service technician will, probably, perform superior work to that of the owner...)

You're welcome.

Ive used two locations of Ride Now with good feedback. Ive bought 2 bikes from them and got most of my service done there.

In the east valley:

17202 N. Cave Creek Road

Phoenix, AZ 85032

(602) 992-8620

On the West side:

8546 W. Ludlow Dr. (off the 101 and Thunderbird)

Peoria, AZ 85381

(623) 334-3434

Ive used two locations of Ride Now with good feedback. Ive bought 2 bikes from them and got most of my service done there.

In the east valley:

17202 N. Cave Creek Road

Phoenix, AZ 85032

(602) 992-8620

On the West side:

8546 W. Ludlow Dr. (off the 101 and Thunderbird)

Peoria, AZ 85381

(623) 334-3434
How was the service at the Cave Creek location? Did you have the valve check done? What type of work did you have done?

Thanks for the reply . . . Chris

I've taken my FJR to Arizona Sportbike Performance center for the last 2 services. They have an FJR in their rental fleet so I feel comfortable that they have at least seen an FJR before they worked on mine. In addition, the owner, Ted Rich, races in the Daytona Sportbike series on a Yamaha 600 and just finished in 23rd place at Miller Motorsports park. Not so bad for a part time privateer. When I get home, I'll get my bill for the last service and I would be interested in feedback if the price is reasonable. So far, as I recall, I paid $300 for a set of PR2's mounted and balanced. I also had the valves checked and new plugs plus all the safety checks. More later.

It's like any other profession -- a trained motorcycle repair technician need not have seen your FJR (or any FJR) in order to perform proper maintenance and repair. They have the requisite skills, the FSM -- there's no magic (it's just machinery and parts).

One of the benefits of dealership service (over independents) is their connection with the factory for current up-dates, etc.

(unless you're a trained mechanic? -- the factory service technician will, probably, perform superior work to that of the owner...)

You're welcome.
Ha! You are living in a fantasy world. Where I have taken my FJR is in the *real* world and what you wrote above is not my experience at all, across several makes of motorcycles.

There are many good reasons RideNow has a terrible, well-deserved reputation. I am glad you feel like you have been treated well both in sales, and service. You are an exception. Use RideNow at your own peril.

creyaz, Sorry I didn't respond earlier Guys, spent all weekend at a Nudist Colony and Health Spa with FJR Bluesman over in Orange County, CA. Papa loves ya Bluesy!

Cycle Center is a motorcycle dealership located in Casa Grande, AZ selling Honda and Yamaha motorcycles. I only let two mechanics, besides myself-and I only do the 5K mile services, work on My Miss Lucy Liu: SkooterG and Kendall of The Cycle Center. I've had nothing but terrible service from Ride Now. Maybe they've changed???

The Cycle Center

14660 W Jimmie Kerr Blvd

Casa Grande, AZ 85222-8444

520-836-8739

Honda, Yamaha

You're welcome.
Ha! You are living in a fantasy world. Where I have taken my FJR is in the *real* world and what you wrote above is not my experience at all, across several makes of motorcycles.
Fantasy World v/s Real World

An Organized System (in operation for decades and supported by manufacturers) v/s Conspiracy Theories

You're welcome.
Fantasy World v/s Real World

An Organized System (in operation for decades and supported by manufacturers) v/s Conspiracy Theories
I have to agree with SkooterG here, both on this, and his opinion of RideNow dealerships.

I have dealt with a ton of dealers (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki & Ducati) over a long period of time (since I started riding in 1988) and maybe 15% of them could work on a bike they'd never seen w/o somehow damaging it. There's been tons of times I've had to help repair a friend's bike after a trip to the dealership. I've seen loose/stripped/missing expensive fasteners, damaged/mis-installed plastic, wrong fluid levels, wrong fluids in the wrong places, unbalanced tires, cut/damaged wires, disconnected electricals, missing brake pads, etc.

For God's sake, I've had them put tires on backwards. How the hell hard is THAT? That requires very little bike specific knowledge, and I consider mounting a tire a basic skill that any "Factory Trained Motorcycle Repair Technician" should know as a matter of course. Then of course they whip the tire off and remount it without rebalancing it. BTDT.

I've also seen dangerous stuff such as a brake pad change, where they put a caliper back on without one pad. That was a "I've got 30 min to do it, or it's my job if it takes longer" error and he was in too much of a hurry. That was a dealership where the service manager cracked the whip if you couldn't match the ridiculous factory repair time estimate.

As an example, I have 2 Yamaha dealerships in my area. One of them is crooked as well as incompetent, and the other is smooth, professional, and knowledgeable. Too bad the first is down the block, and the second is an hour across town.

IME, there's dealers that want bikes in/out as fast as possible and don't care about "done" vs. "done right", and there's dealers that realize customer satisfaction means return business and more profit. Unfortunately there's very few of the latter.

I've never been to an independent dealer, as I don't know any around here, so I can't say anything about them.

You're weird. Regardless, try to spin it any way you want there sport, but my FJR coming back with missing or misplaced fasteners, or new issues that they caused while working on it are no 'conspiracy theories'. They are direct, factual, experiences. Those guys work on different bikes all day long, every day. They just don't care about MY bike like I do. I guarantee they don't work on my FJR with the attention to detail and concern that I do. Kendall, the guy at The Cycle Center is the lone exception.

IME, there's dealers that want bikes in/out as fast as possible and don't care about "done" vs. "done right", and there's dealers that realize customer satisfaction means return business and more profit. Unfortunately there's very few of the latter.
The answer may lie here?:

Ugh. This is what gives me pause as I get ready to take my bike in for its first valve check. Where to go and feel confident they know what they are doing?
Find a Yamaha Five-Star Certified Service Center. This means that their service technicians are factory trained and certified by Yamaha Motor Corporation to service your Yamaha.
:blink: :unsure: