Phone/Starcom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky3008

Finally got my collarbone fixed!!!
Reaction score
Those of you that have a communication system for audio, gps, phone etc.

Does your system automatically answer a phone call, or do you have to at least push a button or flip the phone?

I just purchased the Starcom Advanced but with the impression on my part that when a phone call would come through somehow the system would automatically answer.

Thanks

I have a J & M CB with the audio intergation module. The cell phone audio passes through the unit to the helmet earphones & mike. Many, if not most cell phones can be set to auto answer. Personally I leave mine in the normal mode so I can ignore it ringing in heavy traffic or in the twisties. My understanding is that most of the audio systems operate in a similar fashion with the answering function controlled by the cell phone itself. The J & M system does put the music, CB, cell phone, & radar detector audio in the correct priority, ie, radar detector overrides music, etc. Best of luck with your setup.

I have had this auto answer function mentioned to me before.

I called cingular and asked about it and the person I spoke to said that she didn't know about this on any of their phones.

I have a Nokia 6102b and in the settings/call settings I don't seem to have an auto answer. I have AnyKey answer, Answer when fold is opened and that seems to be the only 2 regarding answer.

If anyone has cingular and has a phone with auto answer I would be interested in the model so I can possibly look into it.

Thanks

If anyone has cingular and has a phone with auto answer I would be interested in the model so I can possibly look into it.
Thanks
I have both the Motorola V505 and the V3 RAZR, and both have auto answer. We'll wait for the Nokia crowd to chime in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have my answer.

The Nokia 6102b that I have doesn't seem to have a headset/auto answer feature.

My wifes Razor V3 however does have this.

I called cingular and asked about it and the person I spoke to said that she didn't know about this on any of their phones.
I have a Samsung through Cingular. It has an auto-answer function. It's a function of the phone, not the carrier.

If you're answering the friggin' phone while you're riding, I'm gonna come out there and bitch slap your ass all over the fooking place! By all means, carry a cell phone, but don't have it on while riding... Jeeze Louise! There ain't a call in the world that could be that important! Oh, maybe if Angelina were inviting me over for a romp, but that's about it... :D

I have the Starcom and successfully have auto answer on both my Nokia 3310 and Siemens C35. Both of these are some years old

Please note that on some phones the auto answer facility does not show until a headset or other wiring is connected.

Tecstar, here in uk, supply leads and adaptors for most phones - see their website

Tecstar Accessories

If you're answering the friggin' phone while you're riding, I'm gonna come out there and bitch slap your ass all over the fooking place!  By all means, carry a cell phone, but don't have it on while riding...  Jeeze Louise!  There ain't a call in the world that could be that important!  Oh, maybe if Angelina were inviting me over for a romp, but that's about it...  :D
Hey TWN. Why is talking on the phone any different than listening to music if you have your hands free.

I use to drive a semi. I had a phone hard wired, speaker by my head and a mic that was mounted by the sun visor. All I had to do when a call came in (my wife) was hit the answer button and the rest of the time I had my hands free to drive and shift.

Now if you think that by simply having to concentrate on someones words is distracting then perhaps we shouldn't be listening to music either as they have words in them or do you not listen to the words?

Now on a bike with Satellite, GPS, and other stuff you telling my you never use your hands to adjust anything?

Plus with the phone this is why I am investigating the auto answer feature.

Lastly I enjoy a good slapping. :D

Please note that on some phones the auto answer facility does not show until a headset or other wiring is connected.
This is something that I considered but my local cingular store doesn't seem to know much about this/these features. They make it seem like no one uses them.

Hell anybody with a headset would find this useful and surprised no one has asked.

They made it seem like I was talking about a scenario where there was no cable and bluetooth but I never mentioned either.

I would like to know if this actually was the case with my Nokia before buying a headset or attachment from Starcom...

I have the Starcom and successfully have auto answer on both my Nokia 3310 and Siemens C35. Both of these are some years old

Tecstar, here in uk, supply leads and adaptors for most phones - see their website

Tecstar Accessories
Look at that website again and you will find that the Nokia 6102b is not specifically mentioned and for Motorola they only mention the V400...

Starcom is out until Jan 3rd so I can't get any info from then until next year...

Thanks

If you're answering the friggin' phone while you're riding, I'm gonna come out there and bitch slap your ass all over the fooking place!  By all means, carry a cell phone, but don't have it on while riding...  Jeeze Louise!  There ain't a call in the world that could be that important!  Oh, maybe if Angelina were inviting me over for a romp, but that's about it...   :D
Hey TWN. Why is talking on the phone any different than listening to music if you have your hands free.

I use to drive a semi. I had a phone hard wired, speaker by my head and a mic that was mounted by the sun visor. All I had to do when a call came in (my wife) was hit the answer button and the rest of the time I had my hands free to drive and shift.

Now if you think that by simply having to concentrate on someones words is distracting then perhaps we shouldn't be listening to music either as they have words in them or do you not listen to the words?

Now on a bike with Satellite, GPS, and other stuff you telling my you never use your hands to adjust anything?

Sparky,

True, when having a conversation on the phone, one has to concentrate more. Music is simply background noise; it's there, but you don't need to focus on it to enjoy it. Even with the hands free feature on my phone I have trouble driving and talking at the same time. Strange thing is, conversation between passenger (car) or pillion (bike) doesn't take the same amount of concentration as does the phone... I don't know why though. :dntknw: Anyone? Bueller? And, the GPS is but half a conversation, again, more like background noise.

As far as hands off the grip for adjusting stuff, I do it all the time. Shouldn't, but I do. Many's the time I've gone astray for doing so, too. But, when the boys need adjustin', wadaya gonna do? :blink:

Lastly, backhand OK, or is your preference for the ole forehand. :D

Edited to add:

My Softline works like this in terms of priority:

Cell Phone

GPS

MP3, SatRad, CB

Since my cell phone is never hooked into the system, GPS has 1st priority.

The phone link is kind of useful. If my buddies and I get far enough apart that our GMRS radios don't connect I can still pull over and dial 'em up most of the time (depending on cell service).

If you're answering the friggin' phone while you're riding, I'm gonna come out there and bitch slap your ass all over the fooking place!  By all means, carry a cell phone, but don't have it on while riding...  Jeeze Louise!  There ain't a call in the world that could be that important!  Oh, maybe if Angelina were inviting me over for a romp, but that's about it...  :D

Sparky,

True, when having a conversation on the phone, one has to concentrate more. Music is simply background noise; it's there, but you don't need to focus on it to enjoy it. Even with the hands free feature on my phone I have trouble driving and talking at the same time. Strange thing is, conversation between passenger (car) or pillion (bike) doesn't take the same amount of concentration as does the phone... I don't know why though. :dntknw: Anyone? Bueller? And, the GPS is but half a conversation, again, more like background noise.

As far as hands off the grip for adjusting stuff, I do it all the time. Shouldn't, but I do. Many's the time I've gone astray for doing so, too. But, when the boys need adjustin', wadaya gonna do? :blink:

Edited to add:

Cell Phone

GPS

MP3, SatRad, CB

Hey TWN,

If it eases your mind a bit I don't plan on using this feature much.

I plan on a trip to florida this spring. A Straight run down 95. The only person that will call me is my wife and I have no problem not responding to her if the need to drive is more important.

My everyday driving from home to work I won't even bother to plug it into the system as it can wait.

I use to drive a Tow Truck and talk on the CB/radio and phone all the time no choice.

If you're answering the friggin' phone while you're riding, I'm gonna come out there and bitch slap your ass all over the fooking place!  By all means, carry a cell phone, but don't have it on while riding...  Jeeze Louise!  There ain't a call in the world that could be that important!  Oh, maybe if Angelina were inviting me over for a romp, but that's about it...   :D

Sparky,

Edited to add:

Cell Phone

GPS

MP3, SatRad, CB

Hey TWN,

If it eases your mind a bit I don't plan on using this feature much.

I plan on a trip to florida this spring. A Straight run down 95. The only person that will call me is my wife and I have no problem not responding to her if the need to drive is more important.

My everyday driving from home to work I won't even bother to plug it into the system as it can wait.

I use to drive a Tow Truck and talk on the CB/radio and phone all the time no choice.
Oh, OK. I feel better now. Thanks. :D

There's also the bluetooth option for the starcomm, so you could have a handlebar mount for your phone, and have caller ID to know whether or not to answer when work's calling on your day off!

There's also the bluetooth option for the starcomm, so you could have a handlebar mount for your phone, and have caller ID to know whether or not to answer when work's calling on your day off!
Slappy, is that mono or stereo?