PIAA 1100X Mounting Options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SockMonkey

Makin' Some Noise
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing the PIAA 1100X driving lights (decided against the HID route...) and have a couple of questions on various mounting options:

1) Advantages/disadvantages of mounting driving lights high (Rex M/C mirror brackets), or low (PIAA 1100X Multi-Fit). I think I understand the theory of one vs. the other, but am more interested in people's practical experience;

2) Gen I FJR mirror base shape vs. Gen I FZ1 mirror base shape. I have the Gen I FZ1 mirrors on my '07 FJR. It looks like the Rex M/C mirror mount light brackets are designed for the Gen I FJR mirrors. I'm wondering whether they'd look like ass mounted under the Gen I FZ1 mirrors(?)

Thanks!

although I have no personal experience with the particular mount options, I would recommend for best lighting, that you choose the one that mounts as high as possible.

I bought the PIAA 1100x lights last year and simply took the lazy route of mounting them low on the front fender bolts of my 05. Very much like the pictures in the link you sent. I was worried about the security of the lights there, but after a few thousand miles like that, I didn't have a problem and can adjust them low so I run them all the time and don't worry about being in rear view mirrors all the time.

I will say that they still leave me wanting for more light on really dark roads. I want a Soltek light up high for night driving, but have to cool the farkle purchases for a few months.

I bought the PIAA 1100x lights last year and simply took the lazy route of mounting them low on the front fender bolts of my 05. Very much like the pictures in the link you sent. I was worried about the security of the lights there, but after a few thousand miles like that, I didn't have a problem and can adjust them low so I run them all the time and don't worry about being in rear view mirrors all the time.
I will say that they still leave me wanting for more light on really dark roads. I want a Soltek light up high for night driving, but have to cool the farkle purchases for a few months.
Good feedback. Thanks!

When I had the 1100XX lights on mine I used the Rex mount. I think the higher you mount them the better you'll like it.

For what its worth, I had the FZ-1 mirrors and it all worked fine. I also ran them during the day as driving lights and never had a problem.

When I had the 1100XX lights on mine I used the Rex mount.
Thanks, Mike! You write "When [you] had the 1100XX lights on [yours]...". Apart from the fact that the light output isn't near what you're getting out of your Solteks(?), any specific "I liked / didn't like" comments on the those lights?

I made some simple aluminum brackets, similar to the Rex ones. Dead simple to make and use. Mounting high is what the IBA recommends:IBA lighting guidance

Bob
Good resource. Thanks! The more I think about my specific reason for wanting to add auxillary lighting (fog and light rain/mist), the more I wonder whether I'm even heading down the right path. I certainly understand the advantages of high, white light at speed, but I don't ride much (if any) at night with no real plans to do so. I do however thoroughly enjoy riding in the very early mornings (sun coming up, no traffic, quiet...), but as those who live here can attest fog is a real problem up here in Oregon's Willamette valley. For that application isn't it better to get your lighting closer to the ground (and use amber-colored lighting)..? :unsure:

Since PIAA is here in Portland, I'm thinking I ought to just show up on their door step and ask one of their engineers...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the higher is better .. better to be seen and better to see objects with

The angle that light reflects off objects will make it easier to see the closer it is to the same angle your eyes are seing it with.

That said hear are 2 examples of high mounted lights .. Mine and one more.

I personally didnt do the mounting or pick out the lights and was thinking about removing them alltogether untill I saw the other bike.

Now I just want to get a set of lights like his... They look way better than mine.

2839733280103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

and better

2636810990103143600S500x500Q85.jpg

I used Hella FF50 lights with Skyway bracket and could not be happier. Came home from Daytona on Us 1 and could see great. Also a must have for higher speeds at night. Hella's are affordable, attractive, and work well. On Skyway brackets they are more in front and better protected in a tip over. Just my 2 cents.

I’m not for sure the model of light but it's garauld’s bike.
Thanks. That's the piece of info I needed.

Here ya go SockMonkey: Link

Just curious, why did you rule out HIDs?

I'm having some trouble locating PHIDs so I'm trying to find out more about these:

Then, to add insult to injury I wasn't having any luck with the BLM website. The "Contact Us" link brings up some sort of form that's not working.

Well, hell... I bought the PIAA 1100X multi-fit kit during the recent Pashnit group buy (excellent price, BTW) and installed them. I'm not happy. Those fender mount brackets that came with the kit are just not working out. I simply cannot get bracket tight enough so that the light doesn't move at speed. I've tried every combination of shims that came with the kit as well as trying - unsuccessfully, to jam a star washer in between the lamp housing mount flange and the bracket to give it some bite. No joy there... :angry:

Has anyone had a similar experience and, if so, what did you do to correct the problem? If I can't find a solution (and soon), I'm going to see if Garuald still has any of his under-mirror brackets available (the Rex brackets aren't being made anymore as I understand it...)

Thoughts?

The star washer is the fix I used and it worked just fine. It doesn't make sense that you're still getting movement with those installed?!

The star washer is the fix I used and it worked just fine. It doesn't make sense that you're still getting movement with those installed?!
Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse anyone. I was not able to get the star washer inserted. I didn't feel there was enough room without potentially damaging the housing. Apparently, you didn't find this to be the case which gives me hope! :unsure: I'll see if I can make one fit...

I guess I'm not understanding your setup or exactly WHERE you're getting unwanted movement. Any chances you can post or PM some close-up pix?

I had the same problem with the mounting bolt that connects the light housing to the fender bracket. So I went to Home Depot and got brass replacement bolts, some brass washers, and new nylon lock nuts. I was able to insert a brass washer between one end of the bracket and a resin washer (included in kit) between the other end. I also used the resin washers between the bracket and fender extension and fender(see arrows in second picture). Everything then tightened up nicely. I did a 500 mile ride last Saturday, an ART class on Monday and have been commuting to work the last couple of days and everything is still tight.

PIAA1.jpg

PIAA2.jpg

I hope this helps.

Latest posts