PIAA 85114 Slim Line 400Hz & 500Hz 112db Horn Kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

07FJRVegas

Reaction score
After some research on the experiences of others, I purchased two of these horn kits (each of this specific part number contains two horns). I sourced one set from MVP Auto for about $48.00 delivered and another from Amazon for $54.00 delivered.

Installed one set on my 07 and one set on my buddy's 05. It is a tight area to work in on both bikes. The horns fit into the same spots as the stock horns on the 07. The 05 required the bracket on the right side to be bent slightly but the horns also fit in place of the stock ones. A little manipulation on both to hook up the short wires.

What a difference! Bikes sound like a car now. Tried them out on the way from Palm Springs to Mesa the other day at highway speed; they got the attention of the driver that was about to cut me off.

I realize there are other options and that others have shared this modification. These horns are plug and play, price is reasonable and they work great.

I picked up a 500/600 set of thsports horns on ebay for about 25 bucks. I am quite happy with them and the "euro" sound.

They scare the crap out of squirrels, and the cagers notice them.

The FJR stock horns make about as much noise as a road runner with laryngitis. Utterly pathetic.

I installed some PIAA slim line horns - wonderful.

I realize there are other options and that others have shared this modification. These horns are plug and play, price is reasonable and they work great.
When you say the horns are "plug and play", do you mean that, beside the easy physical placement, that you also just pluged them into the stock wiring? ..or are you running them off a new relay?

Thanks.

I just plugged them into the stock wiring (need to make sure positive to positive, neg to neg), used the stock mounts on the bike and the horns/mounts out of the box. I did not test the power draw of the PIAAs myself but depended on postings from another posting where he did check the power draw and found it to be the same (or very close) to stock horns (hence the decision not to install a relay). They work fine on both bikes.

After some research on the experiences of others, I purchased two of these horn kits (each of this specific part number contains two horns). I sourced one set from MVP Auto for about $48.00 delivered and another from Amazon for $54.00 delivered.
Installed one set on my 07 and one set on my buddy's 05. It is a tight area to work in on both bikes. The horns fit into the same spots as the stock horns on the 07. The 05 required the bracket on the right side to be bent slightly but the horns also fit in place of the stock ones. A little manipulation on both to hook up the short wires.

What a difference! Bikes sound like a car now. Tried them out on the way from Palm Springs to Mesa the other day at highway speed; they got the attention of the driver that was about to cut me off.

Yep. +1! A required upgrade as far as I'm concerned. I got a kick out of watching the tech. jump when he checked the horn for the state inspection sticker!

The install on these horns is crazy easy. It might take a small set of hands but the install is easy. Once you buy the horns the only other thing you need to purchase is 2 plastic splicers and 2 female connectors and 3 wire ties. Use the wire with the horns and cut off the ends and attach the female connectors. Trim about an inch of insulation from around the stock horn wire connectors. Install the new wire to the new horn which will mount on the radiator cover top left screw. Mount the horn. Run the wire over to the original horn location(new horn) and attach the splicers to the original wires and the wires going to the new horn and press down with pliers.. once connected remount the new horn in the existing bracket. Attach the wires to the top of the radiation cover with wire ties and test the horns to make sure you did not cross the wires. No need to build pigtails or even follow the wiring in the instructions. This is easier and better.

I installed a pair of Hella Supertones and the install experience seems to be the same as reported by the PIAA users. I chose to run mine through a relay just because but am pretty sure they will run just fine without a relay. Only adjustment required was to rotate the mouting tab for the right horn 189 degrees in order to bolt it into the stock location. Very minor tweaking to clear the plastic. Adjusts the attitude of attention deprived drivers wonderfully in freeway traffic at prevailing speed which can be the posted limit if the stars and moon are aligned precisely correctly. I hear the same reports from PIAA fans.