PIAA Lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
Have any of you folks replaced their stock headlight bulbs with PIAA bulbs. The draw seems to be the same but ouput is pretty much doubled. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Canadian FJR

PIAAs are overpriced for what you get. Early reports (7 years ago or so) had them as the dog's dangles. With more field time, reports of short life expectancy started coming in and many early advocates became disenchanted with them. Now-a-days there are many more options for "performance" H4 bulbs than there were back then. Most of those are less expensive than the PIAAs and last better also.

One of the top contenders these days is the Philips Vision Plus 50%. Noticable improvement in light-down-the-road and the entry price is about half that of the PIAAs. I'm on my second set and still like them. Osram Silverstars is another that is talked about a lot.

Murph's was where I got my Philips. https://www.murphskits.com/light.htm

They also have the Osrams: https://www.murphskits.com/ss.htm

(no kick backs. just a happy customer)

+1 on the Philips and Osram options. Until I went with HID, I used the Philips Vision Plus with exceptional results.

And a HUGE, HUGE +1 to Murph's Kits...... Murph is THE MAN!!!
thumb.gif

Hey guys, thanks for the ifnormation. I went ahead and ordered the VisionPlus bulbs. I can't choke out the $$$ for the HID's right now but want to make a improvement to my night driving abilities. Rationing limited farkle bucks to save up for a suspension upgrade/replacement.

I just installed a set of PIAA 1100x's on my bike today. Watch for my upcoming review on them in the near future.

One of the top contenders these days is the Philips Vision Plus 50%. Noticable improvement in light-down-the-road and the entry price is about half that of the PIAAs. I'm on my second set and still like them.
Murph's was where I got my Philips. https://www.murphskits.com/light.htm

They also have the Osrams: https://www.murphskits.com/ss.htm

(no kick backs. just a happy customer)

I followed the link and the Phillips bulbs are described as not DOT approved. Are cops going to pull over people or is it a mod that goes generally unoticed by police/officialdom? TIA.

Have any of you folks replaced their stock headlight bulbs with PIAA bulbs. The draw seems to be the same but ouput is pretty much doubled. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Canadian FJR
I've been running PIAA Super Plasma H4's for the last few years and have been very pleased with them. So far, no life expectancy issues and having shopped around, I didn't feel like they were overpriced. I had tried a few different "high performance" H4 bulds in my car and found the PIAA's to be the bulb of choice for me. I've since also installed a pair of 1100X's. I don't have anything to compare them to, but I think they're outstanding.

I followed the link and the Phillips bulbs are described as not DOT approved. Are cops going to pull over people or is it a mod that goes generally unoticed by police/officialdom? TIA.
interesting. i've ridden all over the US (litterally) with them since installing them and never had a problem.

I have never used the PIAA lightbulb, as I have always used the Super Whites from (Tricktape) and been quite pleased. I also have a set of the PIAA 1100x driving lights mounted separately and just love them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using the "Super Plasmas". They are a real improvement over stock. They go for around $50 ea. I'm too cheap to pay that much if I can help it...For Xmas '05 I asked each of my two kids to get me one Super Plasma. I did have one blow out a low beam but it was replaced under the 1 year warranty. I carry one of my EOM bulbs for a spare. I think I saw an ad from Comp Accys (?) selling PIAAs for $32.95.

Last edited by a moderator: