PIAA110X vs Hella FF50 vs HID conversion kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustHoward

Reaction score
I'd love a pair of HID aux lites, but I'm not able to spend the $700 to make this happen. I'm considering going to either of the two aux lites mentioned above, or the DDMtuning conversion kit which has been discussed on this forum in the past.

Please share your experiences with these options. Do the HID conversions give you significantly more light than the halogen aux lites? Is there a difference between the PIAAs and the Hellas? Is there a noticeable drop in gas mileage with the aux lites?

All of this on a GenII.

Thanks, Howard

HID's put out between 2 and 2.5 times as much light for the same wattage. That's very important for watt challenged Gen 1 owners like me.

Had the Hella FF50 and for the price and nice doubling of light while doubling the watts. The price was hard to beat. Seen the PIIAs and similar to the FF50 for more money.

But, once I went with Hella FF200 HID aux. lights....I wouldn't ever go back. Similar story for the Solteks, PHIDs, or the Gen 4 lights Warchild has reviewed.

No noticeable change in mileage with any of these.

I'm happy with the FF50's for what I do so far. I don't run the desert or the IBA stuff, but for the wet side of the mountains where I live they work fine, they really light things up for me. Another thing that I like is that they are light and I don't think they add to much stress to the brackets they mount to.

I also got a good deal on them, lights and brackets for $80 shipped.

But if I ran as hard at night as some of these guy's do, I'd want landing gear light's!

Maybe one day, Matt and I could do a side by side comparison with my PIAA's and post the results here. I'll tell you right now, if I was to do it all over I'd go HID, but my PIAA's do work well. Like Panman said, for what I do they work.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: