Picked up my 2008 December 8th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRTom

Reaction score
Today was the day! I got the call from Apache Motorcycles in Phoenix last Tuesday that our bikes were in. My friend, Bob, and I had ordered identical 2008 standard-shift FJRs. He's coming from a couple of Harleys; I'm moving up from a 2005 FJR with nearly 50,000 miles in three years. Since we were both going on one of our Black Mountain Motorcycle Club rides on Thursday and Friday – this one to see the Christmas lights at Lake Havasu – we agreed to pick up the bikes this morning, Saturday, at 10:00 a.m.

"MJ," sales manager at Apache, had everything ready when we arrived, but he was busy delivering a bike to another customer, so he had our two identical bikes rolled out and we had an uninterrupted 20 minutes to look them over and check everything before he had the time to deal with us. Damn! They are good-looking! I didn't realize the paint was such a neat metal-flake design! Except for one sticker – showing the MSRP on my left headlight lens – that hadn't been removed, they were perfect. Had all the right goodies in the right places.

We completed the paperwork and were off in about an hour from our arrival. The rain – Dang! We sure need it in Phoenix! -- had passed by early this morning and the weather was fine, in the 50s with very light winds. We hit I-17 and drove 15 miles for a lunch stop at the Cracker Barrel at I-17 and Deer Valley Road. Then we continued up to Carefree Highway, went west to New River Road, and finished our "modified Motoman break in" procedure on that lovely stretch of deserted highway.

Arrived back at my hangar at Deer Valley airport with a total of 61 miles showing on the odometers, then did an oil and filter change – I know, obsessive-compulsive, but I feel good about it! – and rode for another few miles.

First impressions, compared to my 2005:

1. The throttle response from idle caused me to stall the bike maybe five times! Geez, what a klutz! (My '05 had a PC III and a different clutch engage point.) But by the end of these 80 miles, all was feeling normal and I could start smooth and strong easily. (The idle was set for 1,000 and I may bump it up to 1,100, and the throttle had a little too much free-play for my desire. I'll have them adjust it at the 600 mile service.)

2. The stock windshield is pretty dang good for my 5 foot 9 inch, 175 pound body! I don't think I'll be in a big hurry for an aftermarket one.

3. Likewise, the saddle was very comfortable! I tied both the high and low positions – very easy to adjust back and forth! – and preferred it in the Low setting. Didn't feel any of the slide-toward-the-tank push that my '05 had. Although I will probably slap on an Airhawk cushion, I think this is one of the nicest stock seats I've every ridden.

4. I like the Gen II dash! The OAT gauge and gear indicator are sweet, as is the MPG readouts. I find the turn signal indicators – so much smaller than on the '05! – to my liking as well.

5. Why do so many folks complain about the mirrors?! I thought they were just fine, and allowed adjustment so that the left one was aiming more toward the left lane while the right one was aiming in the lane behind me.

6. Power and handling seem to be what I expected, nearly identical to the '05. Although I'd farkled up the '05 unmercifully – including new shocks and springs – I couldn't tell much difference and think I'll save my money this time and stick with the stock equipment.

7. Speaking of stock, the grips felt OK, although thicker than my BMW ones on the '05. I'll try them a while and then decide how to proceed.

8. I have a table-full of farkles ready to be installed on my new ride, but plan to ride it basically stock for the first 600-1,000 miles before deciding what to do. Yamaha really has done a good job of improving the bikes form Gen I to Gen II and it seems that the '08 is the best yet! I am one happy camper tonight!

BTW, I already did the windshield auto-retract disconnect. (Why in God's green earth does Yamaha think that's a good thing?!) But I am confused –as I was on the '05 – about the pix at FJR Tech showing the loop side of the plug. Heck, there ain't no loop on mine! I disconnect the proper plug – kinda hidden behind the bigger plug under Panel C – and all I see are two side of the plug: one with multi-colored wires and one with two black wires. Do I just pull like crazy to dislodge the black pair and discover that it's a loop? I hate pulling on something when I don't know where it goes! Help, please!

In about two months, I am going to have one sweet, farkled-to-the-nines, 2005 for sale. It has been a fantastic machine, doing three Three Flags Classics and giving me my SS 1,000 IBA award. The only reason I'm selling is because I can afford a new Gen II one! It will have a little under 50,000 miles so I know that will turn off some potential buyers, but if that number doesn't scare you, then consider recommending this machine to your FJR-desirous friends. I bet she has a trouble-free 100K+ miles left in her, easy!

I truly appreciate the effort and knowledge that goes into this forum! I lurk more than contribute, but have been here for three-plus years. Great group!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats FJRTom!!!

Wish I coulda been there to see them both.

What made you decide to go with Apache?

When I was there a few months back having cam chain surgergy done to my high mileage 04, they told me they had never sold an FJR, nor even seen one before.

Enjoy your new baby!

Congrats FJRTom!!!
Wish I coulda been there to see them both.

What made you decide to go with Apache?

When I was there a few months back having cam chain surgergy done to my high mileage 04, they told me they had never sold an FJR, nor even seen one before.

Enjoy your new baby!
I went with Apache for three reasons: First, I wasn't too happy with YSA on Cave Creek Road, whom I bought from last time. Second, a very good friend and multiple bike buyer swears by Apache and introduced me to MJ there. Third, I think they made Bob and me a good deal. Probably not the all-time best, but $15,300 OTD with the Yamaha truck and attached back rest...which we can't get for a couple more months!

I'll try to get some pix posted in a few days!

Without pictures, this is just another intardweb rumor.

poke.gif

:D

Congratulations Tom! It must have been great seeing the two side by side. I think you are the first to post delivery of a 2008. What's your opinion of the clutch pull between GENI bike and GENII bikes? Good luck riding her.........

I'm with WC it's all bullshit until we see the pickies!
Congrats Tom....many safe miles may you & your new ride enjoy together!

You now have given me hope that I may get mine before the end of the year. I was pretty sure I wouldn't receive delivery before January...now I have new hope!

Please post pics soon!

Great report & congrats on your new ride! I'm sure pics won't do justice to the paint job. Once I saw my 06 out in the sun, I was smitten. Ride safe & enjoy.

Congratulations, I can't believe it rained the day you picked your bike up. I mean, In AZ, what are the odds. Actually, I had a friend fly out to Phoenix to do some riding when I was out there and it rained all day the day he arrived.

Anyway, thanks for the report and of course, ditto about the pictures.

~FJR@DTS

Awesome news ! I was at Apache Saturday afternoon pick up some oil. Had a good ride in spite of a bit of water. Saw the C-14 that has been sitting in the showroom for a while now but no FJRs, wonder if they have any more ?

Thanks for the '05 comparisons Tom, would like to see piccies of the new beast in the wild.

Without pictures, this is just another intardweb rumor.
You want pictures? We got pictures!

2008FJR001.jpg

2008FJR002.jpg

2008FJR003.jpg

2008FJR004.jpg

2008FJR006.jpg

2008FJR013.jpg

2008FJR013.jpg

2008FJR014.jpg

2008FJR015.jpg

2008FJR028.jpg

Started a little farkling today: Skyway's reservoir mounts for the XM antenna and Radar Detector, Wild Bill's highway "peg" (LH only done so far), exhaust heel guards. Again it rained in Arizona...but just a little! I don't think I told you that I had a pleasant surprise when I noted the bike came with Metzler tires! My '05 had factory Bridgestones. I'm still a happy camper, even though you guys are tough on us old technically-challenged guys regarding the pictures! (Heck, I'm glad you gave me the prod to relearn how to post 'em!)

poke.gif

:D

Latest posts