Pillion Handles - anyone tried them?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irq77

Reaction score
I have a 9 year anniversary coming up Thursday and figured I'd try and make my wife happy by upping the pillion comfort. I find that on our trips she's usually smacking me with her helmet when she holds on around my waist (which i prefer for safety). She gets tired and wants to just rest against the top case back pad. Has anyone used the pillion handles as listed here:

https://www.motosweeney.com/motorcycles/saf...les/prod_7.html

How about other suggestions?

Please accept my apologies if there is a good thread already covering this as I couldn't find it when searching. If there already is a thread please point me to it.

Thanks in advance!

-Devin

I'm pretty sure that there are grab rails on the stock rack in some form, aren't there? I know for sure that my Givi rack has grab rails.

In the right hands, and with a little creativity, those could have a multitide of uses. :rolleyes:

Anyway, +1 to what luvtoride said - Susie typically grabs on to the rails of my Givi rack.

I'm pretty sure that there are grab rails on the stock rack in some form, aren't there? I know for sure that my Givi rack has grab rails.
Are you talking about the small painted piece behind the rear seat on the tail? If so, I wrote these off as I didn't believe they would provide much in terms of safety or comfort. I can't remember if these are accessible with the yamaha top case. I'll check next time I get the chance. Thanks for the reply.

QUOTE (irq77 @ Jan 20 2009, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a 9 year anniversary coming up Thursday and figured I'd try and make my wife happy by upping the pillion comfort. I find that on our trips she's usually smacking me with her helmet when she holds on around my waist (which i prefer for safety). She gets tired and wants to just rest against the top case back pad. Has anyone used the pillion handles as listed here:

https://www.motosweeney.com/motorcycles/saf...les/prod_7.html

How about other suggestions?

Please accept my apologies if there is a good thread already covering this as I couldn't find it when searching. If there already is a thread please point me to it.

Thanks in advance!

-Devin

I know a couple who use a similar device. In their case, the handles are set in his kidney area.

She can either hold with her hands, but on a longer ride, she loops her arms through so they are almost folded.

Like this she can, and does, go to sleep.

<edit> Found this picture, sorry about the rain, Scottish weather.

1_DSCF1637_crop.JPG

Story of this tour here.

Last edited by a moderator:
irg77, you might need something like this if you're not going to use the stock grab rails. Yes, I am speaking of the painted piece behind the seat. I'm pretty sure there are grab rails there. Absolutely, for sure, if she uses them, you're going to experience less helmet whack.

How tall is your wife? She might enjoy a set of pillion peg extenders more. This is what I speak of: https://www.bikejohnny.com/

FJR1300 Pillion Peg Extensions

YA10-09-003-52

Those would give her more leg stretch when she's sitting.

Another good present could be Knifemaker's foot boards. There is more info here.

Bikergeek, visuals!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd sure hate to get thrown into jail with that thing still strapped around me.

Those are passenger grab rails integrated into both the stock rack and the Givi rack, and they are plenty good to hold on to. My wife uses them exclusively. (I think because she can't reach all the way around me!)

Passenger reaches down just behind and beside their backside.

I have a friend that wears a set of those when his son (14 year old) rides with him. He would not ride without them and he says they work flawlessly.

They look like a great idea.... All my pillions use the grab handles on the bike, and or push on my lower back as needed (though not when we're stopping).

None really feel like they need to hold onto anything for the most part, only when the ride gets a little spirited. I would assume as she gets more time in the saddle she'll slowly lose the need to hold on with the death grip.

If the passenger puts that rig on, how is that going to stop them from banging her helmet on yours?

Oh, wait, you mean YOU put the stap on (oops) and she holds onto it (ok).

That makes more sense.

I used to have a riding jacket with a big belt that one passenger used to like to hold on to. I always thought it a bit odd, rather than holding me or the side rails. But it'd be the same as these fancy handles, a bunch cheaper, and the black leather types would look at you with less gleam in their eyes.

On another thought, I prefer for Susie to hold on to the Givi rack 'cause when I grab the brakes, that keeps her from pushing in to me. It's a beetch to control the bike and handle the weight of 2 deceleration adults when grabbing a crap load of brake on the FJR.

Those are passenger grab rails integrated into both the stock rack and the Givi rack, and they are plenty good to hold on to. My wife uses them exclusively. (I think because she can't reach all the way around me!)
Passenger reaches down just behind and beside their backside.

And if you want to be real nice you can cover them with foam. I had some grip covers that kinda were like grip puppies, but they were split down the side and wrapped over the grip, held on by velcro. You can cut them to fit the rails on the side of the bike.

Can't find them now, so sorry, no photo.