Pinlock Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_g

Reaction score
Question for pinlock users:

Can you ride at speed with your visor open and not damage or lose the pinlock insert?

I ride 99% of the time with my visor open, yes its loud but I like the breeze. My Shoei Qwest helmet fogs horribly in the rain, therefore the need for pinlock. If possible, I'd like to install the insert but still be able to ride with the visor open.

Thanks

I ride with a Shoei Neotec. Mine's open much of the time, and the pinlock seems to be a non-issue. Sure does cure the fogging problem, by the way.

Gary

darksider #44

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="garyahouse" data-cid="1124537" data-time="1391825486"><p>

I ride with a Shoei Neotec. Mine's open much of the time, and the pinlock seems to be a non-issue. Sure does cure the fogging problem, by the way.<br />

<br />

Gary<br />

darksider #44</p></blockquote>

+1

When I first got it, I'd ride with it open until about 30 mph or so. Since getting a tinted shield, I only use it for trips up north now.

What's with all the script ^ ?

I have one clear and one smoked for my RF-1100 and swap them out during the day as needed. Even doing this I have not had an issue open or closed. I will not ride without one.

since I dont need the pin-loc unless its raining or foggy, I keep it in my tank bag (in a tube sock) and put it on when I need it. RF 1100

I have a GT-Air and have not even installed the pin-loc yet. I simply keep it cracked open while at a stop and close it when above 15 mph. I don't have any issues with fogging.

I ride my FJR on a 60 mile commute to and from work. Once I installed the system I left it in rain or shine taking it out only for the cleaning.

I have a Nolan and it came with a Pinlock insert. This thing is awesome! The pinlock absolutely stops all fogging issues. Unless I am impatient and reassemble it too soon and fail to let it air dry ALL THE WAY. Then the fog will form between the two layers of the system and stay for a fairly long time.

The inner layer, the one the pins actually lock in is substantial. I would say that it is as thick as what a regular goggle lens is. It is somewhat difficult to get out for cleaning, there is no way it will blow out from or off of a shield if it is open unless you are ejecting at a high percentage MACH number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, likewise....

and most of the time, when it's not to cool, I pop the shield off the Quest altogether , put on my Wiley X transitions, and along with the Mamaha touring shield have a ride so quiet that I can hear the injectors clicking...

Pinlocks work great on my Arai Corsair V and RX7 RR4 Doohan Star. Recommend as proved by years of riding in the PNW.