Pinlock shields

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

What are the advantages of a pinlock shield besides the anti foggy?
Other than the anti-fog, I haven't found any great attributes to speak of, yet. Maybe that the lenses are a little smaller and less to pack the extras but on the other sie of that coin, I think they're a little easier to do damage to with that seal and all. When using the tinted lens, I'm still not sure that I like the clear, untinted edges that surround that lens. Sort of distracting for me.

Jury's still out on this one. I find myself sportin' my Arai with a tinted shield and I keep a clear onboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some have tinting. The pin-lock is the only thing that has actually worked as advertised for anti-fogging of the different products I've tried.

As stated above, it's not that the Pinlock shield system has significant benefits OTHER THAN the anti-fog. It's the fact that it really DOES WORK for anti-fog, much better than anything else I've tried.

The new HJC helmets are coming with clear Pinlock shields included. I have lenses in Clear, Amber, and Light Smoke. The Clear lens by far gets the most use.

The edges do bother me, as well as the chromatic aberration from multiple layers of material. That shows up as "rainbow" glare spots at night. But the trade off for a shield that really does NOT fog, is well worth it IMHO.

Daytime I still prefer a regular Smoke face shield with no lines.

Niehart turned me on to the pinlock and benefits. Up here in the wet country, the anti fogging feature is the biggest selling point for me. My Multitec helmet is by far the worst fogging helmet I've ever owned. Without a pinlock, it wouldn't get any use for eight months of the year. A side benefit already mentioned is the ability to have multiple inserts from clear to dark gray, makes packing easier than with a full size shield.

--G

Not to highjack the thread, but I was also considering getting a pinlock shield for my Arai, but haven't ever seen a pinlock shield in person I'm curious how difficult it is to change the inserts... Is it time consuming or very easy to damage the seal in the process? I just know I've got to do something about the fogging issues... and also, just as the OP had asked, wondered if there were any other advantages (or disadvantages) to using a pinlock based system...

Not to highjack the thread, but I was also considering getting a pinlock shield for my Arai, but haven't ever seen a pinlock shield in person I'm curious how difficult it is to change the inserts... Is it time consuming or very easy to damage the seal in the process? I just know I've got to do something about the fogging issues... and also, just as the OP had asked, wondered if there were any other advantages (or disadvantages) to using a pinlock based system...
The pinlock is inserted by taking faceshield off the helmet and then flexing it so that it is almost flattend out. Place the pinlock inside the shield and then allow the faceshield to go back to it's normal curved shape, which presses the pinlock against the faceshield. No real worries with the pinlock seal because it seals by pressing against the faceshield.

Being from the rainy northwest, I can tell you that this is the only thing that has worked for me to stop fogging. And it works really good!