Pinlock Visor - "Daytime use only"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenchi

Reaction score
I just picked up a new pinlock visor and noticed on the clear visor that I picked up, it has the words "Daytime use only". I specifically got the clear one to use it in evening/night/early morning conditions.

Can you think of any reason for this? Perhaps they use the same manufacturing process for the colored visors, which are not supposed to be used at night?

Might check on their web site.

I use both clear & yellow at night on both snowmobiles & bikes.

Also might be like Mama Yamaha saying not to use top box & side boxes are the same time. Just to cover their butt in case some thing bad happens.

Some people think that a Pinlock visor causes a starburst visual effect when looking through it at headlights/street lights. Same has also been said for the FogCity shield inserts.

I have used the Pinlock for years now and absolutely love it. No issues for me.

I'm running a pinlock in my shoei and did notice a slight ghosting/starburst visual effects. I quickly got used to it and now don't even notice a problem. What I really love is the total fog free riding. That shield will not fog up, no matter what! I never had much of a fogging problem until I put that Vstream shield on the bike. With minimal airflow around the helmet, I had horrible fogging until I added the pinlock.

Some people think that a Pinlock visor causes a starburst visual effect when looking through it at headlights/street lights. Same has also been said for the FogCity shield inserts.
I have used the Pinlock for years now and absolutely love it. No issues for me.
Exactly... It's worse sometimes in some conditions than others but once you get used to it, you'll never go back.

https://www.pinlock.com/Comes built into Nolan helmets and some others. Optionally add to your current helmet (maybe).
Ok, I don't get it. It says that since 2005 KBC helmets come "Pinlock prepared". It says my new KBC VR-2 Stealth should have come with a Pinlock shield ready to mount. It did not, so if I buy a replacement lense for my helmet, does the whole lense get replaced or do I have to put pins through my existing shield. AND...how does that reduce fogging if I'm not changing out the inner shield, just adding another layer of plastic to it?

https://www.pinlock.com/Comes built into Nolan helmets and some others. Optionally add to your current helmet (maybe).
Ok, I don't get it. It says that since 2005 KBC helmets come "Pinlock prepared". It says my new KBC VR-2 Stealth should have come with a Pinlock shield ready to mount. It did not, so if I buy a replacement lense for my helmet, does the whole lense get replaced or do I have to put pins through my existing shield. AND...how does that reduce fogging if I'm not changing out the inner shield, just adding another layer of plastic to it?

I'm not a Pinlock or KBC rep but...

You may have gotten rooked on your purchase, and the pinlock liner was left out and or fell out of the box and you didn't notice? Those are all options.

Generally if you buy a new shield, (either Nolan, or KBC or other Pinlock integrated helmet) the pins will be in the shield, but it will not come with the insert, they are extra.

(For Nolan, the shields run about $30 and the PinLock insert is another $15).

I also think there is a difference in some helmets (maybe KBC) in the helmets they sell in the states vs over seas. It may be standard over seas but not in the states? I personally don't recall ever seeing pinlocks on the KBC's that I've tried on, but I also admit I wasn't looking.

As for anti-fog, I'm sure someone smarter than me can splain how it works. I just know it does, and works very, very well.

-MD

Hmmmmm...I don't think anything fell out. It came with a standard shield that did not have any pins or accessories on it. Admittedly, I have not seen any helmets with these visors either and I always look at them. I'll call Pinlock and see what I can get figured out. Thanks.

Latest posts