Pioneer Days 2013 July 10-14, 2013

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intech

Mr. Camping Meet
Reaction score
Just thought I would throw this out here early. We missed last year, because it was the weekend right after we got back from NAFO.

Pocohantas County is loaded with great riding. Every year we have been in Marlinton for this weekend has been a blast. We stay at the Old Clark Inn. We have come to know the innmasters very well and have a great stay every time. We enjoy the area roads for riding all day and then return for the block party. There is a whole lot going on during the day and they have live music at night. The calendar shows that there is a "Hog" Rally at Snowshoe that weekend also. That shouldn't interfere with riding out of the Marlinton area. Just have to give it some consideration for route planning. Here is the link for information:https://www.pocahontascountywv.com/events/476/2013/july/the-46th-annual-pioneer-days.aspx

I'm considering this trip. That HOG thing concerns me a little, tho.... except that I really enjoy sucking their headlights out as I pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: I contacted the innkeepers at Old Clark and they confiormed that the hog rally is in Marlinton Friday afternoon. They have rooms, though. I know nothing about this rally, so I don't know what kind of pirate numbers it draws.

Uptate to the update: The hog rally is in Snowshoe, but they parade to Marlinton for lunch and a bike show.

I think that I will likely steer clear of the area that weekend..

I think that I will likely steer clear of the area that weekend..
Ya but, if they are all parading to Marlinton during the day (lunchtime) all the roads in the area should be pirate free! Who cares where they are when we are sitting by the fire in the back yard?

I guess your scenario is a possibility. I think that it's more possible they'll be on some of the good roads in longgggg parade lines.

The last time Jay & I passed a HOG parade line we got the finger more than once. My feewings were so hewt.

I guess your scenario is a possibility. I think that it's more possible they'll be on some of the good roads in longgggg parade lines.

The last time Jay & I passed a HOG parade line we got the finger more than once. My feewings were so hewt.
Were you demonstrating your indian name??

Update to my update update: The only rooms available for this weekend at OCI are on the third floor. Two twins and one shared bath for the floor. Looks like plans to made to ride somewhere else that weekend and camp.

Were you demonstrating your indian name??
Yes... I saw their middle finger while in warp.

& about going somewhere else that weekend... I'd likely be up for that.

Oh Hell YES, I'm up for that!,

If we can't get accommodation at OLD CLARK INN then I have a couple of Suggestions,

• Have you checked at the Greenbriar Grill & Lodge? They have rooms.
  • There is another B&B's in Marlington [AAAA BBBBB] & in Huntersville, WV.Then there's the Marlinton Motor Inn on 219.
  • Camp at Watoga; Beaver Creek or Riverside CG.
  • get a cabin at Watoga [and crown a new "Legend"]
  • GO to Richwood,WV and stay at the Four Seasons Inn
  • There are several CG's and Inns/Hotels in a 20 mile radius of Monterey, VA
  • Otherwise, we could just camp in the National Forest

Those are all good suggestions, Jay.

Greenbrier is probably too small for a group.

MMI is easily large enough and has a restaurant.

Watoga is a great campground.

I've stayed at the Four Seasons a few times. Especially nice

down in back if you're on a bike. Limited amenities in Richwood

but Summersville is only 24 miles down Rte 39.

I'm considering this trip, I hope something gels.

I'd suggest an alternate weekend to go riding or steer completely clear of this area. The Hardley pirates will rule this particular weekend.

Well I just got an email from OCI and they have one room with a private bath available for me. That is just two weeks after CFR and Janet may not be ready to ride that soon again after that trip. (It took over two months after the NAFO trip last year to get her back on!). I am leaning towards bailing on Marlinton for the weekend. I might be up for camping somewhere away from the pirate parade, though.

Well I just got an email from OCI and they have one room with a private bath available for me. That is just two weeks after CFR and Janet may not be ready to ride that soon again after that trip. (It took over two months after the NAFO trip last year to get her back on!). I am leaning towards bailing on Marlinton for the weekend. I might be up for camping somewhere away from the pirate parade, though.
Maybe you should see if they'll rent ya that cabin at Hungry Mother again...
rolleyes.gif
no.gif
F'n trouble makers!!!

I'd likely be up for camping depending how hot it is. I'm likely not riding/camping if it'll be much over 90-95.

Maybe you should see if they'll rent ya that cabin at Hungry Mother again...
rolleyes.gif
no.gif
F'n trouble makers!!!
Or we could always rent the cabin under someone else's name since Bob is such a troublemaker.

And yeah! I am the troublemaker???
No...but your name is the one that was used to rent the cabin
Yeah. What a bonus.

You know, I thought about saying something to ranger about how their behavior was so "family" oriented. Like when they were standing on the picnic table on the deck and pissing off the back!