pipes are blue and so am I

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
I've got an 05 with 4k miles. My pipes just ahead of the mufflers are blue/purple and the mufflers are gold. Looking at pictures of other feejers tells me that this is not normal. Just bought the bike and I'm a little worried about the color of the pipes/mufflers. Haven't even begun to do anything mechanical with the bike yet. Was told that the bike was "gone over" at the dealership about a year ago by the former owner. But I'm worried that something's not right, though I can't tell by the way it runs as it seems to run just fine. Any input would be appreciated.

--Gary in Tampa

If the mufflers are gold, then they aren't the ones that came on the bike. Maybe the pipes into them aren't either. Lots of pipes turn blue with heat and age. No big deal, says I, who knows practically nothing about pipes.

I've got an 05 with 4k miles. My pipes just ahead of the mufflers are blue/purple and the mufflers are gold. Looking at pictures of other feejers tells me that this is not normal. Just bought the bike and I'm a little worried about the color of the pipes/mufflers. Haven't even begun to do anything mechanical with the bike yet. Was told that the bike was "gone over" at the dealership about a year ago by the former owner. But I'm worried that something's not right, though I can't tell by the way it runs as it seems to run just fine. Any input would be appreciated.

--Gary in Tampa
Why not post some pics, I would hazard a guess that by gold you mean a little yellowish tone, which is pretty common.

Holly crap, an '05 with 4k miles, that's just wrong, but a good find on your part.

If the mufflers are gold, then they aren't the ones that came on the bike. Maybe the pipes into them aren't either. Lots of pipes turn blue with heat and age. No big deal, says I, who knows practically nothing about pipes.
Thanks for your guess at this, but they are original. Bike was owned by a doctor, a man who just didn't drive it much, and that's why he sold it. When I say blue pipes, I mean deep, dark blue/purple leading into the mufflers. The mufflers are darker than any I've seen in posted pictures.

--Gary in Tampa
Why not post some pics, I would hazard a guess that by gold you mean a little yellowish tone, which is pretty common.

Holly crap, an '05 with 4k miles, that's just wrong, but a good find on your part.
By gold mufflers, I mean golder (is their such a word?) than any I've seen. I've seen pics of dozens of used bikes online, maybe a hundred (we all have). I've seen the slight yellowish tint your talking about, but mine is much darker. That's why I'm concerned, I've never seen any pipes that look like mine. I'm OK with it, no big deal, but I want to be careful here, just got the thing!!! Again, the bike seems to run fine, but what to do? I know a trip to the dealer will cure my worries, but can anybody guess what that might cost???????? As far as I know, it was "serviced" a year ago, and has had something fixed that caused surging at low speeds, some sort of recall thing I think. Concerning the 4k miles, that's exactly why I was happy to hand the man 6500 last month for it.

Gary in Tampa

Hi Gary, I'm certainly no expert on pipes (or anything else for that matter). I would say if your pipes are blue it indicates that fuel is (or more likely was) being burnt in the exhaust system. This is normal to some extent. Yamaha and others have fitted Secondary Air Induction systems to allow filtered air into the exhausts for this very reason.

If the bike is running very lean you would expect the header pipes to become blue but not the whole exhaust system.

It's also interesting that bike was 'serviced' to correct a fuelling problem causing surging. The 'fuelling problem' may have caused the discolouration.

Bottom line for me would be - is the bike running normally now? If it is I would be happy that I had got a good deal and not worry about it. Replacement silencers from Yamaha are not cheap, so learn to love the ones you have!

:rolleyes:

Don

P.M. the Manatee molester "Radio Howie" an take a run by his place.. He can't be more than 30-40 minutes from ya.

He can at least look at it and tell you if they're stockers.

Might wanna take along a bag of seaweed for his lady friends as payment. ;)

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gary, I'm certainly no expert on pipes (or anything else for that matter). I would say if your pipes are blue it indicates that fuel is (or more likely was) being burnt in the exhaust system. This is normal to some extent. Yamaha and others have fitted Secondary Air Induction systems to allow filtered air into the exhausts for this very reason.

If the bike is running very lean you would expect the header pipes to become blue but not the whole exhaust system.

It's also interesting that bike was 'serviced' to correct a fuelling problem causing surging. The 'fuelling problem' may have caused the discolouration.

Bottom line for me would be - is the bike running normally now? If it is I would be happy that I had got a good deal and not worry about it. Replacement silencers from Yamaha are not cheap, so learn to love the ones you have!

:rolleyes:

Don
Thanks Don. I didn't know about the secondary air thing. Next, I've not seen the header pipes, as you know, they're covered by the fairing. You're right about the cost of new cans, but I have no interest in all that, the bike looks fine. The gold pipes add a little character IMO, besides, feejers are built to be ridden. Squirt it with the hose, and get back on it. If I wanted a chrome queen, I'd have bought one of those Harley clone cruisers. I appreciate your reply.
Gary

P.M. the Manatee molester "Radio Howie" an take a run by his place.. He can't be more than 30-40 minutes from ya.

He can at least look at it and tell you if they're stockers.

Might wanna take along a bag of seaweed for his lady friends as payment. ;)

Thank you for the input, but since I'm a newbie, I don't know how to P.M. Could you explain that for me please, or tell me where to look to learn how to do it? Secondly, I grew up in Waterford Michigan, about 20 miles west of Pontiac. Where are you from there?

Gary in Tampa

Top right corner, where yer mugshot would be.. Click the arrow furthest right.

Peck in "Radio Howie" and type away..If you mention my name he may not wanna help :lol: Don't forget to send it.

Waterford is about an hour east of here.. I used to assist @ the Petrolane plant on 59 years ago.

A slightly lean condition might cause bluing, but some will be natural. I've tried a number of cleaners, and found Autosol works the best. Blue Magic works too (has ammonia in it). The cans should be easy to clean up. If the pipes won't and you don't like it, you can always buy some 1.5" chrome heat shields from JPCycles.

No, no, no, ya bunch of dorks.

The issue here is the bike is an '05 and it's only got 4K miles on it. So it's been sitting alot in that Florida heat.

Obviously, the paint has leeched out of the blinker fluid reservoir and spooged on his pipes, just ahead of the muffler bearing.

Duh.

I sure am glad I'm here to lend some mechanical expertise to you bunch of rank amateurs... :blink:

...My pipes just ahead of the mufflers are blue/purple and the mufflers are gold. Any input would be appreciated.

--Gary in Tampa
Save the gold -- it's a hedge against inflation and monetary instability (I hear...). :)

(Friday came early this week)

Seriously, heated stainless steel normally turns straw yellow color in many motorcycle exhaust systems. Especially those that are ridden with some "stick" (for a length of time) -- to generate some heat (often difficult to do in congested areas with a m/c w/1300cc engine...).

The issue here is the bike is an '05 and it's only got 4K miles on it. So it's been sitting alot in that Florida heat.

Obviously, the paint has leeched out of the blinker fluid reservoir and spooged on his pipes, just ahead of the muffler bearing.

Duh.

I sure am glad I'm here to lend some mechanical expertise to you bunch of rank amateurs... :blink:
Now there's a reply I can relate with. You sound a great deal like the lawyers that write out the proposals that we all try to decipher in the voting booth. Ever consider going into politics? You're a natural. I mean why not get paid big bucks for all that wisdom?

By the way, you were probably right about the leeching paint. I should have made the connection between that beautiful Yammie blue and the pipes...

However, I am concerned about the motor... could this bluing effect be an indicator that the bike is running lean?

Gary from Tampa

Duh.

Now there's a reply I can relate with. You sound a great deal like the lawyers that write out the proposals that we all try to decipher in the voting booth. Ever consider going into politics? You're a natural. I mean why not get paid big bucks for all that wisdom?

By the way, you were probably right about the leeching paint. I should have made the connection between that beautiful Yammie blue and the pipes...

However, I am concerned about the motor... could this bluing effect be an indicator that the bike is running lean?

Gary from Tampa
Whata thistledik! :dribble: Everybody,even me :blink: ,knows blinker fluid turns things red...

He's got water in the carburetor ya ditz! The Iron in it turns things a golden rust color.

Stick to animal husbandry where you belong gofer shit fer brains :p

These bikes run on the lean side anyway.. Maybe the PO punched out the cans and modded the airbox?

I sounded the alarm,'owie should be along shortly..

Duh.

Gary from Tampa
Whata thistledik! :dribble: Everybody,even me :blink: ,knows blinker fluid turns things red...

He's got water in the carburetor ya ditz! The Iron in it turns things a golden rust color.

These bikes run on the lean side anyway.. Maybe the PO punched out the cans and modded the airbox?

There ya go. I'm getting smarter all the time reading these posts. As far as I know the bike is bone stock and had a very lonely life in somebody's garage for the last 5 years. But, upon a little closer inspection guess what I just found? I do know that the tank was off, at least somebody attempted to remove it, but didn't know what they were doing as it has a number of dents on top near the front... looks like it got jacked against the handlebars when someone tried to lift it. A Yammie mechanic wouldn't do this at the shop... so there's an indicator that something might have been toyed with by some back yard hack. However, the bike is awfully quiet. Doesn't sound like it's been modified.

Gary from Tampa

Duh.

Gary from Tampa

There ya go. I'm getting smarter all the time reading these posts. As far as I know the bike is bone stock and had a very lonely life in somebody's garage for the last 5 years. But, upon a little closer inspection guess what I just found? I do know that the tank was off, at least somebody attempted to remove it, but didn't know what they were doing as it has a number of dents on top near the front... looks like it got jacked against the handlebars when someone tried to lift it. A Yammie mechanic wouldn't do this at the shop... so there's an indicator that something might have been toyed with by some back yard hack. However, the bike is awfully quiet. Doesn't sound like it's been modified.

Gary from Tampa
SO HERE'S THE END RESULT: I stopped by the Yammie dealer in New Port Richey, Fla. Spoke to the service manager. He checked my vin number and confirmed that my bike was in to have a sensor replaced that affects the idle (I think that's what it does) back in Feb this year by the former owner. He listened to it run, and asked a couple questions about backfiring while decelerating... he was looking to see if it was running lean. Since my bike doesn't seem to exhibit any signs of running lean except for the blue pipes, he said that it was nothing to worry about at this time and then suggested that I try running premium gas to "cool things down." He mentioned something about this heat being a result of running the bike on hot summer days. Now I'm really confused. Running premium gas? That's a solution?

He gave you a CYA answer. He doesn't know either!

The part you speak of is the Throttle Position Sensor and there were some known to go "wonky". IIRC, mione was replaced by Yamaha.

After looking through this thread....again....I went to the garage, got a flashlight and looked at my header, mid-pipe and muffler. After rubbing through the accumulated grunge from my Canada trip (Okay, you wise guys, I sprayed the bike off but haven't done a thorough cleaning.), sure enough, the header has a slight blue tint and the midpipe and muffler has a slight "golden" tint. I've always thought it was because of the different stainless steel used in the making of those parts.

Unless your header is blue...like the old British bikes...I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest posts