Pirelli Angel STs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FjrVfr

Reaction score
I just finished up a set of Angels and had a little surprise. They were getting long (short?) in the tooth so I had my eye on them. Last night I changed final drive oil as it was due and had some weeping. This morning I took a short ride and checked for leaks. I also checked both tires (centerstand/rotate plus moving the bike to check the front) as I was going to take the GF out to try her new Olympia gear. I was concerned about the front but not panicked. We did about 100 miles and called it a short day. Tonight I washed the bike (I know, I know) and found this:

(note the wear marks):

CIMG0071-1.jpg

CIMG0070.jpg

The front if anyone cares:

CIMG0073.jpg

That's from "eyeball" good to OMG in a hundred miles. I'm obviously a bad judge of tire wear but these Angels fooled me. I've run Battleaxe, Z4/6s and PRs but have never been caught staring at cords before. I just wanted to put it out there for other Angel ST owners - if you're running them into the wee hours, have a look every morning before you go for coffee.

And then have a look after coffee just to be sure.

I should add that I liked the STs and would buy them again (though I have PR2s waiting in the garage for my trip to Ohio).

ps - and for those of you that are wondering:: No! My SO is not nicknamed "Shamu":

CIMG0067.jpg

Finally, I wouldn't be a good host if I didn't say: "We know you have a choice in air travel and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for flying NERPT Airlines."

I assume these are like the Stradas - no wear bars across the center?

Tx for the heads up... I hate it when this happens..

"ps - and for those of you that are wondering:: No! My SO is not nicknamed "Shamu":"

Damn dude, you just short circuited my reply.

Glad you didn't have a date with the pavement, that's scary!

how many miles are on the tires ??????
Just short of 10K miles but I know that's subjective given the roads, driver and all. I've gotten more out of ME-880s (thanks HaulinAshe!) and less out of others. I was just shocked at the amount of cord showing after a few hours.

I assume these are like the Stradas - no wear bars across the center? Tx for the heads up... I hate it when this happens..
I've not run Stradas but I don't think there are central wear bars on the Angels.

DC - Don't be thinking I'm ever gonna forget you helping me out when I was stuck in Colorado with the dreaded ignition switch failure. When we meet and you and I are not riding/driving home - count on a massive hangover :D

Hmmm, seems the rear Angels are going to suffer the same perils as the rear Strada... & yet another tire that will not grace my bike... not by choice, anyway.

How does the front Angel handle?

Hmmm, seems the rear Angels are going to suffer the same perils as the rear Strada... & yet another tire that will not grace my bike... not by choice, anyway.
How does the front Angel handle?
It's okay. I'll keep Pirelli in business.

I realize that its is a tough job but someone's gotta' do it. ;)

& I'll likely give them business if the front handles as well as the Strada did. The rear? Never f'in again.

Don't know if you mentioned it or not, but was the rear an "E" spec or std. Angel? I had the very same experience with a rear (std.) Strada. Went to the "E" spec rear and all was well. By the way, if I got 10,000 mi. out of a rear tire I quit drinkin'!.......not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if you mentioned it or not, but was the rear an "E" spec or std. Angel? I had the very same experience with a rear (std.) Strada. Went to the "E" spec rear and all was well. By the way, If I got 10,000 mi. out of a rear tire I quit drinkin'!.......not.
It was a standard, non "E" spec. I run the recommended 39/42. Not sure why I get such longevity - guess I'm not flogging it hard enough. Handling seemed good until they squared off. I did think they squared a bit more then others I've run.

I found this old photo of my ill-fated Strada. Look familiar? I had checked it about 200 mi. before this photo was taken and it looked OK. Quite a shock! Again, the "E" spec worked just as well and lasted longer.

Pirelli_2.jpg