planning short trip - need help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch

Reaction score
Hello - haven't posted much on the site, but have read and learned so much. thank you everyone for that. I live in South Jersey, and am planning a trip into the Cooperstown NY area. Want to avoid the slab as much as possible. I go to the americade every year but use the P'way and thruway.

Was looking into 206 to go North through Jersey then through the Catskills (route 30) etc. Can anyone give me a better route than I'm thinking? Not familiar with 206 that far North.

Originally from upstate NY around the Albany area. Folks had a cabin on a remote lake in the Oxford area I was also going to see. Haven't been up that way in quite a while.

Ride safe -- Be careful out there

Hi. I live in the Catskills. I used to live in Jersey, first Lodi and later Vernon. I also spend a lot of time at Otsego Lake, which is the Lake that Cooperstown is on.

206 will take you to Kingston. From there you could take 28 all the way to Cooperstown. 28 is about the same at 206 for the first 35 miles, but it gets better after you get past Margaretville.

30 is a nice road around the reservoir but will add a half hour or more to your ride. If you have the time you can pick up 30 off of 28 just after Margaretville. Take 30 to Downsville and just after the light in Downsville is a right turn onto a county road to Delhi. I can't remember the number of that county road. In Delhi you get back on 28.

Or you can stay on 30 through Downsville to Walton and take 10 to Delhi, but that county road out of Downsville is very nice.

Let me know when you're coming through and maybe I can ride with you for a stretch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mitch, welcome!

I guess that you didn't realize that you posted your request for info in the "Eastern Owners Meeting" area. Prepare to have your post whisked by one of the board's admins to its proper resting spot in "Regional Ride Planning, Northeast"

PS, originally from S Jersey, myself. I used to live in Toms River, Beachwood, Bayville area. Where is your locale?

Heidi

thanks peoples for the responses. Geez -- Is 30 the best route through the Catskills, any others with twisties tec. I wouldnt want to miss??

Heidi -- Thanks for the heads up about the post

A very noob moment. I moved down to Barnegat, I figured a good reason to move to Jersey was to be close to the ocean. swimming, and I love fishing

Ahhh, Barnegat! I have fond memories of Barnegat. Do they still have the Garvey races in the bay once a year? We used to go every year when I was a kid.

Also, did a lot of crabbing in Barnegat Bay. I imagine like a lot of Jersey's waters, it has ended up too polluted to do much of anything, anymore.

Quite often I'd end up w/ an ear infection from swimming in the Toms River.

Also, my best friend live in the Forked River/ Lacey area... off of Rte 9.

still have the races, love that in the summer. Races I believe are every two weeks.

I wouldnt swim in Toms River anymore, but the coast is alright. Striper season fast approaching

I'm only 15 minutes from your bud, If you're ever up - give notice

Wow, every 2 weeks! What a blast!

I forgot to say... my mom used to bartend at a place on Rte 9 in Barnegat. It burnt down many, many moons ago. It was owned by Citta. At least I think that's the spelling. Citta's has a place called the "Old Time Tavern"... I think that is located in Toms River... but I forgot the name of their place in Barnegat.

Will be in touch if I'm up thata' way on the bike.

Welcome to the asylum, Heidi

There was a bar on route 9 just north of west bay ave (554). No longer in bizz. Sorry.

I've been down here for about 8 years and cant believe how much has changed.

thanks peoples for the responses. Geez -- Is 30 the best route through the Catskills, any others with twisties tec. I wouldnt want to miss??
Heidi -- Thanks for the heads up about the post

A very noob moment. I moved down to Barnegat, I figured a good reason to move to Jersey was to be close to the ocean. swimming, and I love fishing
30 around the reservoir is probably the most well known road for bikes. 28A around the Ashokan is nice but has a lot of cars on it on weekends and during the morning commute. Route 145 is nice from Cairo to Sharon Springs. From there you take 20 to the north end of Otsego and then 80 will take you along the lake shore to Cooperstown.

23A from Saugerties to Grand Gorge will take you past Kaaterskill Falls. There are some very tight twisties right around the falls and the pavement is fresh, but there is a lot of car traffic there on weekends and people walking to see the falls. From Grand Gorge you take 30 North to 145 into Cobleskill.

You can spend a week here and not ride every good road. :D The problem is that we are close to NY and get a lot of tourist traffic on weekends.

FWIW, the leaves are at their best right now. That's good for looking, but it brings in lots of peepers.

Geez -- Thanks for the routes. Your so right about the area, so much to see, certainly cant in 1 drive by. A little green with envy.

Looking forward to tooling around up there.

Riding an '03 :

See you around campus

Well lets bring this thread into the EOM realm so it won't need to get moved.

Geezer mentioned Cooperstown, I think this is where the original EOM was back in 2002. This was a few weeks before I got my bike. Is there anyone on the board now that attended this?

Maybe we can get the EOM back at Coopserstown for 2008

Geezer mentioned Cooperstown, I think this is where the original EOM was back in 2002.
C'mon Bill, we already discussed this. The "first" EOM was held at Bear Mountain in NY in fall '02. About 6 or 8 bikes, that was it.

Hey Geezer, you used to live about 10 minutes away from me in Jersey. I'm in Lyndhurst.

Geezer mentioned Cooperstown, I think this is where the original EOM was back in 2002.
C'mon Bill, we already discussed this. The "first" EOM was held at Bear Mountain in NY in fall '02. About 6 or 8 bikes, that was it.

Hey Geezer, you used to live about 10 minutes away from me in Jersey. I'm in Lyndhurst.

I was there with you, Randy. The event has grown a bit from those day's.

geezer,

I raised my kids in Vernon. Where did you live? I owned 3 homes there. Built a home in Highland Lakes, then moved to Old Orchard and then built another home off route 94, a few miles from Warwick.

Beautiful area with lots of good memories. I miss it.

Lived there from 1984 to 2004, when I retired.