Plasti Dipped windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogus

Reaction score
Well, I did it because I had a can of black Plasti Dip that I used for the lower cowl. And because the Plasti dip can be removed if you don't like the outcome. It took about 8 coats to completely cover the windscreen to make it opaque, but I like the results. The backside has an almost but not quite rubbery texture, and the front looks like a normal dark tinted screen. On my 08 I had a Cee Bailys dark tinted screen, and I couldn't really see through it, but didn't need to even though it was a +2". So I know I won't miss seeing through it. If you have ever seen any videos of dipyourcar.com, it appears that the material is very durable. Waddaya think?

It looks cool, but in my case at 5' 10" I know I'd be sacrificing a fair bit of important detail on tight mountain roads to make this a bad idea. I could see this possibly working on a very short (cut-down) screen, but not a tall screen.

I think it looks cool. It is however blocking a bit of vision, so I'd not do it myself. I wonder if there are any legal issues with this? I know a lot of states don't allow you to place stickers or otherwise block vision out of the vehicle window. Not sure how that applies to motorbikes though.

There are times when I want to duck behind my screen and therefor I wouldnt like it. I am a huge fan of tinted windows on the cage though!

Nice look, not for me though. Tried a dark Cee Bailey once and as JamesK points out, cuts the forward vision too much for me.

--G

While I am not sure I would want that for myself, it really looks great against the red bike. My compliments for trying something different and sharing it with us.

Dammit Bogus!!! Would you please stop posting photos of how to make your ES look even better? I'm trying to stay faithful to my beloved '05 and you're not helping at all.
punk.gif

Looks are one thing, but I think it could obscure your view of brake lights, last second debris/potholes, etc. Seems kinda scary to me. But, I have a dislike/fear of road rash. YMMV.

Ed

Registration > Inspections and Emissions > Tinted Windows
New Hampshire law, RSA 266:58-a, allows a vehicle to have aftermarket tinting on windows to the rear of the driver, as long as the light transmittance is not less than 35%. This law also allows persons who require after market tinting on the windshield and on the windows on either side of the driver for medical reasons, as outlined in Administrative Rule Saf-C 2500. This waiver does not allow tinting that is less than 35% light transmittance.

NH Dept. of Safety

DMV - Director's Office

23 Hazen Drive

Concord NH 03305
Even though motorcycles are not specifically mentioned, I suspect that a LEO could enforce this. At state safety inspections the inspector is supposed to look at any window tint and fail vehicles with tint that blocks more than 35% of the light. I looked at a used car recently that will need to have the Mass limo tint removed in order to pass NH inspection.

I'm with the group that needs to see through the windshield even though I'm tall enough to look over the top of almost any aftermarket windshield.

Registration > Inspections and Emissions > Tinted Windows
New Hampshire law, RSA 266:58-a, allows a vehicle to have aftermarket tinting on windows to the rear of the driver, as long as the light transmittance is not less than 35%. This law also allows persons who require after market tinting on the windshield and on the windows on either side of the driver for medical reasons, as outlined in Administrative Rule Saf-C 2500. This waiver does not allow tinting that is less than 35% light transmittance.

NH Dept. of Safety

DMV - Director's Office

23 Hazen Drive

Concord NH 03305
Even though motorcycles are not specifically mentioned, I suspect that a LEO could enforce this. At state safety inspections the inspector is supposed to look at any window tint and fail vehicles with tint that blocks more than 35% of the light. I looked at a used car recently that will need to have the Mass limo tint removed in order to pass NH inspection.

I'm with the group that needs to see through the windshield even though I'm tall enough to look over the top of almost any aftermarket windshield.
I highly doubt that they would enforce this since the intent of the law was so officers can see the driver when approaching the vehicle during a stop. This law does not take into account that passengers of the vehicle could do harm to the officer just as well as the driver.

I sat on the bike and measured to the closest spot on the floor that I could see over the windscreen, and it was app. 8 feet. And as far as sun exposure....time will tell, and if any of these potential problems manifest themselves, I can simply peel off the Plasti Dip......hopefully!