Please Rate FJR1300A versus FJR1300AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SUNNY

Reaction score
I have arthritis and would like to know if the AE version is any good and if it can be gotten used to. And what is it like to ride in town with YCCS. Thanks.

May I recommend you try the search feature, or just browse through some of back pages of threads. There have been a ton of threads on the AE with lots of great information.

"if the AE version is any good" is quite subjective. There are those who love it, having adapted to it with some miles, and some who only "like" it. A few have not liked it.

And what specifically do you mean by "ride in town"? That covers all kinds of situations. Riding in traffic? Slow parking lot maneuvers? What exactly?

Sunny,

I have an AE and have briefly ridden a straight A as well. I will say the AE is different, but it certainly can be gotten used to, very easily in my opinion. I use mine every chance I get, which includes anything from country sight seeing rides to daily work commutes in Dallas traffic.

For an example, the day after I bought my AE, I went on a toy run here in Texas. There were over 70,000 bikes in attendance starting from three different places. So, you can imagine at the begginning and the end, there was a lot of slow and heavy traffic riding. Not having a clutch lever to deal with made the ride a piece of cake. No fatigue what so ever.

Another difference that I can think of is the shift pattern. On the AE, you can use either the foot pedal to shift or the thumb shifter. The shift pattern is not the same as a normal bike. It is N-1-2-3-4-5 instead of having N between 1 and 2. Since I use the thumb shifter all the time, it was not really any trouble to learn or get used to this.

The last difference that comes to mind is low speed riding. During cold weather, the clutch is a little rough, but only lasts until everything is warmed up. Just a few minutes. Say you are going really slow in a parking lot, my old riding would have had me to feather the clutch to moderate the speed. No can do with the AE, so you have to find a balance between the bike engaging and disengaging the clutch. I do so by grabbing a little bit of the back brake. Just a little bit of practice makes this no big deal as well.

They are great bikes, either model. I really like my AE though there are purists out there that say it isn't a real motorcycle. In your situation, it might be just the ticket. Oh yeah, if you are one of those types that like to blip the throttle at the red lights, because it sounds so nice, get used to not doing that on an AE. If that big green N light isn't lit, any tiny amount of throttle above idle, is sending the FJR forward.

Hope that helps,

Bryan

I have a little arthritis myself, and not to make light of your situation as I know arthritis comes in alot of forms and different severities, but when I'm riding nothing really hurts. (except my smile muscles)

I'm thinking that your clutch hand is only part of the equation; if you have arthritis, you have other extremities and joints to worry about too. Clutchless shifting may be somewhat helpfull, but if this is going to be a major decision maker, should you be riding at all?

SUNNY,

You certainly do start some interesting threads....just curious why out of the last four you started, 2 of them were closed by the admins? 26 years old with arthritis so bad you have to buy an AE.....hmmmmmmm something doesn't smell quite right. You guys smell that?? :stink:

SUNNY,You certainly do start some interesting threads....just curious why out of the last four you started, 2 of them were closed by the admins? 26 years old with arthritis so bad you have to buy an AE.....hmmmmmmm something doesn't smell quite right. You guys smell that?? :stink:
I will come to his defense here and give him the benefit of the doubt... Don't jump the gun yet, Like i did in his other thread. Lets see how this plays out.

Last edited by a moderator:
SUNNY,

I really like the AE's auto clutch (YCCS)! It is a step in the right direction as far as automotive/moto enginerring goes.

I will agree with Leartech on the fussy clutch when it's cold, mine shutters at take off but it is not bad. When it warms up it is a smooth as a baby ass. It is funny though, clutch warm up is not related to engine tempature but the friction that is implied to the clutch itself. I have had several occasions where the engine is way hot, 6+ bars, but because I have ridden it say 20 miles only engageing the clutch from a dead stop once or twice, the shutter will be there. However, I can ride 4 miles and stop and start 7-8 times, by the 9 time I start rolling the clutch engagement is SMOOOOTH!

As far as left hand fatuge goes, you do not have it! No clutch lever. Again I will agree with Leartech, at first it is a little weird/jeerky during slow speed manurvers. But is just a short learning curve. Now I have to let out a secret about myself: Though I have ridden for many years and have had many bikes, my last bike was a Suzuki Burgman 650 mega scooter. (Notice I said MEGA and not maxi as Suzuki and Honda call it; it sounds to much like maxi-pad to me, sorry ladies for the reference there). So the slow speed/no clutch lever thing was a no brainer for me. And I know right no some jokers are on the floor laughing their ass off mummbling "he rode a scooter and now he's on a FEEJER". The Burgman IS a great BIKE, don't knock it unless you've ridden one! One of my first bikes back in college was a Honda-Matic, NightHawk I believe it was called. A 550-750cc engine and a two speed auto-tranny, but it had a clutch just no shifting required. It had a shift lever to go from netural to drive, but that was it. Needless to say I have an afinity for auto tranny/clutch enginerring.

I have arthritis and would like to know if the AE version is any good and if it can be gotten used to. And what is it like to ride in town with YCCS. Thanks.
I also have arthritis and scapho-lunate dissociation. In other words, I completely severed a wrist ligament in my left wrist and it isn't repairable. While I still can operate a conventional clutch, my AE is much more user friendly. As previously noted, it took a learning curve to get comfortable, but I really enjoy it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunny,
I have an AE and have briefly ridden a straight A as well. I will say the AE is different, but it certainly can be gotten used to, very easily in my opinion. I use mine every chance I get, which includes anything from country sight seeing rides to daily work commutes in Dallas traffic.

For an example, the day after I bought my AE, I went on a toy run here in Texas. There were over 70,000 bikes in attendance starting from three different places. So, you can imagine at the begginning and the end, there was a lot of slow and heavy traffic riding. Not having a clutch lever to deal with made the ride a piece of cake. No fatigue what so ever.

Another difference that I can think of is the shift pattern. On the AE, you can use either the foot pedal to shift or the thumb shifter. The shift pattern is not the same as a normal bike. It is N-1-2-3-4-5 instead of having N between 1 and 2. Since I use the thumb shifter all the time, it was not really any trouble to learn or get used to this.

The last difference that comes to mind is low speed riding. During cold weather, the clutch is a little rough, but only lasts until everything is warmed up. Just a few minutes. Say you are going really slow in a parking lot, my old riding would have had me to feather the clutch to moderate the speed. No can do with the AE, so you have to find a balance between the bike engaging and disengaging the clutch. I do so by grabbing a little bit of the back brake. Just a little bit of practice makes this no big deal as well.

They are great bikes, either model. I really like my AE though there are purists out there that say it isn't a real motorcycle. In your situation, it might be just the ticket. Oh yeah, if you are one of those types that like to blip the throttle at the red lights, because it sounds so nice, get used to not doing that on an AE. If that big green N light isn't lit, any tiny amount of throttle above idle, is sending the FJR forward.

Hope that helps,

Bryan
Well, there ya go Bryan, if you had bought my FJR instead of that '06, you could blip that throttle while in gear, pop wheelies, drag race, etc....and still have 3 1/2 years of Y.E.S. remaining..... :) (Met Bryan at that Toy run in Grapevine.)

Last edited: