Plugged tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How far will you ride on a plugged tire?

• 0 miles, that's crazy and it's not worth it. I have a credit card and towing service for th

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PhilJet09

Nondescript FJR Hierarchy Displayed
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I picked up a nail and had to plug my rear tire with the sticky stringy type of plugs. It only had about 1500 miles on it so being the cheap b*stard that I am, I hate to change it right away. I commute to work almost every day and am pretty comfortable doing that on this tire, but maybe a little more hesitant to leave town with it. I'd hate to actually have to have it towed and find an open shop with the right tire, that'd be inconvenient. I check the tire pressure almost every day and it's not losing any air, but we'll see. What do you guys and gals do?

I didn't have any luck with the sticky strings personally (been told I'm pretty much a moron because of that) but I used a Stop 'N Go plug when I had a puncture on my nearly new tire and have had no trouble whatsoever. It's just about worn out now so I'll finally have an uncompromised tire again.

I also have a Smartire monitor which was very useful when the sticky strings failed. It alerted me and gave me plenty of time to get off the highway when it started losing pressure.

I got a tire puncture while out in California...rode twisty roads out there and high speeds in Nevada and all the way home. As long as the puncture is on the bottom, a good sticky string repair will last thousands of miles...I've seen it, and it's happened to me.

I've also used the Stop-n-Go plugs many many times and have had great success with them. I got schooled by the "Purveyor of Crooked Facts" about how they don't have a very good track record but, I must be the Lucky One with Batting a Thousand with those things. I've seen them last until you hit the Air! I guess it's a hit and miss thing. I have the Gun that inserts them and I love it. :)

Completely wore out the last rear tire with a sticky string in it. Just replaced that tire with a new PR2 and less than 150 miles on it and I got a flat :angry2: Once again riding on a plugged tire. I don't think I'd plug a front tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I park with my back wheel to a curb in the city as a commuter and as vigilant as I am before backing, I still get punctures from hidden nails, drywall screws, etc. Most or all of my rear tires get sticky string at some point and then I'll run them until no longer comfy with how much tread there is for rain riding. Never had a sticky string plug leak once sealed.

Used the gooey string-type repair in the rear tire, put on an additional 9k miles on it before it started to show signs of leaking at the puncture.

Note-I marked a reference point on the sidewall of the tire so as to be able to find the plugged location more easily as over time it blended in pretty well, would check it prior to any longer rides.

Would only go with a plugged front tire long enough to get home or until able to install a replacement.

I will drive on the string repair only long enough to get home, then it is new tire time. I would drive on a patched tire though depending on the puncture location.

Sticky string forms a nice mushroom inside the tire and there is little chance of it being flung out, whereas other types of plugs like the newer screw in plugs have no shroom inside. Only problem I've ever had [once] was a very slow leak thru the center of the string itself which may have been because the string was old..Use alot of glue..

According to the plug makers, plugged tires should be treated (load and speed) as at least 1 rating lower than their sidewall rating (J down to H, etc.). Of course, tire makers will say they are emergency, to-the-shop repairs only.

That being said, I've ridding a nearly-new tire to end-of-tread-life after a mid-tread plug (at reduced speeds & loads). But it was all local because there's no way I'd risk throwing a plug in BFE where I'm at the whim of whatever is there at price and brand, and/or stuck in BFE for a lift or a shop to open (burning up free time).

I too have had excellent results with the stop-n-go shrooms.

I have gone both ways on this. I came out Saturday morning at NAFO 2010 and found my rear tire completely flat. I plugged it and pumped it up and rode 2-up all day to include the dragon and Cherahala. Came out the next day and found the tire down to about 20 PSI. With the long ride home and 2-up I decided to replace the tire. I am currently waiting for the front ssensor for my TPMS. Once that is functional that changes things. Being able to monitor the pressure constantly will give me more confidence to ride on a plugged tire. Having sticky strings and a compressor with you I think is a must no matter how you feel about this. There are other factors that would affect the decision, though; type and extent of damage, location of damage, age of tire, and proximity to services.

That moron in the second post (had to do it, sorry :D ) probably didn't apply the sticky-string correctly. :p

I sticky-stringed a rear tire that got a nail on Day One, rode it down to the steel, no problem.

As long as the puncture is a simple hole and not a cut, and the puncture is in the tread and not the sidewall, you should have no problem.

I've also used the Stop-n-Go plugs many many times and have had great success with them. I got schooled by the "Purveyor of Crooked Facts" about how they don't have a very good track record but, I must be the Lucky One with Batting a Thousand with those things. I've seen them last until you hit the Air! I guess it's a hit and miss thing. I have the Gun that inserts them and I love it. :)
Only for you majicmaker I just called my illegitimate bastard Hijo (Son) SkooterG and told him to come online to kick your ass for using Stop-N-Go plugs!

No need to thank me, you are welcome. He may also stomp HotRod Zilla's ass too, for the shits and giggles ese!