PNW Winter prep

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Stopped at the local Whistlestop store today for some over the calf wool heavy duty socks. Went N. on hwy 9 to Sedro Wooley yesterday and brunched at the Iron Skillet, prices seem to have gone up a bit, but the chow was tasty. Wore my summer lightweight shorty boots and noticed a distinct cooling of the ankles, that is why the socks, and probably the bigger boots from now on.The heavy rain on Thurs had really cleaned off the road, it was in great shape. Calibrated the heated grips to 10 on 3 arrows, 8 on 2 arrows and 6 on 1 arrow, and am now wearing my First Gear TPG gauntlet type gloves, the ones with the thin palms for heated grips and waterproof, looked for a new pair and no can find so I Camp Dried my old ones and it seems to work fine. If you choose this option, spray them 24 hrs in advance and outside or in the garage as there is an odor.Opened the fairing side wings(vents?) on the bike, can not tell much if any difference yet. Anyone ever answer the question which position is best for cold weather? Mesh gear is all hung up, still layering clothes (old habits die hard) got the heated stuff out but still in the 50s, I travel best cool as opposed to hot. It is nice to not travel bulky tho. Mountains around the sound are really standing out now, saw a tad bit of white stuff way up high. Aw well, into the doldrums we go eh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm clamoring to put together some decent winter gear. Moving from a Kawasaki 650 and a 70's BMW, the level of protection in the FJR still has me riding now, when usually I would stop around the first week of October.

The Firstgear Thermo is tempting, but my FJR was fitted with Gerbings controllers at one point, and heated gear sure seems like a nice idea.

I'm clamoring to put together some decent winter gear. Moving from a Kawasaki 650 and a 70's BMW, the level of protection in the FJR still has me riding now, when usually I would stop around the first week of October.
The Firstgear Thermo is tempting, but my FJR was fitted with Gerbings controllers at one point, and heated gear sure seems like a nice idea.
Heated grips and jacket allows riding whenever the roads are clear of ice and snow...which is most of the time in the metro area.

Try it, you'll like it!

--G

Opened the fairing side wings(vents?) on the bike, can not tell much if any difference yet. Anyone ever answer the question which position is best for cold weather?
Those wings don't seem to make much of a difference until temps drop to freezing or below. There's no ducting of engine heat with them; all they do it block a little of the cold air from hitting your legs. When the air temp is that low, every little thing helps so my wings go out! :cold:

Heated grips and jacket allows riding whenever the roads are clear of ice and snow...which is most of the time in the metro area.

Try it, you'll like it!

--G
Electric gear is the way to go. I recently picked up some heated gloves to go with the Gerbings jacket liner. makes things pretty sweet. Once the snow flies I'm done for the year but the heated gear works good on the tractor while plowing snow.
smile.png