Pointless Recurring Fork Removal FAQ ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faster675

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
..... found one post where someone has taken a couple pictures of a 22 minute fork removal

"one of the bolts you'll need to remove"

"front wheel removed"

"forks removed"

Is there actually a FAQ on fork removal somewhere ?

... I hate to resort to the FSM ... it'll probably tell me to start by disconnecting the battery and removing the Gas Tank ... <_<

(or is it ... low and behold ... accurate, simple, and to the point ? )

Thank You

One more question:

Even if I'm not doing a spring/oil change, I should still do these steps ?

(shipping my forks off to GP)

6.) Turn fork preload adjusters to full soft (out to 5 rings) A. 17mm wrench is needed.

7.) Slightly loosen the top fork caps as these will be tough to loosen if the fork is removed. Two turns should be enough with a 24mm long socket.

???

Ummm... I'm going to make pretend you are serious.

No, you don't need to take the forks apart to send them in. You just need to remove the brakes, wheel, loosen lower triples, loosen upper tripples, and hold them as they slide out.

I would then pack them very, very, very well by wrapping in newspaper, bubble wrap, cardboard, and then placing in a box with peanuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you don't need to take the forks apart to send them in. You just need to remove the brakes, wheel, loosen lower triples, loosen upper tripples, and hold them as they slide out.

I would then pack them very, very, very well by wrapping in newspaper, bubble wrap, cardboard, and then placing in a box with peanuts.

Everything said here is true.

Cashews will work in a pinch.

Um, front fender? :p

Um, front fender? :p
DOH! Oh yeah, that too. :headbonk: