Polaroid Lenses in My Oakleys

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loanarranger

Reaction score
Just got a new set of Polaroid Rx lenses and rode Saturday for the first time.

The view through the helmet visor is not what I wanted! There seems to be a strange iridescent rainbow effect most of the time. Depending on the location and height of the sun, I found myself looking through different color bands in the clear plastic visor that are not normally visable. These were mostly blues and greens, but at times produced a fairly complete light spectrum. Very disturbing on twisting roads.

Has anybody had a similar experience? Any way to cure short of ditching the Polaroid lenses? Another visor material? The helmet is an HJC Symax.

I noticed a similar distortion looking at or through other plastic or Plexiglas such as wind screens and even the FJR speedometer cover even without the visor down. Something to do with plastic and Polaroid lens causing a prsim effect.

I have the same issue with a new pair of Raybans and my Shoei helmet. I have learned to ignore the "rainbow" although at times the colours are quite bright. One really weird thing I noticed is that tar snakes really jump out at you because of the refraction. Unfortunatly, thats the way polorized lenses work and there isn't anything you can do but change to another type of sunglass.

Burk

Just got a new set of Polaroid Rx lenses and rode Saturday for the first time.
The view through the helmet visor is not what I wanted! There seems to be a strange iridescent rainbow effect most of the time. Depending on the location and height of the sun, I found myself looking through different color bands in the clear plastic visor that are not normally visable. These were mostly blues and greens, but at times produced a fairly complete light spectrum. Very disturbing on twisting roads.

Has anybody had a similar experience? Any way to cure short of ditching the Polaroid lenses? Another visor material? The helmet is an HJC Symax.

I noticed a similar distortion looking at or through other plastic or Plexiglas such as wind screens and even the FJR speedometer cover even without the visor down. Something to do with plastic and Polaroid lens causing a prsim effect.
I get some of this when I use plastic "clip-on" sunglasses. I don't get it with my regular prescription sunglasses.

Make sure your visor is clean of any soap/cleaner film. Pop the shield off and rinse under hot water only and rub with your bare hands until it squeeks. Microfiber it dry. Should help. My 'scripts are polarized and glare coated, with either clear or mirrored Shoei shields I get very minor rainbowing...

I got the same effect with a pair of, shall we say, "inexpensive" polarized motorcycle glasses. The pavement was reddish (?). Happened when looking thru other plastic, like visor or windscreen. Problem solved when they broke and I bought some good regular shades for $2.99. I'm not THAT cheap, I just prefer to break or lose cheap ones rather than Maui Jims.

I wear polarized glasses regularly. I don't think that there is much you can do about the rainbow effect. I do know what you're talking about. I've been wearing polarized glasses for so long that it doesn't bother me at all. As a matter of fact, I feel that the glare protection far outweighs any effects inside the visor. Riding directly into sun setting low in the sky? You can't see w/ regular glasses. You can w/ polarized.

To each his own, though. I really don't think that there is much that can be done short of buying something different.