Polish work on FJR Engine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No i am an Custom Polisher, i don't use Clear, They were Polsihed with an special blue Type of soap.

Nice work! Looks great. I really like the engine parts. That would look good on a black FJR. Hmmmmmmm ..... :D

After year's experience Clear is an waste of time, I use Auto solve to keep it kleen, you can throw water on the polish part, & leave it for an week, they won't rust or nothing at all. There were put lots of time into the polish work. And yes the bike is painted in Black for all the know. I will add an picture soon.

Best of Regards

I used lot's of Hand & Machine power on those rims & engine parts, But there is no clear over it, i don't use clear after an year or two they crack & all the nice work is lost, Just use Auto Solve to keep it cleen. Hope you enjoy the pictures, it is an special black paint with pearl added,

Regards

Get out you cotton wheels and elbow greese.

Clicky

I think their are peeps here in the states that do this type of polishing. Check the Hardly forums would be my guess. I do like it though. Have I gone mad and been taken over by the chromaphobes? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Edit: I wonder if you can get whitewall tires to match those seat covers?

Last edited by a moderator:
They look fantastic. I especially like the wheels.

Clearcoat may not be needed in your market, most of California, Texas, etc.

But with the salt put on the roads around here in the winter and then nasty rainwater in the summer, polished aluminum without clearcoat corrodes terribly.

I've had pretty good luck with polishing aluminum and having it stay nice with minimal effort. Wish I could post pics. In 1998 I had back surgery keeping me out of work for 3 months. To keep from going stir crazy during recovery, I stripped our abused 1984 Honda 200X alcohol burning stroked three wheel flat tracker down to the last nut and bolt.

Youngest son broke the tougher bolts loose for me, then I shooed him away so it didn't progress quicker than me. ;)

Part of the total rebuild included stripping & polishing the painted engine cases, cam covers, wheels etc. Converted it back to gas, rebuilt the engine, all new bearings everywhere, two part epoxy frame repaint etc.

The last of three family machines with a history and memories the kids didn't want to let go of.

Sucker still looks great today, 12 years later. I don't think I've had to take Mother's to it more than once or twice since and it wasn't much more effort or time than a wax job. Its had mud stuck to it for months at a time and power washes back to pristine with just a follow up wipe down.

Polishing closes up the surface pores, that along with the corrosion inhibitors from the Mothers and a protective coat of wax makes it more durable than I expected.

And to keep from being a total hijack, that FJR looks great. Any reason besides looks for the strip down xzalion ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Yes i have done alot of work on it ... I have mod te wheels again, only with red strips on the side etc, it looks really nice, There can be ask alot of question here & there about the bike, The polish work takes lot's of time an hard elbow power, But i like it, Will show you more pictures, I even did polish the handle bars! {FJRCHOOSER what do you mean by strip down?

Best of Regards

Excellent. I always thought the black ones were extra sharp looking--at least when they're clean, and this one with the pearl black and the metal all shined up is the shizzle. (That means it looks good, Xz.) Way to go!

{FJRCHOOSER what do you mean by strip down?

Best of Regards
I was asking if you took the motor apart (strip down) just to buff it. Or was engine repair needed, scratched from a drop or ??? some other reason.

I know you had to put a lot of effort into it, especially those wheels !

Hi

No ... no, It did not fall or was in any crash! I just love custom stuff, & no the motor was not remove nor broken, Just plain lovin custom stuff.

Regards

Hi
No ... no, It did not fall or was in any crash! I just love custom stuff, & no the motor was not remove nor broken, Just plain lovin custom stuff.

Regards
Thats a great looking FJR, nice work. I read about restoring bikes and they start off with a fine grit sand paper then use diamond polish and a cotton wheel to shine it up. I agree using the clear though. Too much work to just let it tarnish.