Polished Frame Sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buf2phx

Reaction score
Does anyone have polished aluminum frame sliders installed on an 08 AE? Wondering how they will look with the Granite Gray. Doesn't seem like either black or white is an attractive option. Any pics of sliders on an 08 AE would be cool.

Mike

Those that have "tested" the aluminum sliders have not given favorable reviews. They don't seem to actually slide, but rather they catch on something and bend the mount bolt or worse, yank it out of the engine, maybe with frame damage as well.

Delrin sliders work by wearing down as they slide, which the aluminum ones can't do as well, apparently. (I've never had the aluminum, but I have tested the delrins. Twice.

seriously, ya don't want them

they don't slide like plastic/deltrin which are designed to damage/destroy the sliders and not the bike (as much)

metal sliders tend to dig into the road surface, grab, (not slide :blink: ) and flip the bike to destroy the other side

also, there is at least one documented incident of the alum slider holding together, but the impact of the crash damaged the frame; crashes damage/destroy the delrin plastic slider instead of the bike protecting the frame.

not good

just sayin'

edit: here's wfooshee's reason to recommend the plastic sliders

DSC_0005.jpg

YMMV

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator:
Hadn't thought about the "biting into the road" factor. Guess they shouldn't call them sliders then! ;) Any particular brand of delrin sliders better than another, or can I just grab some off eBay?

Mike

Just don't get the ones that are tipover guards not sliders. They fit the screw how in the lower fairing, and protect from a parking lot drop, but the are NOT frame protectors. Those will fit at the engine mount bolts. Patriot probably has a pic of his when he had tipover guards instead of sliders. (hint, hint) Again, do not want.

Remember, the slider is a sacrificial part. The aluminum "sliders" are bling.

depends on the bike: Feejer? Gen I or Gen II

I have a Gen I (so does wfooshee, and we have R&G made in England about $100) - about our only choice in classic (old) feejers that are Gen I

Gen II, do a google on "sliders site:fjrforum.com" or use frame sliders

Motivation seems to be a good brand

I personally would stay away from the cheapies on ebay - T-Rex slider problems

edit: top lil thingy is a TOG (tip over guard) bolted into frame (tupperware attachment),

bottom BIG thingy is a slider bolted into engine mount

3469318266_d56281e587.jpg

hope this helps

Mike in Nawlins'

Yes, definitely go with a quality delrin slider if you are looking for protection. Get a set that has a metal sleeve inside the bolt hole so you tighten the bolt head against the sleeve and the other end of the sleev is against the meal bracket or engine block. You don't want to be compressing delrin when you tighten the bolt.

Mine are the same R&Gs that Patriot shows and I have tested them with great success. The delrin compressed a bit and mushroomed a little on the inner end, then it wore away as the bike slid.

I have installed a set of the OES sliders, and they are a quality product. They include a metal insert to prevent compression of the Delrin material when tightened. Good Stuff!

Don

I have installed a set of the OES sliders, and they are a quality product. They include a metal insert to prevent compression of the Delrin material when tightened. Good Stuff!Don
+1 on the OES sliders. Good function and a good price to boot.

It has been reported in the past that the aluminum sliders helped flip the bike to the opposite side in a lowside. I guess that realistically, that is heresay. But what would you think... The bike is sliding on one side & suddenly flips to the other.

Do yourself and install the delrin sliders. They look good against '04 silver. I'd expect that it would also look good against the gray.

Good luck

Went ahead and ordered the OES sliders. They say I should have them by Monday! Now I just need to wait for my new bike to put them on. :)

Mike