Poor mans radar screamer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckj

Reaction score
$20 amplified speaker from Radio Shack. The speaker charges from a USB cable included. Playes music for 8 hours so it will go beep beep beep for a really long time. Just velcroed it to the top of my radar detector. It is VERY loud but not very water proof. For 20 bucks it will work.

Last edited by a moderator:
..and you can tell folks it's your DISH TV satellite receiver..
smile.png

Love seeing these homemade conversions (AKA: Afro-engine-EARed FJR inventions).

BTW- I would refine what dcarver suggested you tell peeps..

"It's my Mini Gyro-Tracking 12.2ghz Satellite Dish with uplink transmission capabilities".

This should shutup your bust-on-me peeps
smile.png

Have you seen these?

https://www.marcparnes.com/Visual_Alert.htm

I've got one with a single row of LEDs. Really bright - impossible to miss when your detector goes off. Not sure I'd want a loud audible alarm, since I ride with earplugs or earbuds in. I asusme it's loud enough to warn all the traffic around you as well. I prefer the more discrete visual warning.

Someone here on the forum also posted up about building one for about $10.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/128970-in-dash-radar-detector-visual-alert-for-under-10/

I've got one with a single row of LEDs. Really bright - impossible to miss when your detector goes off. Not sure I'd want a loud audible alarm, since I ride with earplugs or earbuds in. I asusme it's loud enough to warn all the traffic around you as well. I prefer the more discrete visual warning.
I use a piezo electric speaker mounted in my helmet and hooked up to the detector's headphone jack. I prefer the audio alert, as the sound tells you a lot more than a flash. With the audio alerts I instantly know which band it is and the signal strength. I don't have to look down at the GPS after I see a flash to determine that information. I ride with other guys that use the LED and they brake every time their detector goes off - for what are usually false alarms that I simply ignore.

Helmet has speakers in it and I ride with earplugs - switched out the earplugs for ones with teeny earphones, plugs into V1. You do get a lot more data from the sound than from the flashing light and it's an instant warning.