Portable hookup for Kenwood radios

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
I'm planning a european trip in 2008 and would like to bring my kenwood freetalk radios along plus MP3. Any suggestions on portable hookups? I use an autocom for the home bike, but need something I can take to Europe.

Ok, no takers on this thread.

How about what's the best bike to bike radio setup for use on a rental machine where you don't have an installed autocom or the like?

When I first got my Starcom1 unit, I just put everything in a small tank bag for a few shakedown rides. That might be the easy way out. Just make sure you have some way of getting fused power for the tankbag setup. As for the radio, I have no idea what the best setup would be.

David

Check the legality of the radios in the countries you intend to use them in. Different countries allocate the use of frequencies differently. Technically speaking we are not supposed to be using either the FRS or GMRS freqs, I don't recall which one, within a certain distance of even the Canadien border. It would be hard to bust somebody due to the extreme usage of these frequencies here, but you get in a European local, who knows. Have a good trip though.

Jim

Edit; I guess it changed in 2004. GMRS is now good in Canada, but still not Mexico. FRS freqs are for fire in UK though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the legality of the radios in the countries you intend to use them in. Different countries allocate the use of frequencies differently. Technically speaking we are not supposed to be using either the FRS or GMRS freqs, I don't recall which one, within a certain distance of even the Canadien border. It would be hard to bust somebody due to the extreme usage of these frequencies here, but you get in a European local, who knows. Have a good trip though.
Jim

Edit; I guess it changed in 2004. GMRS is now good in Canada, but still not Mexico. FRS freqs are for fire in UK though.
+1

Look at this link.........

FRS or GMRS in europe