possible problem after painting cylinder head cover black

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luis

Reaction score
I would have ever thought of it but after painting the disgusting cylinder head cover in black (looks amazing btw) I just came across an unsuspected problem. You can no longer see whats the gasket from what is the cover in that particular side. For those of you that have done valve clearances know exactly what side I am referring to, dont you? it is the timing chain side. This time it was the best shot. No tank, no throttle cables, no radiator, no thermostat assembly... cant get any better than that. Check the recessed semilunar shapes... all perfect, sticking out a little as they should and yet after my 460mi test ride, a bloody leak!. So all comes off going strait for that side. Recesses all look fine, nothing wrong and yet oil is leaking in between the two shapes. Grabbed a mechanic dental probe and sure enough I can stick it all in. THe gasket has somehow resed into the engine. There is got to be a fold were it just came out of the head cover groove and recessed in. So I guess it is pinched and possibly damaged... bloody hell...not happy... It is too dark in that area and painting the head cover black with a black gasket did not help! I am going to go back in, unscrew the bolts and carefully lift the cover a wee bit and with a probe try to grab the gasket and reposition it into the groove. WIth a bit of luck thai may work. If not, and everything must come off, I will repaint the cover with a different colour and attempt a new approach! Cylinder head gasket ordered just in case plan A does not work out as intended...

IMG_20150314_201111.jpg

By the way, I had a crack in my front fender which I repaired with fiberglass and some bondo. The original paint is $33 or so for a 12oz can plus shipping plus primer and clear coat.

Here is duplicolor (ftat black), $6 and a $2MIR. Same for primer and clear coat. So, $12 altogether!

20150412_111106.jpg

If you do take the head cover off again, use some gasket sealer to stick the gasket to the cover in the correct position. That makes positioning a bit easier. You are supposed to use some sealer around those half moons, but I've done a bunch of valve checks (on my own bike and a few other folks') and never used it and never had a leak while re-using the old gasket.

Hopefully when you pop the cover it will be obvious what happened.

Like the look...One of our local PNW group had his done in red. Haven't seen it yet but should look good - hidden under the tank. :)

Gotta watch those half-moon pieces, they love to fold inward as you slip the valve cover back in position!

--G

........hm.....shoulda gone chrome. All the Harley dudes would have......js.

mine is the same year (2001) but euro model, it got different colour connectors

what is the blue one?

This is 2001 too (Ireland). No idea, never really checked about the blue connectors (there are two).

No adhesive promoter. Sanded the heck out of it. 120, 220, 350, 600, 800 and 1500 grit (I had to repair a crack at the bolt (where it attaches to the fork). Fiberglass inside, dremel the crack a little, epoxy and then bondo. SAnding, cleaning, degrease, then primer, color and clear coat.

The projectors are HID projectors from the retrofit source. Check this link https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/160044-hid-retrofit-with-projectors-and-angel-eyes/?hl=headlights&do=findComment&comment=1178498

Fred, I can see my half moons sticking out in normal position. Oddly enough, I think is the bit of gasket in between the half moon and where it attaches to the sparkplugs and coolant gasket where it has folded in and come out of the cover groove. Will be attempting repair tomorrow. Tonight the tank comes out again. I have pair system out, electrical connections out, coolant emptied, spark plug coils disconnected, thermostat pipe sensor disconnected... almost there...! I am going to try to peak in by lifting that side of the cover a little and pray that if I put a dental probe in there I can grab the gasket and return it to the position where it should be. If that doesnt work then the whole cover comes out and a new re attempt will take place... we'll see

L