Power Commander V installed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcgyver74

Reaction score
Well, decided to take today and do some maint I have been putting off since I got back from EOM, Changed the oil and finally installed the Power Commander V I bought before EOM.

I was concerned about the install, but it turned out to be EXTREMELY easy, the hardest part was unbolting the back of the tank to route the cables under.

First impressions......

1) The "Abruptness" when rolling on the throttle is much improved, If I was a major performance rider I would probably want a G2 throttle cam, but for my riding it seems good.

2) The BIGGEST thing I noticed, is that when on the slab, before installing the PCV I had some pretty solid vibrations around 4k, they are now all but gone....

Still getting used to it, but so far it's pretty good

Have you done engine mods? Intake/Exhaust? Or just added the PC5 to the stock config?

I guess my question is, can this thing make a significant difference to conserve fuel on a bone stock bike?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you done engine mods? Intake/Exhaust? Or just added the PC5 to the stock config?
I guess my question is, can this thing make a significant difference to conserve fuel on a bone stock bike?
These bikes are pretty lean from the factory (at "driving" throttle openings) and i would guess trying to decrease the fuel amounts in that area would be dangerous read***holes in the tops of pistons***. Fuel conservation is usually a wrist thing right.

Cheers

Don

Well, decided to take today and do some maint I have been putting off since I got back from EOM, Changed the oil and finally installed the Power Commander V I bought before EOM.
I was concerned about the install, but it turned out to be EXTREMELY easy, the hardest part was unbolting the back of the tank to route the cables under.

First impressions......

1) The "Abruptness" when rolling on the throttle is much improved, If I was a major performance rider I would probably want a G2 throttle cam, but for my riding it seems good.

2) The BIGGEST thing I noticed, is that when on the slab, before installing the PCV I had some pretty solid vibrations around 4k, they are now all but gone....

Still getting used to it, but so far it's pretty good
How does the PCV install on the bike? Like what does it plug into. Do you have to eliminate the O2 sensor? Or does it plug inline with the stock ECU?

Eric

The bike is bone stock intake/exhaust wise, I only wanted to smooth it out and get rid of the abruptness when accelerating through the twisties.

As far as the install goes, yes you do disconnect the stock O2 sensor, the PCV goes inline with the fuel injector harness.

The install was as follows, route wire under tank and next to airbox, Unplug the 1 connector that goes to the Fuel injector harness, plug one end of the unplugged wire into one side of the PCV, plug the other into the other side of the PCV (it's keyed, so it's impossible to plug it in backwards) after that, run 1 wire to the battery and connect to negative terminal (Yes you do need to go direct to the battery for this), disconnect stock O2 sensor and voila all done!

What the PCV does, is intercept the Fuel injector pulses sent from the ECU and send's its own pulses based on the fuel map you are running, the map tells the PCV how long to have each injector open for a specific RPM range. this is why you disconnect the O2 sensor, if you left it connected, the PCV would richen the mixture, the O2 would sense that and then the ECU would lean it out again, basically the PCV and the ECU would fight each other (not good)

I loaded a base smoothness map (Actually Fuelmoto did it for me when I ordered the PCV) based on stock airbox and stock exhaust.

The nice thing is, if I decide to mod the airbox or cans at a later date, all I need is a USB cable and a new Map and I can upload it to the unit. I plan to add a K&N air filter soon, and when I do I'll upload a tweaked map (You can go in and modify the map yourself if you so desire, but I advise against that unless you REALLY know what you are doing.

I MAY decide at some time in the future to add the AutoTune module to the PCV, the AutoTune comes with it's own Wide band O2 sensor so it's continuously adjusting based on the map you are running...but a lot of riders were using the old PCIII (which didn't have that option) for hundreds of thousands of miles without problem so I have to decide if the extra 250 is worth it...

One extra nice thing about the PCV, is that you can load 2 different maps and wire in a toggle switch to switch between em, that way if you wanted to have one map for smootheness and one for performance you can change with the flick of a switch (One for twisties and performance, one for slab for example)

As for Fuel economy, I doubt it will make the bike use less fuel, you are richening up the mixture which means more fuel, but i'd rather have a smoother running bike and pay a few bucks more in gas....that's just me however...

The bike is bone stock intake/exhaust wise, I only wanted to smooth it out and get rid of the abruptness when accelerating through the twisties.

As far as the install goes, yes you do disconnect the stock O2 sensor, the PCV goes inline with the fuel injector harness.

The install was as follows, route wire under tank and next to airbox, Unplug the 1 connector that goes to the Fuel injector harness, plug one end of the unplugged wire into one side of the PCV, plug the other into the other side of the PCV (it's keyed, so it's impossible to plug it in backwards) after that, run 1 wire to the battery and connect to negative terminal (Yes you do need to go direct to the battery for this), disconnect stock O2 sensor and voila all done!

What the PCV does, is intercept the Fuel injector pulses sent from the ECU and send's its own pulses based on the fuel map you are running, the map tells the PCV how long to have each injector open for a specific RPM range. this is why you disconnect the O2 sensor, if you left it connected, the PCV would richen the mixture, the O2 would sense that and then the ECU would lean it out again, basically the PCV and the ECU would fight each other (not good)

I loaded a base smoothness map (Actually Fuelmoto did it for me when I ordered the PCV) based on stock airbox and stock exhaust.

The nice thing is, if I decide to mod the airbox or cans at a later date, all I need is a USB cable and a new Map and I can upload it to the unit. I plan to add a K&N air filter soon, and when I do I'll upload a tweaked map (You can go in and modify the map yourself if you so desire, but I advise against that unless you REALLY know what you are doing.

I MAY decide at some time in the future to add the AutoTune module to the PCV, the AutoTune comes with it's own Wide band O2 sensor so it's continuously adjusting based on the map you are running...but a lot of riders were using the old PCIII (which didn't have that option) for hundreds of thousands of miles without problem so I have to decide if the extra 250 is worth it...

One extra nice thing about the PCV, is that you can load 2 different maps and wire in a toggle switch to switch between em, that way if you wanted to have one map for smootheness and one for performance you can change with the flick of a switch (One for twisties and performance, one for slab for example)

As for Fuel economy, I doubt it will make the bike use less fuel, you are richening up the mixture which means more fuel, but i'd rather have a smoother running bike and pay a few bucks more in gas....that's just me however...
Cool thanks for all the great info. I was curious if the PCV made you unplug the O2 like the PC3 did. I had not given it a thought that the O2 would counter act the PC programming. I would like to see the O2 sensor used in this kind of mod because it is a much better way to manage the fuel. But to have to pay another $250 for the wide band O2 set up is crazy. I just saw on PC's website they have a new PC3-EX which is carb legal so maybe that is the one I'm looking for it says it plugs inline with the stock ECU so maybe this is the one I've been waiting for

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
But to have to pay another $250 for the wide band O2 set up is crazy. I just saw on PC's website they have a new PC3-EX which is carb legal so maybe that is the one I'm looking for it says it plugs inline with the stock ECU so maybe this is the one I've been waiting for
Don't waste your money on the PC3-EX. It's basically a crippled PC3 with a big dead spot in its map. The extra $250 for the wide band O2 autotune option for the PCV is the only reason to get a PCV rather than a PC3. If you're not going to use the autotune capability of the PCV you might as well just buy a plain PC3.

According to the guys at Fuelmoto DynaTune is transitioning to PCV for all, they don't have a supported PC III, the cost difference between the PC III and the PC V is 10 bucks or something like that

According to the guys at Fuelmoto DynaTune is transitioning to PCV for all, they don't have a supported PC III, the cost difference between the PC III and the PC V is 10 bucks or something like that
I seem to remember someone here saying that they used a 2009 spec PCV on a 2006-2008 model, so I wouldn't be surprised if they could use a 2006-2008 PC III on a 2009, also. But as you say the price is less than $10 more for a PC V compared to a PC III, so it makes sense to buy the model that is supposed to work with the 2009.

If I didn't already have a PC III I would buy a PC V with the autotune wideband 02 module, no question about it.

I bought a PC III for my 2007 from Absolute Cycle Performance:

https://www.shopabsolutecp.com

YAMAHA (POWER COMMANDER III USB) [^top]

Qty Description Our Price (USD)

Send to a Friend Send to a Friend

FITS: FJR 1300 06-08

Part#: 1020-0244

List Price: $349.95

Our Price: $269.95

You Save: $80.00

YAMAHA (POWER COMMANDER V) [^top]

Qty Description Our Price (USD)

Send to a Friend Send to a Friend

FITS: FJR-1300 09

Part#: 1020-0893

List Price: $359.95

Our Price: $287.96

You Save: $71.99

No, the bike it too lean from the factory - that is what's causing all the problems. My Power Commander killed my mileage. My best guess is I now get nearly 10% worse mileage - but I've had it on for about two years now and have zero regrets. It made a huge difference in drivability.

Even if I had a 2008 or prior I'd probably still get the PCV for 2 reasons..

1) The ability to add the AutoTune

2) The ability to toggle between 2 maps...

I may add the AutoTune module over the winter, but for the time being I think that it's MUCH better then stock :)