Power Commander V ???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimefjr

Reaction score
Help!!! I have no clue which power commander to get...I just put on Hole Shot exhaust and now the idle is way up and way down to a point of almost stalling...does anyone have any experience with the PCV or should I go with a PCIII???

If you'd be interested in the AutoTune module, then get the PCV. The AutoTune allows you to specify desired air/fuel ratios (AFR) at all the different throttle/RPM combinations, then uses a wide band O2 sensor in the exhaust to measure the actual AFR and automatically tunes itself until the desired AFRs are achieved. Your bike is continuously fine-tuned for current conditions as you ride it. With the AutoTune, you could perform further modifications to the bike (like air box mods) in the future and your bike will automatically tune itself to make the best of the modifications.

If you don't care about AutoTune and will never want it, then save some money and get a PCIII... assuming that you can get a hold of a PCIII map for your specific exhaust, etc. Otherwise, you'd need to get a custom map tuned on a dyno for your bike. The cost of a PCV + AutoTune probably isn't that much more than a PCIII + custom tuning, so the PCV would probably be the better choice.

When you say "Holeshot exhaust", do you mean "full Holeshot exhaust system", or just "Holeshot slip-ons"? If you have the full exhaust system, then you would need to get an O2 sensor bung welded to the header so you have a place to put the O2 sensor for the AutoTune.

I have the slip ons only...and I realized last night that my idle had dropped down to around 900 and raised it to the 1100 and it is much better now...still doing it like it had with stock exhaust...not sure what I will do now...but it can only help ...hmmmmmm well I will be leaaving any minute for my commute and see how it runs...thanks

I did notice on a 60 mile ride after putting them on my fuel consumption was WAY up...so I will probably still do this hoping for better fuel management...

Muchas gracias, UselessPickles -- you learn the most interesting stuff on this site. (I've got a PCIII and full Muzzy 4-2-1 system on the FJR and a PCIII and full Micron 4-2-1 system on the Blackbird, but hadn't kept up on DynoJet's newer offerings like the PCV.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did notice on a 60 mile ride after putting them on my fuel consumption was WAY up...so I will probably still do this hoping for better fuel management...
Stock 06A, added a PC3 and MPG went down about 15%.

Don't get your hopes up.

Stock 06A, added a PC3 and MPG went down about 15%.

Don't get your hopes up.
There's hope with the PCV + AutoTune. If there is data logging capability, you can pinpoint the areas of the map that are used for your most common cruising speeds, then lean those areas of the map out for improved fuel efficiency. The freeway cruising speed areas have the most potential for improvement because they require relative high throttle positions to maintain speed - about 16-20% @ 75mph. For comparison, cruising around 50mph in 5th only requires about 5-6% throttle.

That's about 3-4 times the amount of throttle to maintain a speed that's only 50% higher.

I'm in the process of working on improving fuel efficiency the same way with my Motty AFR Tuner without sacrificing off/on throttle transition smoothness or acceleration at higher throttle positions. Right now, I have very smooth power delivery and got 40mpg on my last tank (which included a bit of hooligan riding). I've since leaned out my freeway cruising speed area from 14.2:1 to 14.7:1, so it should be getting better.

If I have to choose between better gas mileage and smooth power deliver, I'll choose smooth power delivery. It makes the bike so much more enjoyable, and it still gets much better gas mileage than my car while having the acceleration of an exotic sports car.

Does anyone know if the PC V will work on a 2008 AE.? I contacted Dynojet but they said it is intended only for 2009 and newer models and they don't test or sell them for earlier models.