Power Commander

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's called a Power Commander and talked about many, many, many times on this board including the Gen I Bin-O-Facts. You might want to consider searching on +power +commander to see over 2 years of threads on this part for the FJR. Many people like them very much.

I tweaked your thread title for you and moved it to the correct area of the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like mine on my '05... and I use the Wally Smoothness map. It eats a bit of gas mileage, but the engine is very well behaved now... we'll see if adding the Remus pipes alters the situation.

I like mine on my '05... and I use the Wally Smoothness map. It eats a bit of gas mileage, but the engine is very well behaved now... we'll see if adding the Remus pipes alters the situation.
Groo / Anybody else with Remus pipes - Let me know what you wind up doing for a map with your Remus pipes. I just installed some Hexacones, and will be getting a PCIII shortly. It will have the stock map installed. Not looking for the bike to run rich, but want smooth low end response and a bit more mid range and top end if possible.

Thanks,

Dano

Groo / Anybody else with Remus pipes - Let me know what you wind up doing for a map with your Remus pipes. I just installed some Hexacones, and will be getting a PCIII shortly. It will have the stock map installed. Not looking for the bike to run rich, but want smooth low end response and a bit more mid range and top end if possible.

Thanks,

Dano
Dano,

I just discovered last night that they have a Remus map on the Power Commander website for the FJR. My plan is to give it a try, and then maybe run some combination of the Wally smoothness map and it...

This will not be a popular response, but I did not like mine.

The install is easy, and the bike seemed more lively, however...

The stock bike is quieter with better mileage, and stock power is enough for me.

It is supposed to help with low end throttle response and it does, I think.

Unwind the middle spring one wrap and that may be enough (it was for me.)

I have an stock '05 and did the spring thing w/ Barbarian Mod, but the low speed "Throttle reponse" still wasn't like I thought it should be. U-turns w/ passenger was something to be avoided. After the PCIII, low speed response was hugely improved. No more feeling like on/off proposition. Don't hesitate in taking a needed U-turn anymore. My S.O. also noticed the difference from the pillion. A 5+ on a 1-5 scale. Easy install and changing maps is anticlimatic.

Using the Wally Smoothness map.

+1 for Bike Effects

Hope this helps.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi blueman,

I like my PC (but not the gas mileage). Every guy like other things. What did you like - power or economy?

In my opinion the stock bike is weak like a toothless grandma in engines lowspeed (<4500/min). For fun the engine must been hold between 5000/min and 9000/min and sounds like a virgin with the stockexhaust. huh ... don't hit me please.

The first act is to calibrate the CO exactly (including syncronize the throttle bodys)! Then the stock bike runs much smoother and powerful. It is also the first step before installing a PC.

Some other recommended mods (in my mind) are the air filter assembly and the exhaust. I have modified the airbox with the Meissner VA plate wich replace the original air tube. The stock air filter element is replaced by an K&N. Because the stock cans always scratching on the road I swap them with Sebring Twister slipons. The streetlegal inserts (dB-Eater) are modificated to make double flow possible. If the officer stick something into it, he feel the resistance as well. My buddy also discard the cats. :ph34r:

Now the PC can work. I've tested several mappings. After testrides I analyse the maps and build the next with the most powerful parts. Or I get a new map from the www and test again. So I get step by step MY map. Be aware: the effect of a mapping can be different in combination with different basic settings of the bike (CO, suction pressure, mods).

If you gave me your email I can send you some of my mappings without any warranty for working properly on your bike.

Here you see the dyno chart of my buddys 2002 FJR before (blue line, mostly stock, with open airbox) and after (red line, w/o cats, w/open airbox, w/Sebrings, w/PC). Leftside the power (hp) - right side the torque (m*kg, 1 m kg = 0,752 ft lb) - downside enginespeed (rpm).

FJR_vorher_nachher.jpg

Discovered that mine had one on it when I tried to adjust the seat, but it wasn't plugged in properly. Now that it is, I have been using the Wally Smoothness map in it and I love it! Sure, you lose a few MPG, but the additional pep is worth it. Wife and I went on a short ride down to Bob Evans Festival this past weekend ( was roughly a 250+ trip ) and down the highways running 65-75mph I still averaged 47+MPG.

Hey Troy,

Could you provide a link to the Meissner VA plate, that you used to modify your airbox? All I get from a google search is about some guy named Meissner. Looks like winter is starting to set in around here so I will have time to work on the bike.

Bill