Power Commander

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queensland Ken

Reaction score
Greetings,

I finally ordered and installed a Power Commander on my 06 FJR.

I had been waiting for 3 months for the distributer here in Australia to get it in.

I finally rang the local dealer and cancelled my order.

I finally bought it at Bike Effects and Jeff was very helpful. It was here in only 7 days.

My first impression is that bike is smoother in the 80 - 110 km range, good acceleration and torque.

2.5 - 3.5 RPMs. It still stumbles a bit around town in the lower rev range.

I have previously done the TBS and have better grips and accidently removed 2 turns of the

throttle springs. I feel that above 2500 revs the engine is much smoother, hardly any vibrations through the bars.

The current Map is for a standard bike, but I will try Wally's Smoothness map in a few weeks time.

I would like to think the Yamaha could of easily addressed this problem.

I'd like to thank all the members how have contributed to the PC3 posts.

Regards

Ken

Hello Ken

I have also installed a PC on my 06 FJR. I had a custom dyno run done at the same time.

Highly recommended...

No surging, at any RPM, no drive line lash, no snatch when changing from 1st to 2nd and a big hit above 5000 RPM...

Rgds

Glenn

Make sure you get the Wally Map for the Gen II (I think they made one). the Gen I map will not work right on your bike.

The Wally Smoothness map is the way to go. Put it on my 07 after riding with the stock map, and the difference was more than just adding the PCIII over stock. I found that the G2 throttle took out the rest of the surge and non-civil habits (except for being top heavy) of the bike.

Happy riding!

Hello KenI have also installed a PC on my 06 FJR. I had a custom dyno run done at the same time.

Highly recommended...

No surging, at any RPM, no drive line lash, no snatch when changing from 1st to 2nd and a big hit above 5000 RPM...

Rgds

Glenn
Hi Glenn,Good result. Did you go the way of the G2 as well? And have you done TTS release?

Cheers mate

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wally Smoothness map is the way to go. Put it on my 07 after riding with the stock map, and the difference was more than just adding the PCIII over stock. I found that the G2 throttle took out the rest of the surge and non-civil habits (except for being top heavy) of the bike.
Happy riding!
The Aussie bikes are different to theirs so be careful with these maps.

My first impression is that bike is smoother in the 80 - 110 km range, good acceleration and torque.2.5 - 3.5 RPMs. It still stumbles a bit around town in the lower rev range.

Regards

Ken
Ken, did you run it on a dyno after fitting?

Without a dyno run you will not be getting any where near the full benefit of a Power commander.

The map that comes with it is basic, only a dyno will get the mapping correct.

Happy riding!
The Aussie bikes are different to theirs so be careful with these maps.
Correct.

Further, I am unaware of the Wally Smoothness Map for the Gen II FJRs. Did I simply miss it when it was released? That having been said, I know that Wally spent lots of time mapping cell by cell to obtain an air/fuel ratio range of 13.2 to 13.5 from 5% throttle at 1500 rpm to 80% throttle at 6000 rpm. I wouldn't be overly surprise to learn the Wally Smoothness Map is working pretty well on Gen II bikes.

If my Aussie brethren are using the Gen I Wally Smoothness Map on your Gen II bike and it is performing well for you, it is likely due to happenstance than by design. There have been quite a quite ECU tweaks to North American FJRs between 2003 and 2007 model years, thanks to increasingly stringent EPA requirements.

Still, if after installing the Wally map, you are finding the power is there, the smoothness is there, the MPG is there.... then I'd call it good.

Last edited by a moderator: