Power for passenger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am farkling out my '08 for "Two-Up" touring. I want to add power ports for the passenger and was leaning towards the POWERLET dual outlet attached to the seat key area. Is there a better solution?

I guess all of these options are better than handing her a battery to hold on her lap. Oh you want to be warm and comfortable.

I just wanted to say that your "Where I've ridden map" is most impressive!!!
Carry on...
Pfffttt. I'll be impressed when he gets to Nunavut and the NWT.
winksmiley02.gif

Hey, that gives me a thought Pathfinder - the folks in Newfoundland could use some power right about now - let's see how much output you can get out of one of those Powerlets!

I've got dual Powerlets [by the key] on my '09 too. Don't know how convenient they would be for passenger power since they're down so low.

IIRC, there's a forum pic showing a Powerlet socket installation in the tail section plastic. Might be worth a look-see...

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to say that your "Where I've ridden map" is most impressive!!!

Carry on...
Pfffttt. I'll be impressed when he gets to Nunavut and the NWT.
winksmiley02.gif

Hey, that gives me a thought Pathfinder - the folks in Newfoundland could use some power right about now - let's see how much output you can get out of one of those Powerlets!
NWT... close But not even remotely close to Nunavut

Hmmm Bounce's mod. is close to what I was thinking about...

A power bar mounted on the rear of the GIVI w/ waterproof disconnect for removal of top case.

I have a port mounted on one of Townsend's helmet lock bracketsor clicky

Made by one of our own (in Fla no less). Scott was a pleasure to deal with.

He has them for either side, black or silver with space for 1 or 2 ports as best I recall.
Thanks for the compliment!
Below are some pic's with the dual electrical outlet brackets(also a 2014 model):

(Just a side note, for the 2014 ES MODEL ONLY, No brackets are available for the left side due to changes for the electronic suspension. The regular version 2014 model is the same as the 2013 model, NO issues...)

Left side single outlet (dual available also, just no installed pic's available):

Left side, double outlet (not installed-now in frame matching metallic silver ONLY):

2014 model, no outlet:

Actually, if you wanted JUST a double outlet (or single) on ether side, I can modify the bracket,(shorten it up and eliminate the helmet lock area of the bracket), so it just has outlet holes.

If interested PM me, Scott

I am farkling out my '08 for "Two-Up" touring. I want to add power ports for the passenger and was leaning towards the POWERLET dual outlet attached to the seat key area. Is there a better solution?
Hold on there Tony, WHAT do you want to power?

Don't be that guy dragging powerlet cords all over when you only needed a co-ax plug in for heated gear.

If you're just wanting power for heated gear, skip the power port and install a panel mount co-ax port. That way she(or he), only has to plug the Heat Troller's co-ax plug in and can easily keep the H/T clipped to their jacket.

If you're looking for GPS power, that's another issue and can be handled other ways, including a power port.

I am looking at a powerlet also. Question though.. in looking at the pictures above, does a passenger boot interfere with the connection? I ride two up quite often and honestly, the heat is for her mostly. I am debating running it out from under the seat, versus a plug mounted on the fairing panel, versus the Powerlet by the passenger footpeg.

I think I want a port on the fairing for me when I do ride in the cold by myself. But does running the wire past me to the passenger pose an issue? I wouldn't think so. The wire might scratch up the paint on a bit I suppose.

Running it from under the seat seems reasonable but not sure if I need to cut any notches or if it will pinch the cable

The powerlet by the peg seems like a good idea as long as boots are not kicking it.

Thoughts? Pro's and cons of each option from guys with experience?

re: passenger boot

Nope. They don't even know it's there unless they need to use it.

I don't like draping wires from the front to the back because they often drape over my leg, rub on paint or snag when I want to stand on the pegs (or get off the bike). The mid-mount solves all those issues.

re: passenger boot
Nope. They don't even know it's there unless they need to use it.

I don't like draping wires from the front to the back because they often drape over my leg, rub on paint or snag when I want to stand on the pegs (or get off the bike). The mid-mount solves all those issues.
+1 ^^^.

Running the cord from the dash back tends to flop about especially at highway speeds. I have my

variable controller velcrowed onto the left side of my leather jacket, the coiled wire simply plugs in on

the left side (which I mount/dismount from).

Even if you forget, the Powerlet would just pop out without any damage to the tank, etc.

Plugging in is simply done once mounted up. Look down to the left, flip the cover open and plug in.