Power options for our bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
Have have pulled and read the threads about the Powerlet products for the last 2-years and I wanted to see what other options there were? I am looking to get some heated gear and it seems like they are really the best and the only game in town. I think I will end up getting the Tourmaster Synergy Heated Vest so I want to make sure it will plug into the Powerlet. Is Powerlet the best or is there something better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have have pulled and read the threads about the Powerlet products for the last 2-years and I wanted to see what other options there were? I am looking to get some heated gear and it seems like they are really the best and the only game in town. I think I will end up getting the Tourmaster Synergy Heated Vest so I want to make sure it will plug into the Powerlet. Is Powerlet the best or is there something better?
I used to have to old style cigarette lighter which are still really common. It mostly worked but the spring loaded tip would sometime pop just a bit and disconnect the power. That's gone now and I don't miss it a bit. I've gone to the Powerlet now with absolutely no regrets. I love the way it snaps in never to be accidentally dislodged. And it was the only other option that I could find. Also, because it was the second most common and growing in popularity. For example, I just ordered a Battery Tender. I see that they have a Powerlet adapter so you can plug the charger into your Powerlet outlet - no plastic to remove to get to the battery. That tells me that the Powerlet is becoming even more widespread. If that heated gear doesn't have a Powerlet plug but rather the SAE plug, you can get a ready made adapter at Whitehorse Gear for SAE to Powerlet. It's the PAC86 adapter. I think you nailed it when you said Powerlet is the only game in town.

I have two of the "N" coaxial sockets, mounted above the right headlight adjuster knob and to the right of that. The location orients them with the openings down, so they don't collect rain or spray. I also made a little rubber plug for each. Those are just a chunk of rubber rod with a hole drilled in the end. The little plugs disappear from view when not in use. They're easy and cheap from Radio Shack and are the original size for my Gerbing heated clothes. Absolutely never have had a problem with them disconnecting during a ride.

Link to RS socket

I also changed my Garmin GPS to a male "N" plug on the transformer which was a huge improvement, as the original was intended to go into a cigarrette lighter, but was so poorly designed it kept losing electrical contact. When in the car, I usually just use the GPS on batteries and charge it on my Blackberry charger when it's low on power and I don't need it for a while. The battery is good for several hours and I keep telling myself that I'll make a cigarrette plug / Size "N" adapter cable for the car, but "some day" hasn't arrived yet.

If it weren't for having a bunch of Gerbing stuff, I probably would've gone with the Powerlet, which is available from BMW dealers and John Deere.

Aerostich has a number of options.

I tried the QuickConnect on my KLR and was not happy with it. I had to use a zip tie to hold the plug in to it. I'm using the Powerlet on the FJR. Be careful not to bend the plug ears back by being sloppy plugging it in.

It looks similar to the RS mentioned.

Does anyone use this item by Townsends1300. LINK I use the helmet guardian and was able to have a locksmith set it up so the ignition key would also work in the helmet lock. If the two Powerlets on both sides stay securely in this metal bracket then I think we might have a winner. Does anyone have any experience with this item?

FJRoutlets2.jpg

The pictures posted above are for the right side only. The below picture is a Helmet Guardian lock assembly/single outlet on the left side of an 2007 FJR. The side cover is not on(sorry, don't any pictures with the side cover on)... This shows where the lock/outlet are located once installed... I prefer the left side mount as my Widder vest electrical connection exits on the left side with a BMW style outlet. The BMW style outlets usually don't come loose while under way but will release (if dismounting amd forgetting) without damage.

LSWoutlet.jpg

Someone mentioned this above I think, but whatever you get, you can get or make an adapter to allow you to hook up other stuff. The problem with the cigar lighter style on a motorcycle is the vibration and wind and leg motion tending to knock 'em out. That's probably why Moto Guzzi put theirs under the seat, and why the FJR's is in the little locking box at the left of the dash.

Powerlet is more secure against wind, vibration, or rider motions, and BMW tends to put them where they are more easily accessible on the outside.

I personally like the SAE two pin connector and I have a fused pig tail at my battery. It doesn't intrude on the appearance, it required no cutting or modification, its capped when not in use. You can use it for a battery tender if you want. Make sure the fuse you use (and the wires of the pig tail) are up to the task you're asking it to do. I don't add a lot of heavy drawing items, like lights, big horns, etc., so the SAE 2 pin fused pig tail works for me.

There is also the DIY method that works very well and costs a fraction of some of the fancy schmancy power blocks.

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=25

That, along with the well-know and excellent service from the Powerlett people makes it hard to go wrong.

And, yes, I agree with those that recommend the Powerlett/BMW/John Deer connections. They are more robust, keep a sound electrical/mechanical connection in the harsh environment of a bike, and (due to the additional conductors) have the potential to handle a greater load than a car-like cigar lighter adapter. That they don't require as mcuh room to install is a plus.

The pictures posted above are for the right side only. The below picture is a Helmet Guardian lock assembly/single outlet on the left side of an 2007 FJR. The side cover is not on(sorry, don't any pictures with the side cover on)... This shows where the lock/outlet are located once installed... I prefer the left side mount as my Widder vest electrical connection exits on the left side with a BMW style outlet. The BMW style outlets usually don't come loose while under way but will release (if dismounting amd forgetting) without damage.
LSWoutlet.jpg

Townsend,

I've been searching all over for your single combo setup. Can you help me out?

Sullivan

I use the powerlet because they're vibration proof. I also like the coax type used by Gerbing. In have both types on my electrics and my battery tenders.

There are other alternatives. I've yet to find a cellphone charger that fits a Powerlet.
For alternatives, try https://cycletips.blogspot.com/2008/01/accessory-outlets.html
Have you tried a cell-phone power source into a Cigarette Style adapter and into a Powerlet?

That's what I use sometimes to recharge my phone and it works fine.
Sorry, not interested in carrying another piece of cabling that can lose contact. Number of failure points doubles and PITA factor probably triples.

LSWoutlet.jpg

Townsend,

I've been searching all over for your single combo setup. Can you help me out?

Sullivan
_________________________________________________________________________________

PM sent

Powerlet is awesome and I have had no trouble with them ever over the years. They make bike specific outlets with the correct length leads and have all the adapters for near anything you have. I have one cig adapter in the tnak bag for charging needs from auto adapters. They also make a powerlet to cig adapter. I have installed them on the last 4 bikes and they have always installed nicely. I run my tank bag powered by a powerlet. Inside is a V1, autocom, phone, i-pod and a cig adapter. I have two oulets on the fjr and the vtx. I have one on the Wee Strom and use a protable heatroller on the fjr and strom for heated gear. A big thumbs up

Does anyone use this item by Townsends1300. LINK I use the helmet guardian and was able to have a locksmith set it up so the ignition key would also work in the helmet lock. If the two Powerlets on both sides stay securely in this metal bracket then I think we might have a winner. Does anyone have any experience with this item?
FJRoutlets2.jpg
I have his brackets on my bike and they work great. The right side is a solo for the helmet guardian lock and the left side is a dual bracket for the lock and a powerlet for my heated liner. This setup has worked great for me for over a year now. I run the heater cord between my legs and plug it in before mounting the FJR. I haven't done it yet, but if I were to walk away without unplugging the powerlet should just unplug. I have started to walk away and the slight tension of the coil cord has reminded me to unplug.

BTW, I see you've already had your locks rekeyed, but for anyone else reading - I posted instructions for rekeying the locks in the for sale forum under the Townsends bracket sale thread.

Click here for your Powerlet needs from an FJR Owner and vendor (that also gives a discount to forum members)

I have a hot powerlet on the right dash panel and a switched powerlet on the left. I use the hot one the most as that is where I plug in my Battery Tender. I also plug in the cigarette lighter adapter into the one on the right to plug in my cell phone charger. Never had a problem.

Are there others? Probably. Has Powerlet and the service provided by Jeff at bikeeffects.com ever given me a reason to look elsewhere? Absolutely not.

Latest posts