Power Outlet, wire to battery, or both?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew231506

0 Posts Per Day
Reaction score
I am getting an older GPS Unit (garmin V) from a friend (mainly use as a compass :) )...I also will be getting a radar detector and an autocom system soon. Will I be able to wire all of these directly to the battery? Should I install a power outlet? Do you know where I can find the power outlets for the fjr?

Thats all for now!

Thanks!

For the outlets I think SportBikeEffects in the venders section carries them.

Do you want switched power or on all the time?

I suggest switched power, does your GPS have a battery? If not and you switch the power it will turn off every time you stop for fuel.

I ran a lead for the GPS directly to the battery (with a fuse).

For the rest I installed a female Powerlet on the left lower fairing piece closest to the left knee. Then I made my tankbag a "powered" bag and plug the male Powerlet plug into that. This one is switched and in my tankbag I run a power block. From that I power my GPS, Starcom, cell phone charger, and other gadgets. One plug and my whole tank bag goes with me and most of my goodies.

I installed a Blue Sea 5025 fuse panel under the front seat and wired it to the battery through a relay. The 'trigger' for the relay is the black wire in the connector that controls the screen retraction (disconnected).

My GPS and Autocom are wired to the fuse panel - the intent is to wire any other Farkels to the fuse panel as well. The relay is up front, next to the battery - the + wire coming off the battery has a 50 amp inline fuse BEFORE the relay, just in case.

I suggest making the accessory connection to a switched power source because the battery simply isn't all that large. If you leave accessories on, the battery will eventually be drained.

If all you have is the one item, perhaps snaking a cigarette lighter cord out of the 'glove box' is a simpler alternative for you.

+1 on the switched power for electronics. I wired my radar detector directly to the battery, forgot it on there for a few days, and didn't have enough power left in the battery to spin the starter. Now I have it wired through a switched source.

Thanks to all. I just ordered one from powerlet. Hooking it up to a 'switched' source...is this something else i have to order or just a different way of installing?