PowerCommander, is it really worth it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afterburn

Modding Mechanic
Reaction score
Topic says it.. is the PowerCommander really worth the admittance? I am not unhappy with how the FJR runs, but the slight surging when filtering through traffic can be annoying, and I feel it could pick up better and more powerful from 2500-3000rpm. Now it's like it has to think about it for a sec before it jumps forward.

But at 300 bucks, it is not the cheapest piece of equipment, so I'd like to know if it is worth its price.

You'll probably get the whole gamut of responses...

I installed one about a month ago... didn't like the low speed hesitation/surging... thought I'd try it out, and if I didn't like it, or see any difference, I'd sell it. So far, I'm liking it. Intend to try out the accelerator pump sometime in the near future as well. Plus, if you ever get a replacement header system, or new pipes, or a different air filter, it can help get the bike running like/better than new...

Makes all the difference in the world-especially with the many maps that are out there. You can literally tune it for city wheelie power, or slab mileage, or ?????. One of the best tuning/power/smoothness investments you can make.

I had my 03 for over a year and then did several things at the same time:

1) Installed the PC111

2) synched the throttle bodies

3) Installed iridium plugs

I don't nknow if it was 1 thing or the combination of all 3 but it ran like a sewing machine after. NO vibes or surgin/hesitation.

Glenn

You can try to find a Dynojet certified location and build your own map... that's what lots and lots of folks do.

Based on your location... I'd try one of these places....

Dynojet centers in the Netherlands

Last edited by a moderator:
I put the Power Commander on my '05. It runs a little FAT with the 001 map and O2 sensor disconnected. The heat was greatly lowered though. It usually runs at 2 bars unless I'm in stop and go traffic for a while. The gas Mileage is about 43mpg.

I tried the Wally's map and it ran HOT! I dont know why though. I know that the map is smooth but the heat was noticably up, about 6 bars just going to the freeway onramp. On the Freeway it ran about 3-4 bars unless I hit a cool spot of air. I think that it is a very lean map. I wonder if Wally lives in a different climate or altitude then me in Southern Cal.???? I heard that the mpg is about 46-48mpg.

I would like to know of some more maps for Stock '05 FJR's. Anyone know where to get the downloads?

Too bad that Power Commander dosnt have a switch to toggle between several maps without going thru the cleanout and redownload.

I tried the Wally's map and it ran HOT! I dont know why though. I know that the map is smooth but the heat was noticably up, about 6 bars just going to the freeway onramp. On the Freeway it ran about 3-4 bars unless I hit a cool spot of air. I think that it is a very lean map.
Somethings real wrong if your running 3-4 bars on the freeway and 6 bars on the on ramp. Sure you didn't pick up a plastic bag on your radiator inlet? Maybe the gauge is malfunctioning? Are you sure the map loaded? I would think at 6 bars the thing would be puking it's guts on the pavement. I've run with and without a PCIII, using many different maps including Wally's, on two different FJR's and never approached the level of heat you're talking about. Was it running that hot before you installed the PCIII? For sure somethin' ain't right. Probably ought to get it checked out. Good luck! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the Wally's map and it ran HOT! I dont know why though. I know that the map is smooth but the heat was noticably up, about 6 bars just going to the freeway onramp. On the Freeway it ran about 3-4 bars unless I hit a cool spot of air. I think that it is a very lean map.
Somethings real wrong if your running 3-4 bars on the freeway and 6 bars on the on ramp. Sure you didn't pick up a plastic bag on your radiator inlet? Maybe the gauge is malfunctioning? Are you sure the map loaded? I would think at 6 bars the thing would be puking it's guts on the pavement. I've run with and without a PCIII, using many different maps including Wally's, on two different FJR's and never approached the level of heat you're talking about. Was it running that hot before you installed the PCIII? For sure somethin' ain't right. Probably ought to get it checked out. Good luck! :(
Never had more than 4 bars and that only at idle. Maybe the guage?

+1. Are you sure you even have a map loaded? It has happened where a bad load empties the PC altogether, and a no map PC is weird as hell. Happened to me, either I blew the load (have fun with that one) or the PC lost it for some reason, but it too was lean as hell.

Does anyone know when the PC for the '06 models will be available? My dealer tells me its a different part number than the PC for the earlier models and he doesn't know when he'll have one.

Adios....

Woody

Does anyone know when the PC for the '06 models will be available? My dealer tells me its a different part number than the PC for the earlier models and he doesn't know when he'll have one.
Adios....

Woody
Dynojet has a part number but has not released them yet and normally does not say in advance when that will happen. They do turn them out in batches so we will have to wait and see how our priority is.

Adios....

Woody
Dynojet has a part number but has not released them yet and normally does not say in advance when that will happen. They do turn them out in batches so we will have to wait and see how our priority is.ize=1]

Guys...First of all, I want to thank all of you for making this site such a great FJR forum. I will try and contribute as much as I can to help out. This is my first post. Just picked up my new "06" 2 weeks ago, s/n xxx176. Lots of stuff to discuss.

My first key issue is about the Dynojet Powercommander. I just got an offer for a free one if I let them use the bike for a couple of days. Have a few concerns...since the bike runs great and it only has 1400 miles.

These guys will probably ring the RPM to redline who knows how many times??..and make some modes to the wiring and installation. Is it worth it? What about the warranty? If I decline there offer I will make this available to one of you if interested. Your thoughts/comments!!!!

Last edited:
My first key issue is about the Dynojet Powercommander. I just got an offer for a free one if I let them use the bike for a couple of days. Have a few concerns...since the bike runs great and it only has 1400 miles.These guys will probably ring the RPM to redline who knows how many times??..and make some modes to the wiring and installation. Is it worth it? What about the warranty? If I decline there offer I will make this available to one of you if interested. Your thoughts/comments!!!!
I can't imagine that this would affect the warranty in any way. At 1400 miles, your engine is pretty broken in, so there are no 'do not sustain engine speeds above xxx rpm' restrictions to worry about. Biggest issue there is heat, but these guys are pros who have created dyno jet and PC kits for years, and I'm sure they know how to do it right. Also, I thought the PCIII was a 'plug and play' installation, that is, they use stock harness plugs so no wire-cutting is necessary. I doubt they will be doing any such hacking on your bike. I can't see the down side here; I would suggest if you have further questions or concerns (ie will they take responsibility for any engine damage, etc) that you simply ask them, and if you're real worried, get it in writing.