Powerlet outlet FYI

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TownsendsFJR1300

Reaction score
I have been using Powerlet BMW style plugs on all my bikes for quite sometime now.

While doing some maintainance I noticed some greenish corrosion inside a Powerlet plug (female end)on my KLR. The plug still functioned. I took it apart to clean it and noticed a very small weep hole (1/16" maybe) at the rear of the outlet. It was opposite the ground tang.

The KLR did not have the hole on the bottom so it was apparently able to pick up some moisture over time (daily driver, 4 years old, thru Florida rain, etc). I checked and didn't see any mention of this apparent drain hole on Powerlets site (instructions downloaded).

Needless to say, I had to re-adjust two outlets (not corroded) so the drains were at the bottom on my FJR.

If you have a permanent mount, female end, Powerlet, you may want to peek inside for any corrosion and to make sure the drain hole is AT THE LOWEST POINT to help prevent any moisture collection/corrosion.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip.

I think Yamaha puts the drain hole of various things on the left (assuming you use the side stand).

I also found the wires inside one of my Powerlets loose,and had to take it apart to tighten it. The symptoms were Battery tender working intermittent. While it was apart I put loctite on the wire screws.

A.C.

I should add, its the female end, permanent mount, that collects the moisture.

And yes, I've also had the male end wires work their way loose causing the same problems you mentioned...

Scott

Last edited by a moderator: