PR2 Tire wear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Bill

Reaction score
Love PR2's except it's hard to read tire wear. The sipes don't cross over center and it' difficult to see how much rubber remains in the center. I'm onsidering a trip on my existing tires but not sure how many miles they safely have reamining. About one inch from center the sipes have about 3mm tread depth. I'm thinking I'm good for a few thousand miles, but not sure. I can read other tires with sipes across center. Seeking advice.

Thanks, Bill

It depends on how far your trip is.

Safe rule for me is, when in doubt, mount a new tire. Keep that one for local ripping.

There's nothing worse than trying to find new rubber in foreign lands....

I am about to change my Rear PR2 - 9 k on it - i can see the wear bars closest to the middle are almost level with the tire, but more concerning, based on my metzler experience, i can see a very faint line all the way round the tire - so im swapping it out --
IMG_1246_zps3a368f18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
that faint line around the tire is nothing to worry about, it is an "antenna", no joke. I read an article in a bike magazine 4-6 weeks ago, and all tires,

even car & truck tires have them, check your front & you will see one there also. The article said that since rubber & silica are very poor conductors

of electricity they put this "antenna" stripe in the tires to help discharge static electricity. The article also said you probably are unable to see them

in car or truck tires BUT they are there and for a reason. Last set of PR2's I got 2 rears a little over 7,000 miles and the

front to 11,415 & probably had 4-5 k left but was cupping so replaced it when doing the rear.

In my experience with Metzelers I'd change it out at that point too. But not PR'2s. You've got a ways to go before you hit cords. If that were my tire I'd keep riding it locally when I don't have to ride in rain and I'll get home in time to change tires. But I wouldn't want to go far from home on it.

I agree about the thin line centered on the PR2 tire. I saw that right after I bought it. Still wish I could better judge what's remaining on my PR2 tire. My planned trip is just over 2000 miles.

Tires are so expensive today I hate to change them before they are due.

Bill

I agree about the thin line centered on the PR2 tire. I saw that right after I bought it. Still wish I could better judge what's remaining on my PR2 tire. My planned trip is just over 2000 miles.Tires are so expensive today I hate to change them before they are due.

Bill
No problem. You can retain peace of mind and easily determine remaining tread depth even without visible wear bars on most any tire:

core%20Samplers.png

I ride PR2's exclusively. Put over 175k on them between 2 bikes. (FJRs) I finally had an opportunity this winter/spring to ride a

PR2 front to the chords. Thought I would never get there! AFTER the tire is smooth you still have a ways to go. I finally packed a

tire for change out and rode 160 miles north to a friends for a swap. Like an idiot, I did not get a pic. Maybe Jim (fljab) still has the tire and

can take a pic of it? The tire had over 27k on it.

As far as the rear wear goes; I try to ride "B" spec tires which I believe give me longer wear life. Usually 15-18k is normal, but I have yet

to take a rear to the chords. Here are some pics from another posting that will give you some reference:

This tire had 14k on it:

When I cut into it for a project, I found it had many more miles left to give:

As you can see the chords still had a great deal of rubber on the outside. The inside rubber once you are through to the chords

wears pretty quickly. Was on a ride (RAT) when a rider rode 700 miles after the chords appeared. Not recommended, however it

is nice to know.

Those pictures are very helpful. I don't want to ride on marginal tires but I don't want to get rid of tires when they have lots of life remaining. A smooth center tread doesn't bother me because if it's a wet road I slow to a snails pace. What tire pressures are you using to get such long tire life?

Thanks, Bill

Those pictures are very helpful. I don't want to ride on marginal tires but I don't want to get rid of tires when they have lots of life remaining. A smooth center tread doesn't bother me because if it's a wet road I slow to a snails pace. What tire pressures are you using to get such long tire life?Thanks, Bill
I think my PSI (42/42) is not as big of factor in the high mileage as the lacking of stops/starts and the % of highway miles that I ride.

I tend to be a 9 over rider as far as speeds are concerned. I was told a couple years back about the front tire wear (After smooth),

but this was the first time that I have taken the time to confirm it. Most likely because I have started mounting my own tires now, and I

made it through since December on remounted used tires.

BTW Those tires have had an additional 6k added:

Boots Have New Sole - W/PR2 - Parts and Accessories - FJRForum

punk.gif

When the wear indicators are flush across (as shown in Gbjany's photo above), fully loaded, I've got about 750 miles before the center tread is gone and a wet weather ride is going to get "interesting". Basically, that means I can get home, but that's it.

Not to lean this toward NEPRD territory, but after 45,000 miles with the FJR, I can't get more than 9000 miles out of a rear "C" spec PR2 or PR3. I just can't. Real envious of 101STPathfinder and others that do much better.

Whoever invents a motorcycle tire that has the grip of today's products, but last 30,000 miles is going to be rich beyond their wildest dreams!