Prelimanary helmet test

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bike Effects

Reaction score
I have been an Arai wearing for many years and a Shoei guy before that. I recently purchased two new Scorpion helmets, and EXO700 and an EXO400. The 700 is for me which I will set up to use Etymotic ER6i's for my Starcom.

I am impressed by the quality of finish of these helmets. That includes the paint, the interior and the shield including the fit of the shield. Sizing seems to run the same as Arai and Shoei. The EXO 700 weights 3.6 pounds compared to my 3.2 pound Arai. This is so far the only downside of these fine helmets. I think the additional weight would be more of a factor while riding my R1 due to the fact I have to lift my head to see forward, which I don't need to do while on the FJR. I feel that the ventilation is better on the Scorpion than on my Arai. Back to back tests using both helmets on the R1 and the FJR show the Scorpion to be quieter as well.

I am pleased with my purchase and even more so considering the Scorpion is around $500 less than I paid for the Arai. And no, I don't sell these helmets.

I have been an Arai wearing for many years and a Shoei guy before that. I recently purchased two new Scorpion helmets, and EXO700 and an EXO400. The 700 is for me which I will set up to use Etymotic ER6i's for my Starcom.
I am impressed by the quality of finish of these helmets. That includes the paint, the interior and the shield including the fit of the shield. Sizing seems to run the same as Arai and Shoei. The EXO 700 weights 3.6 pounds compared to my 3.2 pound Arai. This is so far the only downside of these fine helmets. I think the additional weight would be more of a factor while riding my R1 due to the fact I have to lift my head to see forward, which I don't need to do while on the FJR. I feel that the ventilation is better on the Scorpion than on my Arai. Back to back tests using both helmets on the R1 and the FJR show the Scorpion to be quieter as well.

I am pleased with my purchase and even more so considering the Scorpion is around $500 less than I paid for the Arai. And no, I don't sell these helmets.

I bought two EXO400's for my kids. Like you, I'm happy with them. The fog free coating on the face sheild actually seems to work according to my kids.

What to you have to do to set up the helmet for Ety ER-6i's? I've got Ety ER-4p's and I can't stand using them in my Shoei. It feels like I'm going to rip out my eardrums when I take the helmet off.

Cheers,

Jim

BTW, Did you ever make it to the Yammy dealer in Helsinki?

I bought two EXO400's for my kids. Like you, I'm happy with them. The fog free coating on the face sheild actually seems to work according to my kids.

What to you have to do to set up the helmet for Ety ER-6i's? I've got Ety ER-4p's and I can't stand using them in my Shoei. It feels like I'm going to rip out my eardrums when I take the helmet off.

Cheers,

Jim

BTW, Did you ever make it to the Yammy dealer in Helsinki?

This is what I have to use the headphones. Not sure that it will help with the pulling off of the helmet.

Never had time to see the Yammy dealer.

I use the ER6is, and have recently purchased a EXO-700. No problems with the earbuds getting pulled out either putting the helmet on or taking it off. I agree with BE's review... really like the helmet. My only issue is that the foam cutouts for the ears are too high for me, meaning the bottoms of my earlobes are bent up to sit in the opening. I'm thinking a different sized pad set may fix this, or an exacto knife...

Oh, and Gary McCoy can sell these helmets cheaper than anyone else. Werd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been an Arai wearing for many years and a Shoei guy before that. I recently purchased two new Scorpion helmets, and EXO700 and an EXO400.
I recently purchased an EXO700 and an EXO400 after reading Motorcyclist Mag helmet test (June 2005.) I don’t know how I made the jump from the Z1R to Scorpion but I did. I needed a Street and a Racing lid. Bought the 400 for Racing and the 700 for the street. Both are Snell rated.

I use Sony MDR-EX51 in the ear buds for sound. I had some early issues with cord routing. I am pleased with the helmets.

Make sure you try one on before you buy on line. I thought that the sizing was off. I bought an XL when I thought I might need a Large.

I agree with Roz, the sizing seems to run small. I also bought a XL Exo700 when I fit into a large Shoei, Arai, and several others. Also like Groo, my ears do the same thing but prefer that over not having alarge enough ear pocket like my KBC VR1. The Scorpion is louder than the VR1. All that being said, for the price I am very happy with it.