Preparing the bike for a trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
So here's what I have planned. I know what farkles I'm putting on it, and I have most of them purchased. Some I'll install myself, but here's what I have planned for a shop.

Bike has a little over 24,000 miles ('03 model that I aquired September 08). But by the time I get back to it, it'll have been in storage for a year (I'm away from home). So I figure i'll bring it to a shop and here's what I have planned for the shop to do...

Oil Change

Fork Oil Change + new springs installed

Valve Clearance check (a little early, but every ~25,000 miles is easier for me to remember)

Sliders installed (I figure the fairing will be off for the clearance check, they can drill the hole and install the sliders for me.)

New tires front and rear (rear is VERY close to needing it, I'll replace the front to feel better about the trip)

This is the stuff I'll have done at the dealer. I'll be doing some small things myself (biggest thing I intend to do on my own or with a buddy is install a dauntless hitch).

So........is this probably doable for under a grand? I think it should be. Just wondering. That's my "budget" that I want to put into the bike when I get back (if I can go less I will, but I am trying not to go over)

Alexi

You can do some of that yourself. Even an idiot like me can change the oil and put on sliders. It'd save you a few bucks in labor and materials. I have to have a lot of similar work done on my '06 and I'm budgeting $500 if the valves are ok -- if they need adjusting, $800. It'll probably be less at my shop than some others, but I'm adding 10%. Oh, and don't forget fresh gas :rolleyes: .

Thank you for serving in the military, and I hope you have a great trip when you get home. Stay safe.

You should do all of it yourself. There's a great step by step on the valves check HERE

You'll save a bundle (more money for farkles!!!!)

BTW.............did you install the Galfer lines I sent you yet??

Thanks for serving.......glad your'e back :clapping: wait a minute...........are you back???

Last edited by a moderator: