Probably going to build a trailer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
Does this trailer . . . CLICK HERE . . . come with LED lights? If not, does anyone know how much power the lights it has would suck up? I can buy an LED light kit and swap the trailer lights from harbor freight, but want to know if it's necessary first.

Alexi

If you go to the DelphiForm's Motorcycle Trailer Towing, you will find a lot of discussion on Habor Freight trailers and others folks are using to build trailers. Additionally, there are other discussions on manufactured trailers.

You may have to register but the 'basic' membership is/was free except for ads on the user interface.

To answer your question, the HF trailer does NOT come with LED lights. You should be able to run the stock lights behind your FJR if you want, but you will need a 4-to-3 wire converter (usually on the tow vehicle side). Other choice is to run separate brake and turn signal lights on the trailer.

Harbor Freight now offers a complete trailer here, similar to those people would make using a cartop carrier.

Last edited by a moderator:
That trailer looks like a pretty good place to start some local customization! Replacing the lighting with LEDs would certainly lighten the load on the stator, and a little re-routing and tidying-up of the wiring runs along with painting the thing to match the bike... Not bad for the money.

I've noticed in a number of nationally distributed magazines that HF includes a 20% Off coupon, which could save you $80 toward the cost of the lighting kit and paint... I've seen their ad in NRA magazines, as well as a couple of the better m/c rags.

Don

I am sure this is not the cheapest trailer, but heck if I had to tow a trailer the SuperBike Trailer would be the only thing I'd consider, since you can still actually "ride" the bike the way it was meant to with this trailer in tow.

6414_114247990937_114032325937_2755600_6021460_n.jpg
6414_114247995937_114032325937_2755601_1204615_n.jpg
6414_114248740937_114032325937_2755623_7112511_n.jpg
6414_114248980937_114032325937_2755625_4468754_n.jpg

Magic of one wheel
SBT motorcycle trailer is designed for people who need to carry luggage with speed and style. SBT has a unique attachment design that allows motorcycle to lean normally in corners therefore allowing excellent handling in all circumstances, from maximum acceleration to efficient braking. Designers goal has been to match the technical evolution of superbike motorcycles in the 21st century and make bike owners able to use their bikes performance with more luggage.

SBT motorcycle trailer is hand-made and individually fitted to each motorcycle. SBT´s center of gravity is at same level with bikes engine making it more integrated part of bike than trailer. Trailer is put together from top class components materials that can appear with pride next to any motorcycle in the market. Precise fitting and individual set-up of Öhlins suspension gives each owner of SBT perfect possibility to enjoy driving experience.

Further information, technical data and more photos can be found from our website www.sbt.fi

Thanks for the site about trailering. Checking it out not. To tag on another question.....

8" tire vs 12" tire. We intend to use the trailer for four-day weekend trips. Not necessarily lots of long-DISTANCE trips, but more staying somewhere for a longer DURATION. I will take it on one very LD distance right after getting it though (up the east coast from GA to NJ and back). Worth it to get 12" tires? Cause Harborfreight has an attractively priced set up unit with 8" tires.

Alexi

Thanks for the site about trailering. Checking it out not. To tag on another question.....
8" tire vs 12" tire. We intend to use the trailer for four-day weekend trips. Not necessarily lots of long-DISTANCE trips, but more staying somewhere for a longer DURATION. I will take it on one very LD distance right after getting it though (up the east coast from GA to NJ and back). Worth it to get 12" tires? Cause Harborfreight has an attractively priced set up unit with 8" tires.

Alexi
I'd go with the larger diameter tire in ALL cases. I've never towed a motorcycle trailer but, having towed a number of U-Haul type trailers, you can have a problem with smaller diameter tires. They get caught in potholes and road seams much easier than the larger diameter tires. I've had the trailer with the small tires go airborne momentarily when it hit a large pothole that would have otherwise been a non-event with a trailer with larger diameter tires.

I am sure this is not the cheapest trailer, but heck if I had to tow a trailer the SuperBike Trailer would be the only thing I'd consider, since you can still actually "ride" the bike the way it was meant to with this trailer in tow.
I like it!
I agree I like the styling of the SuperBike trailer too, but at 90 Liters capacity it's a tiny thing compared to the Uni-Go at 140 Liters.

UniGo Trailers in Texas

Probably my biggest concern about a trailer on the FJR, is with stock suspension. The rear is already typically undersprung, then you add the load of a trailer with cargo and the typical two-up people load. I would think that aftermarket suspension with remote preload becomes a necessity.

I like it!
I agree I like the styling of the SuperBike trailer too, but at 90 Liters capacity it's a tiny thing compared to the Uni-Go at 140 Liters.

UniGo Trailers in Texas

Probably my biggest concern about a trailer on the FJR, is with stock suspension. The rear is already typically undersprung, then you add the load of a trailer with cargo and the typical two-up people load. I would think that aftermarket suspension with remote preload becomes a necessity.
And how well you balance the load so tongue wieght is kept to a minimum necessary for stability.

If I were going to get a trailer (something I've considered quite a bit!) I would probably get the one with 12 inch wheels, even if I was going to swap out different (wider, possibly larger diameter as well) wheels right off the bat.

The reason being, their trailer with the 12 inch wheels comes with a stronger, 5 lug axle, which means it will be easier for me to find bigger wheels if I want.

I think it would be worth the 70 bucks to get the better axle and 12 inch rims...

And as for that superbike trailer, it leaves me with 2 thoughts...1) can I get the 'lid' in clear/smoked so I my dog can see out

2) does that thing attach to the swingarm? It looks like it to me, and wouldn't that generate a serious increase in 'unsprung' weight, even if the thing has a built in pivot where it attaches to the swingarm?

Alexi
I've had lots of cheap trailers (car and motorcycle) with 8" wheels and never had a problem towing up to 80mph. That said, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to upgrade that HF cargo trailer to 12" wheels. You just have to figure out how to mount the fenders a couple inches higher.

The Superbike trailer behind the Ducatis looks cool, but I have to wonder about hanging that tongue weight on the swing-arm. Especially on a twisty set of curves that will have that trailer bouncing up & down.

???