Proper riding gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I just returned from a 100CCC IBA ride. On the return trip it rained (Down poured) from San Antonio, TX

to Jacksonville, FL. I was lacking in the "equipment" area to say the least. I had frogg toggs. I am looking

for an all purpose riding suit. I am leaning towards the Olympic air 2 suit, but was wondering if a full rainsuit

is needed to really stay dry (In addition to the riding suit) I Would really like some help from LD riders who

have experience with extended rain. Thanks

When its cool out I wear First Gear over pants that are water proof textiles and a Killi 4.0 3/4 length jacket. Both have kept me dry in days of rain, I do treat the gear with clothing treatments like camp dry. The Killi 4.0 leaks at the front packets a bit, I stay dry though.

In the heat I wear all mesh Olympia or First Gear pants with a mesh jacket, I have a few to choose from, Air Glide, Phoenix 5.0 etc.. Then its road toggs over that. The toggs have done very well for me and pack down very small..

I want something tighter fitting than the toggs too, I'll probably go with the Tour Master Sentinel Rain Jacket with the matching pants next spring, its claimed to be breathable.

Jacket link

So I am a rider who has ridden long distances in extended rain for weeks on end and my usual gear is first gear overpants and Kilamonjaro jacket with FroggToggs as required. Usually I only wear the upper FroggTogg as the lower seems to stay dry in everything but torrentail downpours. Mine never leak (I'm on my second set/weight loss). I just have to be careful that my neck area is properly covered and wet does not wick down from a scarf or whatever peeking out over the Togg. My rain fashion is accompanied by the 'stitch triple digit overmitt (used frequently), and rubber booties (used very infrequently). My rule of thumb however is err on the side of caution and use the gaer early cause it's a long 30 days when you get the under stuff really wet! :)

I use a 1 pce 'stitch all the time. I wash it once per year whether it needs it or not, using Nik wash for gortex fabric and Nik wax treatment. The material is water proof, the zippers could leak, if you're annal you can seal the seams but I don't bother. I have been in heavy rain for over an hour on the interstate and all day light rain with no problems - plus you get the crash protection and don't have to screw with a rain suit. It's hot in the summer when in slow traffic but fine when moving well. This is my second year on my second 'stitch', the first lasted 10 years, was still good although grubby due to my infrequent washings - just felt like I wan't a new one. You can find cheaper but I doubt you'll find better.

I wear mesh gear and in the rain, a Tour Master Sentinel rain suit. I had a Tour Master Defender previously, destroyed in a crash, and would like to have it back. It was less expensive, easier to put on and take off, and packed smaller. Also one price included jacket and pants, they are separate with the Sentinel.

The Sentinel has this lining that's supposed to ventilate it, I suppose, I didn't see much difference in how it feels inside it, but the pants are MUCH more difficult to get on and off over boots than the Defender pants were.

Both kept me dry for extended periods. Wore the Defender from Pensacola to Birmingham in October 2007, and crashed. Duct tape would not be enough to make it waterproof again. Insurance was generous so I "upgraded" to the Sentinel.

Defender pants had suspenders that go on over your armor jacket but under the rain jacket. The Sentinel jacket and pants zip together like armor gear.

My mesh gear has waterproof liners, but it's far less convenient to install those out on the road. You have to find a sheltered place, remove all your gear, snap in the liners, and resume. You stay dry, but the shells get wet, so you're stuck with the liner even after the rain stops, 'cause your gear is wet. Liners are good if it's chilly, though.

Here in the deep south I just can't wear waterproof gear as everyday stuff. It's too f'ing hot. Rain suit does the job.

My boots are Tour Master Solution, everyday wear going on 19 months now, and good as new, and crash tested. Never had wet feet.

My rain gloves are actually a waterproof winter glove, they feel kinda clumsy compared to my Joe Rocket Phoenix 3 summer gloves, but my hands stay dry unless I let my arms hang and the gloves become buckets. That's annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the past 3 years I have used a First Gear Kilimanjaro 4 jacket & First Gear HT Overpants exclusively when making any long rides or when there is a chance of rain locally.

I've ridden from Norfolk, VA to Natchez, MS via Jacksonville, Key West, and Pensacola, FL and back to Virginia via Knoxville, TN & Asheville, NC. In the summertime this combination can be warm when in stop & go traffic, but as long as I keep moving I really don't have a problem. At higher elevations and in cooler conditions, without an electric vest or some type of layering, this combination can be a little chilly.

After three years some of the stitching has started fraying pretty bad on one shoulder and the yellow has really faded. The reflective material still looks good and the jacket is still waterproof, though I do treat it yearly with NikWash & NikWax. I am buying an Aerostich Darien jacket now to replace my Kili. My understanding is that the GoreTex of the Darien is lighter than the material of the Kili which should be better during summer use.

HTH

+1 on Iboldguy's comments. The Roadcrafter is the best all-around, do almost everything anywhere riding gear. Will it stop every molecule of H2O in a torrential downpour at 60 mph for 12 hours? No, but nothing short of a car will do that. I put 60K on a 2-pc R'crafter with scarcely a leak when riding a full-faired bike like the ST13 and FJR. I replaced it last year with an Olympia AST jacket/Ranger pants combo which is close to the Roadcrafter and a lot less money. The AST does seep a little at the upper arm vents, especially on the FJR because that's right where the wind blast and rain hit me. Except in temperatures over 85 or so, I'd go with the RC 2-pc or AST/Ranger, and never have to stop to "suit-up" when the rain comes.

BTW, the extra large dishwashing gloves old by Aerostich work great as over-gloves in the rain. And my Sidi On-Road Sympatex boots haven't leaked a drop in six years.

pete

I am leaning towards the Olympic air 2 suit, but was wondering if a full rainsuitis needed to really stay dry (In addition to the riding suit) I Would really like some help from LD riders who

have experience with extended rain. Thanks
The Olympia Airglide 2 gear that I have (jacket and pants) have mesh panels for airflow, but also come with combo waterproof/thermal liners. The problem is that it's all one liner, so if you're riding in wet, warm weather, you have a choice of getting wet or sweaty. :blink:

The Tourmaster mesh pants that I just bought as a gift for my son come with two separate liners (one for just rain, the other which is insulated).

I just go with the Olympia gear and carry along my Remington breathable, waterproof 2-piece rain suit.

If you can afford a few extra buck The Aerostitch 'Roadcrafter" is the king of all weather riding. Bar none!

If you can afford a few extra buck The Aerostitch 'Roadcrafter" is the king of all weather riding. Bar none!
Or..., Roadcrafter/Darien Combo:

3931091873_1a4cbcf013.jpg

For almost any weather conditions, any time:

Motoport/Cycleport mesh gear with zip-in Goretex liners

Daytona Goretex lined boots

Any high quality goves with Aerostitch Three-finger waterproof overgloves

I've tried a lot of gear over the years but nothing beats the 'Stich Darien jacket and pants for touring IMHO. My 1 Pc 'Stich always leaked but the Darien has never let me down. I'm on my second jacket (went with the Light version this time). My original Darien pants have been re-worked by the factory twice over 10 years and may never wear out.

I just splurged on the Aerostitch Transit suit. Rode in some really heavy rain yesterday at the Dragon. Other than my hands I stayed completey dry. I also have their AD1 textile pants. They have kept me 100% dry in some really havey rain at SFO. Good stuff!

I've had real good luck with AeroStitch rain gear and Cruiser Works for the boots. I have both for more than 6 years. The boots were comfortable from day one, wear great and are good enough for every day. It's been my experience that the AeroStitch is stiff when new but it'll loosen up in time.