Protective Film - Bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
I keep dragging me durn heal across the right bag when I mount the FJR :( . I thought I read here before some creative solutions for this issue - but can't seem to locate the topics. Anybody got some tips on how to protect the bags such a using 3m film or the Tank Slapper film?

Kind Thanks

Scott

I used the Tankslapper film and it worked fine. Of course it was the place that needed it most and was the hardest place to apply it (Murphys Law in Action!) I did get it on there and it worked good. I eventually got used to mounting and dismounting without kicking that darn bag. Problem is everybody that walks into my garage wants to mount my steed. No matter how clear I yell to them not to kick the bag, it happens. I think I need to grow a pair and tell people to get the heck away from my bike!

I prefer the 3M film for the side bags.

Tank slapper material just gets too dirty and then will start to lift when it is exposed to wind at speed.

I find the tank slapper material just fine for the tank, 3M stuff everywhere else.

(Headlights, lower cowl, etc...)

You can get both from Lucas

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Zen, if you decide that you'd like to try the Tankslapper, I think that I have those pieces unused. I'll send them to you free if I do. My bags are screwed already & I doubt that I'll ever use the stuff on them. What my bags need is a paint job! If interested in these, I'll look for them. PM me, Heidi

Be aware... I hear that they are a serious PIA to apply properly. Use a solution of 1/2 rubbing alcohol & 1/2 water in a spray bottle to apply.

dj Bill, I am pretty sure that all of the Sargent covers are actually black. Your moniter may show maroon... but I think that it is supposed to be black.

forget the film, just climb up on the roof and jump mount it from there.

hahaha! good one!

So, did you decide... if ya' can't beat 'em, join 'em? Welcome to the smart ass club.

Zen, got your PM. Will look for those strips tonight. Pretty sure that I know where they are.

Heidi

One of the Administrative Idealists set me straight. It is more fun being a smart ass than a delicate flower.

I have the Tankslapper film on the corners of my bags. I found it easier to apply and stretch (especially on the rounded corners) than the 3m film. So far so good. I was always hitting the damn thing but now try to step over my saddle versus "swing" my leg over. Seems to make a difference but then again my height helps (6"4").

Tankslapper does not seem to have just a bag kit. Looks like you have to buy the Total Protection Kit to get the bag stuff.
Tank Slapper

<_<

scott
In my experience Lucas will sell you a single piece of film for any part you want, you just have to ask.

It's just his shopping cart is not setup for single piece orders.

I would call him or send an email.