Prototyping - lockable, metal or plastic, weatherproof tank locker

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
Hey gang.

I'm reaching out to a local fab shop today to look into prototyping a lockable tank locker. It'll be either steel or plastic (they can manage both). Prime requirements is that it's paintable ( ;) ), sturdy and weatherproof.

I'm going to order up a couple tank mounts from somewhere like SW_Motech (post up ideas for others if you know of them).

I made a mockup in cardboard this weekend and plan to drop it off to them later this week.

I want to stress that as of right now, there is NOTHING for sale on this project. If we reach that point, I'll start a post in the vendor/for sale section. Until the prototyping is complete, I have no clue as to actual costs anyway...

My intent is to gauge interest based on the concept. I'd like to pursue this whether anyone is interested or not, as it's something I personally want. The goal is for the unit to somewhat match the lines of the bike, or at least have some organic curves. It should be capable of holding a camera (small digital), a wallet, some keys, change, gum, etc., and a garage door remote under a lockable cover.

No clue as to how to divide the interior or if I even will yet.

I want something that I can leave locked onto the bike, that itself will lock securely and will be waterproof (not carwash waterproof, but heavy rainfall waterproof).

The mock up I have fits nicely on top of my tank, sits easily between the handlebars even at full lock left/right. It's not too tall, and you can lean over it easily. There is no blocking of any sightlines forward, so the gauges, lights, triple tree top plate, etc remain in full view.

I have no idea if it'll matter, but if folks like this idea, the fab shop might lower my protoying price based on potential production later on. Doubtful, but even if not, it'll help me understand if I might be able to take this further after prototyping. Given the expense is in the prototyping, if I know a few folks want one down the road, I can save potential costs by making changes to the production run, as opposed to creating another prototype for myself. ;)

For the records, this does NOT resemble a coffin... ;) Think more like a teardrop...

No, I don't have pics right now. (Sadly, you WILL need to use your mind here...sorry. I know, that's asking a LOT these days... but visualize... :) )

So, a simple post saying yeah, you like the concept and it's soemthng you'd consider as a purchase if the price were right is enough.

Worst case, I'll ignore ya'll ... ;)

duane

I'd be interested. One of the reasons I don't use a tank bag is I don't like to carry it around, and I don't want to leave it on the bike unsecured. Something that is lockable and waterproof sounds good to me.

I would like to put my MiniDV camcorder in it. I have a remote lens for the camcorder to do ride recordings but have yet to hook it all up to the FJR.

I'd be interested. One of the reasons I don't use a tank bag is I don't like to carry it around, and I don't want to leave it on the bike unsecured. Something that is lockable and waterproof sounds good to me.
I would like to put my MiniDV camcorder in it. I have a remote lens for the camcorder to do ride recordings but have yet to hook it all up to the FJR.
This is the main reason I'm looking into this. :)

Flip me the rough dimensions of your camcorder Dr. Just want to make sure what I'm planning fits. I'm guessing it already will, but I can easily make small adjustments to my measurements when I meet up with the fab shop to discuss/review the mock up. The design & space can easily accomodate an additional 1/2" here or there, too. ;)

duane

UPDATE:

OK, I just ordered the locking ring for the fuel tank. Should be here by the end of this week, early next. We'll need to fab the piece that fits into this as part of the project. No desire to start from scratch with mounting rings when I can just buy one online now. ;)

I also spoke with the fab shop - the project seems, based on my info sent to them, pretty straight forward they say. Right now they are thinking given the curves I want and the limited need for absolute strength, that this project will be built with ABS plastic. Fine with me, as that's easily paintable to match our bikes! A couple of the guys at the shop ride, too, so they quickly understood my plan. :)

In my mind, and ABS body and stainless hinge should take care of most weather related concerns in the near and long term. I'll need to chat with them about making sure the ABS is stable under long-term exposure to sun. ;) This might end up swapping to metal, however, as I'm going to try to spec a thick wall-thickness to "overbuild" the thing a bit (more strength, less heat issues, more secure, can hold more weight). Not very secure if someone can crush it with one hand, I figure... :( This could drive the price up enough to warrant a switch to metal - we'll see...

ABS will also minimize weight on the tank ring. (The ring I bought is rated up to almost 40 lbs - cannot see this application stressing it. :) )

A hinged lid will come pre-drilled to mount a lock - in my case, I'm going to pick up another factory matched unit from my dealer so it's keyed to the bike like my sidecases and top case. :)

Plan of record is when I have the mounting/locking ring in hand, I can swing by the shop with the ring, the mockup and my bike. That'll likely happen early/mid next week as time permits on my end. No idea what it looks like from that point. Likely a couple hours with them that day, then back and forth a few times to come up with something to actually hold. I'll need to work on sourcing some rubber sheets as well, so I can cut gaskets to seal the lid to the body of this contraption. I'm thinking of a recessed area around the lid to enable the lid to sit flush with the body. The rubber gasket would be sandwiched in this recess.

I'll post up as progress is made, or if the whole thing falls apart. Much as I'd like to pursue it further, if they come back to me and say a prototype is going to cost $1000... ah, this is a dead end...